Cash - On the way out.

john luke

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

555 so you wanted Pizza , had a card or phone to pay for it , but didn't just to piss off the guy ...

I love the fact we can pay for almost anything by card or phone ... you don't end up with pocketfuls of coins at the end of an day out 

I have a huge whisky bottle full of coins , I haven't added much to it over the last few years , I used to empty it every year ... reminds me I should take it to the bank ... no need to bag it up anymore either , just pour it in the coin counter machine  

progress is a wonderful thing. 🙂 

Can work both ways so carry both, always keep about £50 in fivers and tenners in my wallet. Had my card declined in Poundland the other week for some strange reason, wouldn't work on contactless or entering pin. Also today, stopped off for a haircut after work across the road. Lady said her card machine was playing up and could only pay cash only, turned away the customer before as they were card only.

Need both as technology is not perfect and does go wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Can work both ways so carry both, always keep about £50 in fivers and tenners in my wallet. Had my card declined in Poundland the other week for some strange reason, wouldn't work on contactless or entering pin. Also today, stopped off for a haircut after work across the road. Lady said her card machine was playing up and could only pay cash only, turned away the customer before as they were card only.

Need both as technology is not perfect and does go wrong.

Same here , currently have £80 in my wallet ... but can't remember the last time I went to a cash point ... I was doing my Dads shopping during Covid and he always paid me with cash , I just put it in a drawer , still using that 555

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Same here , currently have £80 in my wallet ... but can't remember the last time I went to a cash point ... I was doing my Dads shopping during Covid and he always paid me with cash , I just put it in a drawer , still using that 555

I'm the same, only use the cash when I need to, not as a regular thing. Just sensible to have back up to your cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

555 so you wanted Pizza , had a card or phone to pay for it , but didn't just to piss off the guy ...

I love the fact we can pay for almost anything by card or phone ... you don't end up with pocketfuls of coins at the end of an day out 

I have a huge whisky bottle full of coins , I haven't added much to it over the last few years , I used to empty it every year ... reminds me I should take it to the bank ... no need to bag it up anymore either , just pour it in the coin counter machine  

progress is a wonderful thing. 🙂 

I was acting like an arsehole, but I do tend to do that sometimes. Like the time I met the guy who bullied me relentlessly at school...

45 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Is there a reason behind that ? 

Cannabis legalization is only at the state level. Banking is governed by federal statues. Cannabis is not recognized as legal by the feds. Makes it tough on shop owners as all transactions are completed in cash. This is dangerous as there are a lot of robberies.

. . .

Cash-only marijuana dispensaries flood California tax office with paper
The businesses are legally unable to write checks or make credit card transactions, raising questions of safety as people carry huge sums

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/16/medical-marijuana-dispensaries-california-tax-cash-only#:~:text=That means medical marijuana dispensaries,or make credit card transactions.

...California, like all states with any form of legalized marijuana, faces a growing problem over the federal government’s position that cannabis remains a Schedule 1 illegal drug, classified the same way as heroin or LSD, with no legal uses – and therefore no legal access to traditional banks.

That means medical marijuana dispensaries, along with growers, distributors and other marijuana-related businesses that are operating legally under state laws, have no choice but to be cash-only businesses. They can’t write checks, deposit money in financial institutions or make credit card transactions.

“We’ve been a cash industry for ever and it has been quite a problem,” said Kimberly, the director of a non-profit dispensary in Sacramento who asked that her last name not be used for safety reasons. “We don’t want to drive around town paying our bills in cash. We want to be able to just go to the bank.” ...

Edited by lazarus
  • Great Info 4

If I were a business owner I would certainly want to offer both options to my customers. Why risk alienating a potential customer because you only accept one payment method. And if the business owner was so inclined, easy to have some "shrinkage" in cash, less so when there's an electronic trail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Listened to a fascinating late night discussion (my sleep pattern is fcukked) on this topic last night on GB news.

If its a cashless moiety so easy for the government to seize control of an economy. Examples given were the Canadian truckers Go Fund Me 8 million dollars suddenly frozen and the Chinese State control of the Yuan during lockdown.

Thought provoking topic ........ I brought a grand UK to Thailand this last trip and came back with the same amount intacto. Just tapping card in restaurants and stores these days ..... cash does makes you more cautious of spending I find.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Listened to a fascinating late night discussion (my sleep pattern is fcukked) on this topic last night on GB news.

If its a cashless moiety so easy for the government to seize control of an economy. Examples given were the Canadian truckers Go Fund Me 8 million dollars suddenly frozen and the Chinese State control of the Yuan during lockdown.

Thought provoking topic ........ I brought a grand UK to Thailand this last trip and came back with the same amount intacto. Just tapping card in restaurants and stores these days ..... cash does makes you more cautious of spending I find.

Problem with not using cash is it's easy to lose track of spending.

Tapping away like a fucking woodpecker and find out when you check your account you've done your bollocks.😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Problem with not using cash is it's easy to lose track of spending.

Tapping away like a fucking woodpecker and find out when you check your account you've done your bollocks.😂

I like the Revolut app , sends you notifications as you spend and also sends a total for the day 

also means you don't get left with foreign currency at the end of a holiday

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

I like the Revolut app , sends you notifications as you spend and also sends a total for the day 

also means you don't get left with foreign currency at the end of a holiday

I check my balance daily and what I've spent where. Can surprise me sometimes how much I spent.

I would say that 95% of my spending is on two credit cards, both offering rewards in the form of cashback. Payment for the cards are collected by direct debit, one on 8th or the month and the other on 29th.  I know my statement dates and collection dates so am able to ensure sufficient funds in my current account to make the payments.

luckily here cash still works well.  i prefer it and some gray dosh is always good.

mrs. got me onto the phone app, which i fought but now find handy.  but paying by swiping the card is a no no for me, to easy to overspend or lose track.    the phone app is cool, and easy to use, just, accountingly, dangerous

so i prefer real mulla 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

I only use cash in Thailand for everything apart from hotel bookings which automatically get debited from my CC via Booking.com. 

I'm the same. Used to take travellers cheques and cash mixture when the fee to cash them was cheap.

Would always end up hammering the ATM when I do my budget early on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

I'm the same. Used to take travellers cheques and cash mixture when the fee to cash them was cheap.

Would always end up hammering the ATM when I do my budget early on.

220 Baht for using an ATM these days daylight robbery.

• Like 2
  • Surprised 3

5 hours ago, nampla69 said:

220 Baht for using an ATM these days daylight robbery.

That only applies to bank cards issued by a bank or institution which is based outside Thailand.

Thai bank account plus Wise seems the most efficient way to obtain cash in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, john luke said:

That only applies to bank cards issued by a bank or institution which is based outside Thailand.

Thai bank account plus Wise seems the most efficient way to obtain cash in Thailand.

Fair enough , but that's out of reach (the account) for the average person on holiday.

• Thumbs Up 1