Cash - On the way out.

john luke

2 hours ago, Chokdeekap said:

I hardly ever used money when I lived in Qatar , I used to have a Uber account so that’s transport covered  to the bar , and I used my debit card while in the bar ,if I wanted food I used a good delivery app that I had an account with ..I had a few small denomination notes for tips ....

One time when I was working in Norway I was queuing for the ferry to get off the island and head for the airport when I panicked as I realised I'd no cash.  Started to think about it and I'd not had any cash for the whole two months trip. Of course the ferry took cards. 

I'm resisting going cashless but it's not being made easy. 

The automated check-out at my local supermarket won't accept cash. A pub I go to sometimes won't accept copper coins (yes, they are within their rights). 

I didn't ask for it but the bank turned my debit card into contactless, so now I'm having to deal with Transport for London on a card clash problem. Subsequently, the bank has replaced my debit card with a non-contactless one. 

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, rajs123 said:

I was thinking during my last trip how convenient it would be for the 7-11's to have a prepaid card that one can use in Thailand. Maybe there is already one?

I can not understand why all developed countries dont have a system like HKG Octopus card. Can pay MTR, buses, ferry, 7/11, etc... You top it up at any 7/11 or at special machines in the MTR stations.

I think Japan is even more developed in this field. Smart wallet in the phone etc...

• Like 1

Always cash in Thailand, contactless Debit card in UK, for small purchases under £30 and PIN number for over £30 and for online or very large purchases we always put it on wife’s credit card and pay off in full every month. I get daily bank notifications for purchases made on my Debit Card, so I can see what my balance is.

We use CC for piece of mind if the product or purchase goes South and we can get all our money back without any hassle.

We do pay cash to some people, like gardener, handyman, plumber etc, but that’s usually around £200, no more and I know they’ve done a good job for the money because I’ve seen it with my own eyes. All other bills are paid by DD or Standing Order.

3 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Always cash in Thailand, contactless Debit card in UK, for small purchases under £30 and PIN number for over £30 and for online or very large purchases we always put it on wife’s credit card and pay off in full every month. I get daily bank notifications for purchases made on my Debit Card, so I can see what my balance is.

We use CC for piece of mind if the product or purchase goes South and we can get all our money back without any hassle.

We do pay cash to some people, like gardener, handyman, plumber etc, but that’s usually around £200, no more and I know they’ve done a good job for the money because I’ve seen it with my own eyes. All other bills are paid by DD or Standing Order.

Look at the HiSo with his gardener.😀

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, galenkia said:

Look at the HiSo with his gardener.😀

The wife tends to the roses and the stuff in pots and I can just about do a bit of watering with a hosepipe, but me old knackered bones don’t allow me to get down and dirty anymore I’m afraid. So shelling out a grand or so a year is money well spent.🤗

I’d concrete it all over and paint it green if I had my way, but she won’t let me. 😟

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunDon said:

The wife tends to the roses and the stuff in pots and I can just about do a bit of watering with a hosepipe, but me old knackered bones don’t allow me to get down and dirty anymore I’m afraid. So shelling out a grand or so a year is money well spent.🤗

I’d concrete it all over and paint it green if I had my way, but she won’t let me. 😟

You need some of that plastic grass.Looks okay and no maintenance.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:10 PM, Rompho Ray said:

The ulterior motive is actually that cash transactions are not traceable, so the government can't tax you as easily, and they can't keep track of your spending as readily.

I'm not taxed anymore or any less. I'm making purchases, which are taxed at the same rate whether via cash or credit. Credit gives me cash back or travel rewards.

Government keeping tracking of your spending? Well, that ship sailed a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Kathmandu said:

I'm not taxed anymore or any less.

If someone doesn't report all their income, the government can figure that out if the person buys everything with credit.

2 minutes ago, Kathmandu said:

Government keeping tracking of your spending? Well, that ship sailed a long time ago. 

Only if cash is traceable now.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I can not understand why all developed countries dont have a system like HKG Octopus card. Can pay MTR, buses, ferry, 7/11, etc... You top it up at any 7/11 or at special machines in the MTR stations.

I think Japan is even more developed in this field. Smart wallet in the phone etc...

From a tech standpoint and personal loss preventions the top up cards like octupussy and rabbit card here is like using dial up internet. Will be a thing of the past within 2 years. Digital Wallets or QR code payment system is where it is all at. Sure octupussy will partner with a digital wallet platform if they haven't all ready. LINE and Rabbit have partnered here.

Outside of paying a moto scooter taxi i could easily go cashless and cc-less here in bangkok no sweat today. 

https://appsynth.net/blog/thailand-cashless-economy/

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

not in aisa, here u will sign every card transaction. most if not all never ask for pin numbers except at ATM here.  

I am happy to report that is changing in BKG especially for kasikorn card holders be it debit or credit. 6 months ago, never asked for a pin, today, prob about 50% of places i frequent have been supplied with new processing machines and i am asked to put in a pin and not asked to sign anything. 

I see this as a huge step forward and at current velocity of implementation i would guess 50% will be 90% before july 1.

Edited by STARGAZER

16 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

From a tech standpoint and personal loss preventions the top up cards like octupussy and rabbit card here is like using dial up internet. Will be a thing of the past within 2 years. Digital Wallets or QR code payment system is where it is all at. Sure octupussy will partner with a digital wallet platform if they haven't all ready. LINE and Rabbit have partnered here.

Outside of paying a moto scooter taxi i could easily go cashless and cc-less here in bangkok no sweat today. 

https://appsynth.net/blog/thailand-cashless-economy/

Octopus is not traceable to me or my ID. I buy it without ID. I recharge it with cash.

Any QR or digital wallet is linked to the phone, which is linked to me. Worst, the recharging process is likely linked to my bank ?

So it is an additional weak entry point for any hacker or malware.

Yeah, yeah, I know I am old fashioned.....

3 hours ago, tommy dee said:

not in aisa, here u will sign every card transaction. most if not all never ask for pin numbers except at ATM here.  

Amusing here in Aus when I use my K-bank credit card.. Swipe card then place back in wallet... then sales peep (some have) say WTF... it needs a signature ?.....

I smile and sign it... ask them if they want to compare signature on card and they just give me a puzzled look !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Amusing here in Aus when I use my K-bank credit card.. Swipe card then place back in wallet... then sales peep (some have) say WTF... it needs a signature ?.....

I smile and sign it... ask them if they want to compare signature on card and they just give me a puzzled look !!

I have used credit and debit cards in my wife's name for 99% of every purchase using plastic in last 10 years. My plastic is foreign, so easier to use local. Never once when I sign my name has anybody ever said, hey that signature doesn't look like the signature on back of the card. (which is in thai, not even english) Never once.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, STARGAZER said:

Never once when I sign my name has anybody ever said, hey that signature doesn't look like the signature on back of the card. (which is in thai, not even english)

In Thailand I used to sign credit slips "Mickey Mouse" and "Ronald Reagan" until some Thais started saying that my sig didn't match the name on the front of the card.  However, when I was down for the count, I was able to let Tum use my debit card to go shopping.

Concerning debit card processing, in the US you can skip the signature part by just pressing "enter" when the machine asks for a PIN.  I suppose they're supposed to give me a thing to sign, which I would, but they never seem to.  Not sure what to make of that.