Cash - On the way out.

john luke

9 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

In Thailand I used to sign credit slips "Mickey Mouse" and "Ronald Reagan" until some Thais started saying that my sig didn't match the name on the front of the card.  However, when I was down for the count, I was able to let Tum use my debit card to go shopping.

Concerning debit card processing, in the US you can skip the signature part by just pressing "enter" when the machine asks for a PIN.  I suppose they're supposed to give me a thing to sign, which I would, but they never seem to.  Not sure what to make of that.

Same on the debit card thing here....the new processors that I encounter more every day....same thing as USA,...enter PIN, hit enter, and it spits out a receipt of purchase with details, but no place for a signature. No need. 

More and more cardless ATMS around town now as well.

32 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

I have used credit and debit cards in my wife's name for 99% of every purchase using plastic in last 10 years. My plastic is foreign, so easier to use local. Never once when I sign my name has anybody ever said, hey that signature doesn't look like the signature on back of the card. (which is in thai, not even english) Never once.

using my thai card in Thailand.. no signature needed... not sure why it is needed here.

Singing credit card chits left Aus a long time ago, hence the surprise when requested.

Been hassled many times in Thailand when signature on paperwork does not match signature in passport.

• 2 weeks later...

Its the future...

I have more and more customers doing transfers and contractors doing the same.

I got the bus the other day and he seamed put out that i give him a fiver and every one else had a smart phone and used a barcode...

Her indoors tells me she buys the rides in bulk and then just uses her mobile.

• 1 month later...

In the UK I tend only to use cash in pubs or on the very rare occasion I get a taxi.

In Thailand I use cash for everything except hotel payments.I try to only take with me enough for the night plus a bit extra.Probably stems from being mugged in 1981.

In Romania I used to use cash but now have a Santander Zero card which does not charge for overseas payments.Use cash for taxis.

The Mint is still printing money and coins as we are soon be going to replace the £20 note with the new plastic design and there are still billions of pounds circulating as cash. 

Although what Rompo said earlier is true in the sense that it will be easier to identify spending,  it is also easier for many services to accept electronic payment.  That said, there are still many things that are paid for will cash, especially small businesses and market traders, coin operated vending ad of course hookers who do not have card machines to take payment.  I cannot see a totally cashless society happening, not eve in 20 years, but who knows. 

Will we be going to the foreign exchange counters in Pattaya, using debit and credit cards to exchange for cash?  I cant see that either 

There is something quite nice about the smell and feel of cash. I hope we never lose it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

The Mint is still printing money and coins as we are soon be going to replace the £20 note with the new plastic design and there are still billions of pounds circulating as cash. 

Although what Rompo said earlier is true in the sense that it will be easier to identify spending,  it is also easier for many services to accept electronic payment.  That said, there are still many things that are paid for will cash, especially small businesses and market traders, coin operated vending ad of course hookers who do not have card machines to take payment.  I cannot see a totally cashless society happening, not eve in 20 years, but who knows. 

Will we be going to the foreign exchange counters in Pattaya, using debit and credit cards to exchange for cash?  I cant see that either 

There is something quite nice about the smell and feel of cash. I hope we never lose it 

I never had you down as a sentimentalist.  😄

When in Thailand, I have a tin money box, (it was a freebie’ with Cambell’s Soup) and when I get back to the condo if I have any five, two, one or half baht coins Iput them in the tin.  

This is trip I have noticed a lack or one, two and half baht coins.  I am wondering if these are being phased out.

2 minutes ago, john luke said:

When in Thailand, I have a tin money box, (it was a freebie’ with Cambell’s Soup) and when I get back to the condo if I have any five, two, one or half baht coins Iput them in the tin.  

This is trip I have noticed a lack or one, two and half baht coins.  I am wondering if these are being phased out.

I always simply throw them in the bin...

Same as in HKG with the 10 or 20 cents coins. Till one day an ex Chinese HK live in saw me doing and went "What ? You're throwing money in the garbage bin ? Are you crazy ?"  🤣🤣🤣

Honkies never joke with money !  Anyway, she lasted 4 months.....

NB : the 50 cents I kept, taped them together in rolls of 10, and used them in 7/11....they hated it !  Never one said anything, but those eyes...😡😡😡

1 hour ago, john luke said:

I've got a load I can swap with you for the paper variety if you like...

15519244657892392279247870181496.thumb.jpg.9f526019f2643c33816be4cc5433f795.jpg

I'm keeping the 10s, but will throw in the batteries. They're flat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Painter said:

I've got a load I can swap with you for the paper variety if you like...

15519244657892392279247870181496.thumb.jpg.9f526019f2643c33816be4cc5433f795.jpg

I'm keeping the 10s, but will throw in the batteries. They're flat.

1 hour ago, Starshine said:

That's Baht bus money.

1 hour ago, Painter said:

That's why I'm keeping the 10s.

The rest just wear holes in my pockets!

In Yorkshire we believe:-

'Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves'?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, john luke said:

Feckin coins, my "money box" was an 18lt water bottle from a water chiller thingo... used to fill them easily in 1 year and gave it to the inlaws, no idea  how much was in it but they were always very happy.