Cash - On the way out.

john luke

What about Apple Pay Phil?
Do you do cash-back like the UK Supermarkets?[emoji846]

Technically I’m not supposed to do cash-back as it can get charged VAT if I do it too much, but will do it for friends. I’d be happy to take Apple Pay when it launches in Thailand.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, Sir_Fondles said:

Why would it concern me ?

"Lek, Big Boobs A Gogo Pattaya, short-time fee" might make for an interesting entry on a credit card statement....

It's not just the control that governments get over you and the massive risks, there are A LOT of terrible unintended consequences if things went entirely cashless.

Edited by Stickman
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Stickman said:

"Lek, Big Boobs A Gogo Pattaya, short-time fee" might make for an interesting entry on a credit card statement....

It's not just the control that governments get over you and the massive risks, there are A LOT of terrible unintended consequences at the possibility cashless could become a thing.

At least it would help remembering all their names 😉 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

It's not just the control that governments get over you and the massive risks, there are A LOT of terrible unintended consequences if things went entirely cashless.

Why would that be on a credit card statement ?

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

To hide the fact you actually booked Bruce, ladyboy, massive cock.

Not sure what the credit card statements are like in your home country but mine just list the business name and transaction amount.... ever an actual breakdown of what the payment was for.

Be funny as f**k to see a monthly statement with full  breakdown of just my weekly visits to the supermarket !!

Edited by Sir_Fondles

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54196300

No new 2p or £2 coins to be made for 10 years

By Kevin PeacheyPersonal finance correspondent
Coins on dictionaryImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Anyone who likes to see a new production date on their coins is set for a disappointing decade.

The Royal Mint has no plans to make new 2p or £2 coins for the next 10 years.

A coin mountain lies in storage as demand has dropped, in contrast to banknotes.

The issue was revealed in a wide-ranging report on the future of cash by the National Audit Office (NAO) warning it could become harder to access by those who rely on it.

It warned that the authorities were not keeping up with the pace of change in digital payments - leaving those who needed cash at risk.

Ten years ago, cash was used in six out of 10 transactions but by 2019 it was used in less than three in 10 purchases.

The NAO said the coronavirus outbreak may have accelerated the trend.

Despite the decline in cash use, a riddle remains over demand for coins and banknotes.

£1 coin
Image captionThe old, round £1 coin was withdrawn from circulation in 2017

Coin-making has been cut by The Royal Mint but stocks of every coin in circulation are exceeding its targets. For £2 coins, the hoard is 26 times over target.

A spokeswoman for The Royal Mint said 2p and £2 coin production could return if needed.

"We constantly monitor the demand for coins from the banks and Post Offices, and seek permission to manufacture more from HM Treasury," she said.

These coins have not been needed because lots of old coins were returned to circulation when the 12-sided £1 coin was launched in March 2017.

Everyone had six months to return their old round pounds and emptied savings jam jars or money stores at work, sending the entire contents back to their banks.

In contrast, demand for banknotes has been rising and there is little reliable information over the whereabouts of £50bn worth of notes in circulation.

They are not used in transactions or held as savings, but may be overseas, tucked away in homes unreported or being used in the "shadow economy".

Got £500's worth of Turkish Lira a couple of days ago, great rate, and absolutely going back to the hotel we were just at next year, brilliant time.

Anyways, thinking many must have had the same idea, i got 4600 odd Lira in 10's and 20's ffs, was like a brick, no joke! It was all made up already, lady giving it to me was looking nervous saying that's a lot of money, i said but it isn't, it's just all small denomination notes lol. 

I tried to buy some Brazilian Lira when it was over 7.5 during lockdown , but at the time none of the online firms were handling cash .... my first trip to Brazil the rate was 5 and the worse I've seen it was 1.80 .... my Nov trip has been cancelled now ... still thinking about it , the agency's are now handling cash again 

our local supermarket had in the selfservice section 6 cash/card machines and 4 card only plus cash withdrawl.

last week they changed to 2 cash/card machines and the rest card only,and only 2 that you can withdraw cash

the checkout chicks was not happy,a lot of pissed off old dears

regards

grayray

On 12/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, galenkia said:

Seems the more the banks encourage cashless spending,the more your money/card security seems to be at risk.I prefer cash myself and will use it as much as possible on smaller purchases.Plus its easy to lose track of spending with a card and spend more than you think.

That is just what uk government want, everyone losing track of what they spend , living on the bread line so the government have everyone on a bit of string. I will use cash for as long as possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54545830

Will we be getting our cash from shops, not ATMs?

By Kevin Peachey
Personal finance correspondent

Published
CashIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES

People will be able to ask for cash from local shops - even if they do not buy anything, under government plans.

The Treasury proposals come amid growing concern over cash deserts, when local communities have little access to notes and coins owing, in part, to the closure of bank branches and ATMs.

It also wants the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to take control of securing the future of cash.

A major report recently criticised the "fragmented" response to the issue.

Virus effect

As the UK moves towards greater use of digital payments, the use of cash is predicted to decline. Ten years ago, cash was used in six out of 10 transactions but by 2019 it was used in fewer than three in 10 purchases.

Experts say this is likely to put the infrastructure of cash delivery and processing at risk, leaving people in some areas - particularly in rural locations - unable to deposit or access cash easily.

Two reviews have said that older and lower-income consumers who tended to use cash more would be put at risk if nobody took responsibility for stopping the slide in cash access. One said the UK was "sleepwalking" into becoming a cashless society.

Now the Treasury has launched a six-week "call for evidence", inviting views on how to ensure withdrawing and depositing cash would still be possible, as well as asking how to improve cashback, what affects cash acceptance, and where regulatory responsibility should sit.

It said cashback from stores of all sizes without the need to make a purchase could play an important role in the future.

The Treasury said EU law made it difficult for businesses to offer cashback when people were not paying for things, meaning it was not widely adopted. It was considering scrapping these rules.

In contrast, last year, shoppers received £3.8bn of cashback when paying for items at a till, making it the second most used method for withdrawing cash in the UK behind ATMs.

John Glen, economic secretary to the Treasury, said: "We want to harness the same creative thinking that has driven innovation in digital payments to maintain the UK's cash system and make sure people can easily access cash in their local area."

Hay-on-Wye
image captionHay-on-Wye, home of a major book festival, is one area that will hold a trial

The timing of the review may be considered as curious - coming shortly after eight trials were announced to test ways to help solve problems with access to cash.

The trials - including tests of no-purchase cashback - have months to run before drawing any conclusions. A Treasury spokeswoman said the call for evidence was "compatible and complementary" with the trials.

The Treasury also wants views on putting the Financial Conduct Authority in charge of ensuring that the cash system benefits consumers as well as small and medium-sized businesses.

In September the National Audit Office said it could not currently see a clear link between the government's aim to protect access to cash and which of the various public bodies involved in overseeing the cash network could actually make it happen.

Natalie Ceeney, who led the Access to Cash Review which revealed eight million people were at risk in the UK from the demise of cash, said: "This [Treasury consultation] is increasingly urgent. Last year we warned that the UK was sleepwalking into a cashless society. Covid-19 has placed even greater strains on the whole system.

"The devil will be in the detail and I look forward to seeing the government's proposal in full."

• 3 months later...

Some time ago I took a decision to pay for goods and services electronically rather than cash; obviously I can not do that effectively in Pattaya and over there I have a money tin in which I place any coins of 10 baht and below. 

I have now been back in the UK since 2nd April 2020; the only outlets that I use that are cash only are the barbers,the window cleaner and the green grocery stall in the local market.  Everthing else I am able to pay for using a card or Apple Pay.

Previously I used to end up with pockets full of change which ended up in jars until the amounts were large enough to place it in bags and either take to the bank or exchange at local traders.  It will be over a year since I last did a coin clear out to the bank.

I am pretty pleased with myself as the cash pile in a small jar totalled £6.02p.  I am quite happy to live without cash.

read other week that they maybe increasing card payment limits from 45 to 100 pounds.which is a good idea in some ways as a lot spent just short of that a week in supermarket.

personally i always carry cash with me due to job of being a trucker.then when i get home at week end put the notes in a time then all loose change in a few emptt coffee jars i have.every few months take notes into back and put in saving towards my next trip soon mounts up last time 400 pounds.then i do the coins just before i fly out few weeks before.last one was 9months since last trip and came to 345 in coins bagged up and put in savings.can cave about 12/1500 that way between trips plus the money i put away every week when i get payed.as set amount is put in saving every day after pay day

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

read other week that they maybe increasing card payment limits from 45 to 100 pounds.which is a good idea in some ways as a lot spent just short of that a week in supermarket.

personally i always carry cash with me due to job of being a trucker.then when i get home at week end put the notes in a time then all loose change in a few emptt coffee jars i have.every few months take notes into back and put in saving towards my next trip soon mounts up last time 400 pounds.then i do the coins just before i fly out few weeks before.last one was 9months since last trip and came to 345 in coins bagged up and put in savings.can cave about 12/1500 that way between trips plus the money i put away every week when i get payed.as set amount is put in saving every day after pay day

Think £100 is too high for contactless payments. Gonna lose £300 before you have to enter the pin if your card is lost or stolen. 

And good luck in getting it refunded back in to your account. 

• Like 1