How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Horizondave

Drones paralyse Britain's Gatwick Airport

Whomever it was I hope does every single day of the maximum 5 year sentence. They will catch them. 

Though the preparations and response by the authorities for this type of thing is embarrassing. Clueless, literally.

I fly from Luton on Saturday. While it will be more busy from the knock on and rescheduled flights or passengers, if there is no new disruption tomorrow, all planes etc should be in the right place and good to go for Saturday. Most fights would be full anyway.

As someone with a child, I really pity those stuck at the airport with kids, or going on honeymoon etc. 

If it happened on Saturday, it would a taxi back to here, call to back home, sorry, can't come. No way sitting there all day with 10's of thousands of others looking to get a seat as well. 

No doubt it will be someone with 'autism' or ADHD or similar, or that will be the defence anyway. 5 years, hope they do every single day!

• Like 2

Some may think the airport shouldn't close but if a solid object like a drone hit a plane or got sucked into an engine and caused an accident those same people would probably be shouting loudest in criticism.  

Maximum penalty 5 years ........ the law has not kept up with technology.

If we let this go without 20 year sentences every environmental nut job on the planet will be down at Argos next Christmas and all you Brexit free trade merchants can kiss the side of a Boris Johnson bus. 

We have the army (remember best in the world) ...GCHQ (remember best in the world) .... police (OK not bad and not corrupt anymore and a bit too PC)...... and can't catch probably some 17 year old geek and his pet iguana. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Strange story. Wondering if there is not something else behind it.

No pics or videos of the things although I guess there must now be 100's of reporters on the spot. Why can police or army choppers not do some flying in the zone, slighty above the drones altitude ? Would enable to see them, and likely the swooch (?) of helicopter rotor blades would destabilize them and crash them. Snipers on board of the helos, shooting downwards ?  A lot of discussion and questions on this story on Pprune forum.

Note that at the same time Germany is on alert and has taken special measures at several airports against a suspected terrorist treat. Simple coincidence ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

No pics or videos of the things although I guess there must now be 100's of reporters on the spot. Why can police or army choppers not do some flying in the zone, slighty above the drones altitude ? Would enable to see them, and likely the swooch (?) of helicopter rotor blades would destabilize them and crash them. Snipers on board of the helos, shooting downwards ?  A lot of discussion and questions on this story on Pprune forum.

Note that at the same time Germany is on alert and has taken special measures at several airports against a suspected terrorist treat. Simple coincidence ?

I blame les Gilets Jaunes ............ well we've got to blame someone .......... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

There were police copters flying around trying to locate the pilot

2 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

I blame les Gilets Jaunes ............ well we've got to blame someone .......... 

I'll pass the idea on to my comrades....drones draped in yellow jackets this weekend !

• Haha 1

Just now, Stillearly said:

And armed Police with sniper rifles.

But a drone has been spotted there again in the last hour.

It's negligent that the contingency plans for this is seemingly non existent. Over a full day this has been going on  now, why did they not have a plan bar close the airport down ffs. 

Probably some space cadet with a £100 drone ffs.

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Nearly mission impossible, very easy to hide for a single under any structure. Besides that, it seems some drones can be programmed for a certain flight path, so the operator does not need to be in the open and doesn't need to keep it in sight, and no upward/downward signals.

The thing will fly a fix pattern and return to land where is has been programmed to.

This being said I am not an expert. Where is our Phantom driver when you need him ?

Great signal to any and all terrorist organisations or lone wolf on how to disrupt the entire country within minutes.  No need to source bomb making ingredients, just pop into Argos with £25.

Apparently ,every time Gatwick had planned to re-open the runways the drone or drones reappeared . I'm just wondering how some daft Cnut operating a drone would know the exact time of opening of runways and then sending out their drone again. 

Its also been on tv that this sort of thing can be prevented by using a couple of bits of technology whereas the drone bounces off radio waves or something similar. Not sure how exactly but airports in the UK are not permitted to use them yet.

another country are training birds of prey to bring down the drones .

in any case ,it's one fecked up day at Gatwick .110,000 passengers affected so I hope whoever did this gets the book thrown at them and does some serious jail time as that's the least they deserve. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever excuses or way this is spun, it's embarrassing a drone, whether modified or not, can cause this much disruption for so long.

Luckily it seems like it's just some sad fucker, not a planned terrorist attack. 

Shambles!

@Aqualung, the "drone chasing bird" thing was tried in the Netherlands but abandoned after 1 year.  Not sure if by animal lover who did not agree to sacrifice or injured a bird to catch a drone, or simply because it didn't perform.

A simple way would be using a drone to crash into the "ennemy" and bring it down. Little risk when over an airport or fields.

But again with health and safety rules in the UK, this would probably need to go through months of approval...

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

@Aqualung, the "drone chasing bird" thing was tried in the Netherlands but abandoned after 1 year.  Not sure if by animal lover who did not agree to sacrifice or injured a bird to catch a drone, or simply because it didn't perform.

A simple way would be using a drone to crash into the "ennemy" and bring it down. Little risk when over an airport or fields.

But again with health and safety rules in the UK, this would probably need to go through months of approval...

I think it was either France or Italy not sure but the footage I saw showed a big eagle bringing down a drone with ease. 

Either way, drone on drone would probably be better .

My bet is some geek or geeks with apparently 'autism' or some eco warrior freaks. 

Cunnts should get hammered either way.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

I think it was either France or Italy not sure but the footage I saw showed a big eagle bringing down a drone with ease. 

Either way, drone on drone would probably be better .

France uses falcons at CDG to chase away flocks of birds since long time. Never heard about trying them against drones but could be that they tried it.

3 minutes ago, matthewh said:

should be banned.

Well you did say you wasn't going to post on this forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, roomark said:

Well you did say you wasn't going to post on this forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

water under bridges flows very quickly.

• Haha 1