Soi Pothole

dcfc2007

The subsurface is just sand close to sea level. No drainage and nothing substantial to lay a surface on. I believe it would need a good steel reinforced concrete road to last. Probably not going to happen unless the whole area is going to be rebuilt.

Sent from my ASUS_X013DA using Tapatalk

It still looks in better condition than it was 2 years ago. I wonder how long before it gets another layer of asphalt from the city at no cost to the owners. I know its privately owned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If the private owners were serious about spending money on the road then it would have to be closed and repaired in sections over at least several weeks. That could cripple local businesses.  It's the only soi in the area that has never received any proper maintenance apart from continual filling in of potholes which just return even days after.  They might as well just pour down packets of Kellogs Frosties.

That said, it kind of gives the place a bit of character 😃 As has been said many times, the only thing to do long term is to knock the whole street down and rebuild. I wonder if or when that will ever happen. 

Lighting is of course the other issue and at night it is a death trap if riding a bike and if wet, stepping in or tripping up in the potholes. Many people only walk about half way up anyway, coming from the Triangle end.  Once full of Laundry shops, now awash with massage parlours. 

I use PT laundry there and I use my motorbike to get there and it can be a bit tough at times and I agree if it rains you can't see how big those potholes may be. The only way I see this being a proper road is if the city blocks the road as a danger and the owners are forced to get the job done. I don't expect that to happen though either. It was nice after the last paving when I could glance at the girls as I drove down the road.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

If the private owners were serious about spending money on the road then it would have to be closed and repaired in sections over at least several weeks. That could cripple local businesses.  It's the only soi in the area that has never received any proper maintenance apart from continual filling in of potholes which just return even days after.  They might as well just pour down packets of Kellogs Frosties.

They recently resurfaced the whole of beach road Bangsaray in under a week which is several times over the length of Soi pothole and they made a pretty good job of it. All its lines are now painted and several sections with warning markings etc.

It can be done correctly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just to give some perspective on what could happen on Soi Chaiyapoon-  A city bus got eaten by a sinkhole a few days ago on  a street in downtown Pittsburgh, PA.  The exact cause still isn't known, but professor types say it has to be water erosion in one form or another.  Some of the buildings on the edge of the sinkhole were evacuated.  Water, gas, electricity and drain pipes and lines have been capped and bypassed.  Fiber optic cables apparently weren't damaged.

BusIntoSinkhole-102919.jpg

sinkhole.jpg

The sinkhole below opened up in a street in Fukuoka, Japan, a few years ago.  The city officials fixed it in exactly SEVEN days.

sinkhole-fix-fukuoka-japan-1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Surprised 1

• 7 months later...

During lockdown would have been the best time to have done some more serious work on the Soi but too late now. 

It has been patched so many times over the years and always ends up the same of worse. 

It requires serious investment which is clearly not going to happen. I suppose it has its charm but with poor lighting at night it can be a death trap. 

Don’t understand this obsession with having a modern road....... we want hidden away side streets and back alleys where we can be left alone..... sort out this road and we’ll find the council starting to think about making it more family friendly 

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 2:02 PM, forcebwithu said:

Soi Pothole is steadily growing a new crop of holes. Expect it will become much worse in the coming weeks as that soi is seeing a lot more vehicle traffic than in the past.

The holes in front of Duangjai Bar have been concreted over and is blocked off by a couple of breeze blocks and a bin.......

27 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

The holes in front of Duangjai Bar have been concreted over and is blocked off by a couple of breeze blocks and a bin.......

I try to avoid the holes there 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, KhunDon said:

They should fly in this expert pothole filler from the UK. 

It would probably be cheaper and last longer than the crap the Thais laid in that Soi. 🤗

They would have to change the name to Soi under construction 🦺 

road works in the UK go on forever 

• Like 1