Soi Pothole

dcfc2007

Just now, thegrogmonster said:

If they are only scraping 4" off the top it won't be long before it starts falling apart again. I think they need to remove all the old surfaces till they reach dirt again and then start from scratch again.

This is only my opinion as I am not clued up on civil engineering issues.

Had a similar problem on the flyover near my house when i lived by Heathrow airport.Have a lot of buses and lorries heading into the airport,and one bad winter it started falling apart.They repaired it two or three times but within days they would reappear.So they just dug it back down to the concrete and relaid it and it was fine after that.Caused a few weeks traffic congestion but at least it cured it.

it was and   probably still is privately owned by the family that OWNS 90% of the soi buildings. its never been adopted by the city but has always been a drain from thrid road during floods.  a lot fo the smaller sois are terrible too but this is the worst.  I have known probably 6 resurfacings along there.  come august it will be a mess again.  imagine what the foundations are like down there!

• Like 1

Just walked up the soi. No sign of any machinery  but lots of uncleared rubble. It's almost like they have scraped it flat and back to the level of the drains, and left it. At the 3rd road end there's little been taken off, at the other there's a 6+ inch "kerb " up to the buildings on each side.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

If that was in the UK the place would be littered with bodies, lawyers camped at each end of the street, compensation street.

One of the group of companies i worked for had a road building division and regularly had very large contracts on the books.

One such was the Newbury bypass, which they built. They surfaced it with a new type of asphalt and all looked fine until one day around 6 months after it was completed, a large lorry slammed its anchores on and the surface rippled up like a loose carpet. 

Apparently, the liquid bitumen was to blame (not supplied by us) as it was laid when there was a crosswind, which caused problems with the asphalt sticking to the underlying surface. 

The result was, the whole dual carriageway surface had to be removed and replaced with a new surface. The costs ran into 10’s of millions, which we paid and later got back from the bitumen supplier. 

If a company as big as that sometimes gets it wrong, what hope for a group of Thais in balaclavas and a couple of shovels getting it right!  

Corners will be cut, brown envelopes will change hands and they will all be back next year, ready to make more money for the bosses. 😡

Edited by KhunDon
  • Great Info 3

Until the underlying problem with drainage of heavy rain and flood water is solved, regrading and resurfacing the street will only be temporary fixes.  The drainage problem can't be solved without the investment of billions of baht and considerable disruption of traffic due to construction, so I can't see that happening anytime soon. Pattaya will continue to limp along through cycles of flood damage and temporary fixes.

Evil

14 hours ago, Chokdeekap said:

Seeing as it’s privately owned they are only throwing money away , not making any ... 

You have to speculate to accumulate. 

Had it been mine, I would have hired a water suppressed diamond road saw along both edges of the proposed new road. That way, the JCB operator was working to a clean edge and it’s a lot easier to tidy up the pavements after road is resurfaced to the clean edge, rather than leave them a complete mess for people to try to negotiate!

Edited by KhunDon