Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^ That's what an AQI index of 156 looks like.

image.png

Another nail in the coffin.

People from the West don't go on holiday to face extreme polution. Specially not in a beach ressort.

Except the ones coming from even more polluted places like Chinese or Indian cities....

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Another nail in the coffin.

People from the West don't go on holiday to face extreme polution. Specially not in a beach ressort.

Except the ones coming from even more polluted places like Chinese or Indian cities....

This is far from extreme. I think the pic @CampariO posted is a good example of what extreme looks like. It's only when you look at an object in the distance that you would notice the haze in the air.

Now if you're here for heavy sports activities it would be a different matter, but for chasing LBFM, eating and shopping the pollution isn't going to have any effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Perhaps no IMMEDIATE effect but what about the long term damage it is doing? 

Definitely there is concern for us living here about the longer term damage it's doing to us, but the post I was replying to was about people not choosing to come here on holiday because of the pollution.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is far from extreme. I think the pic @CampariO posted is a good example of what extreme looks like. It's only when you look at an object in the distance that you would notice the haze in the air.

Now if you're here for heavy sports activities it would be a different matter, but for chasing LBFM, eating and shopping the pollution isn't going to have any effect.

21 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Definitely there is concern for us living here about the longer term damage it's doing to us, but the post I was replying to was about people not choosing to come here on holiday because of the pollution.

My point was on Thailand trying to attract "good tourist", not drinking mongerering whorechasers.

The "family tourist" will not go to a poluted place... I mean, would YOU expose your kids to that ? 

45 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

My point was on Thailand trying to attract "good tourist", not drinking mongerering whorechasers.

The "family tourist" will not go to a poluted place... I mean, would YOU expose your kids to that ? 

I think the family tourists will be moreso other places than Pattaya though, islands etc. Maybe even Chiang Mai, which if not clued up about time of year, could be even worse. 

46 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

This hardly gets reported anywhere outside of Thailand and most tourists won't even notice. I spent 5 days in Jomtien and didnt notice a thing myself. 

Bright blue skies up in Isaan by the way. 

22 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I think the family tourists will be moreso other places than Pattaya though, islands etc. Maybe even Chiang Mai, which if not clued up about time of year, could be even worse. 

C.M. has the burning problem, I know. Same as some areas of Indonesia, mainly Sumatra and Kalimantan (on Borneo island). The winds blows it to SGP as well. Lucky nothing in Bali.

21 minutes ago, Esco said:

This hardly gets reported anywhere outside of Thailand and most tourists won't even notice. I spent 5 days in Jomtien and didnt notice a thing myself. 

Bright blue skies up in Isaan by the way

Nothing better than the air (and the smell) of the countryside !

• 2 weeks later...

I've downloaded a handy app called AirVisual to see the air quality in your location. 

It's ok here for now but bad at night because of all the sugar cane burning that's going on. During dinner two days loads of "black snow" came down here. 

Pattaya looks as bad as Bangkok.. 

Screenshot_20200119-084505_AirVisual.jpg

What's great about the pollution app is it gives the general public an avenue to information about how bad the pollution really is. The cynic in me believes if it wasn't for easy access to the real AQI numbers, the Thai govt would be telling everyone move along, nothing to see, there is no pollution problem.

5 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

What's great about the pollution app is it gives the general public an avenue to information about how bad the pollution really is. The cynic in me believes if it wasn't for easy access to the real AQI numbers, the Thai govt would be telling everyone move along, nothing to see, there is no pollution problem.

Question is where does the app gets the data / info from ?

51 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Many stations collecting this data all across Thailand and the rest of the world.

Last year you had to get the readings from a Thai gov website who showed the readings of key places across the country, this app simply consolidates all those readings in one handy place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Esco said:

Many stations collecting this data all across Thailand and the rest of the world.

Last year you had to get the readings from a Thai gov website who showed the readings of key places across the country, this app simply consolidates all those readings in one handy place.

IIRC, the Thai govt was using PM10 for reporting AQI numbers, rather than the more damaging PM2.5. Thus the numbers didn't seem as bad when compared to other countries reporting their PM2.5 numbers. Once the slight of hand was revealed they now use PM2.5.

• Like 1

Realtime feed of the raw data from monitoring stations around Thailand. The key is it's the raw data so the numbers are not fudged.

20 minutes ago, Esco said:

I recently watched a docu on D.W. on the subject.

And one of the key subjects was the location of all those sensors. An example was one located at street level, 50 m from a traffic light in centre of town. That one will always give exagerated bad readings, as it is a place where cars accelerate and polute the most.

Of course the opposite would be one in the middle of a parc.

So, for sure to have a fair "view" a strategic location of all those sensors is important ? And will influence the results !

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Realtime feed of the raw data from monitoring stations around Thailand. The key is it's the raw data so the numbers are not fudged.

From people who have bought air quality monitors.

Questions arise like

• the quality of the monitor
  • when was it last calibrated
  • where is it situated (in the house)
  • the number of contributors to a locations reading

00000.png

https://www.techhive.com/article/3356448/best-indoor-air-quality-monitor.html