Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

I can recall a only a handful of times when the AQI reading in Bangkok dipped below the 120-150 mark. Many days it was closer to 200. Combine that with the heat and humidity and it’s sickening trying to walk around. Recently it’s been in excess of 200 almost daily and in some occasions 300. This is not some Greta Thunberg pseudoscientific nonsense, that sort of pollution will do serious damage to your health.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I can recall a only a handful of times when the AQI reading in Bangkok dipped below the 120-150 mark. Many days it was closer to 200. Combine that with the heat and humidity and it’s sickening trying to walk around. Recently it’s been in excess of 200 almost daily and in some occasions 300. This is not some Greta Thunberg pseudoscientific nonsense, that sort of pollution will do serious damage to your health.

We've decided to skip Bkk for this reason and stay Pattaya instead.

Has similar AQI ratings perhaps but last time I could literally taste and feel effects of the smog in Bkk while it didnt bother me so much in Pattaya..

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Esco said:

We've decided to skip Bkk for this reason and stay Pattaya instead.

Has similar AQI ratings perhaps but last time I could literally taste and feel effects of the smog in Bkk while it didnt bother me so much in Pattaya..

On a short trip it won’t be so bad but with a small child it’s wise to avoid exposure to that level of pollution. I wouldn’t raise a child in those sort of conditions.

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

yes, when i wrote it will have been around 6 o clock matey, u were still akip 5555.  changes as the sun rises i guess

This photo was taken at 7am Monday morning in Bangkok. According to the weather forecast it should be sunny. That’s absolutely horrendous. Whilst the prime minister is useless I do agree with his comments today that the govt is powerless as whatever the authorities try to do the public simply won’t comply or co-operate. They are a lawless bunch.7BE6565F-C3E5-4FAC-B340-30D97E6E2163.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

On a short trip it won’t be so bad but with a small child it’s wise to avoid exposure to that level of pollution. I wouldn’t raise a child in those sort of conditions.

This photo was taken at 7am Monday morning in Bangkok. According to the weather forecast it should be sunny. That’s absolutely horrendous. Whilst the prime minister is useless I do agree with his comments today that the govt is powerless as whatever the authorities try to do the public simply won’t comply or co-operate. They are a lawless bunch.7BE6565F-C3E5-4FAC-B340-30D97E6E2163.png

yeah pattaya was broggy at 6am too.  i am to a wedding in bkk friday/saturday, think i will take an 02 tank and mask

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Esco said:

Spent 10 days here and the air didnt really bother me and more importantly the wee man. Glad we gave Bkk a miss this time. 

Living here and it doesn't bother me either. And I'm out riding around in the muck on my mtn bike pretty much every morning. If I had a compromised respiratory system I would probably be singing croaking a different tune though.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Living here and it doesn't bother me either. And I'm out riding around in the muck on my mtn bike pretty much every morning. If I had a compromised respiratory system I would probably be singing croaking a different tune though.

Problem is you get used to it.

When living in HKG I seldom "felt" or "tasted" the pollution as I lived in it.

Going back for a holiday after one year in Bali, I definitively could feel the effects of it. Smell, and light headache. 

Simply, I thought "the air stinks here".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Thai Spice said:

Problem is you get used to it.

When living in HKG I seldom "felt" or "tasted" the pollution as I lived in it.

Going back for a holiday after one year in Bali, I definitively could feel the effects of it. Smell, and light headache. 

Simply, I thought "the air stinks here".

I go back to BKK 1 week or 10 days every month ... I guess I am used to it ... I never pay any attention to the AQI or anything else ... just go do my business , then out for a some beers

Some early mornings you can see the pollution ( really "heavy" ) about 5 feet above the street level -- just floating ---

The amount of 24 hour construction ( everywhere -- they are building the sky train extensions ) doesn't help any ... and the traffic is your worst nightmare ....

When I get back home in the South I cough and spit out shit always .. for the first day or two .....

I consider myself lucky I don't have to endure BKK every day ... BKK has changed so much over the years ( it is still one of the best cities on the planet for all types of fun though )

Edited by code_slayer_bkk