Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

Those levels are bad, but I experienced worse in Bangkok, over 300+ on the AQI on some days. The air was thick with smog, I'm young, fit and healthy, and it made me physically sick. It was horrible, couldn't walk 100m combined with the heat.

this morning at sunrise the visiblity was under 250 metres.  most of the morning I was feelin actually ill from it.  to the point I wore a mask even in the damn car.   big storm for about 20 mins this aft may help., I hope so as totday wqas bad.  count over 200 at that time

I drove down from the northwest this morning and really not much sign of the smog until I got close to Bangkok then it seemed to clear by the time I went past swampy.

I did not go through Pattaya taking the new road in the direction of Sattahip but leaving at the "Jomtien Beach" exit. The nearer we got to the Sukhumvit road the worse the smog got and it actually began to effect my contact lenses which began to dry up. All the tall condo complexes along that stretch of the Sukhumvit road where shrouded in smog.

Sai said to me "It is going to pour down with rain in a minute."

To which I replied "No, that is just the smog getting worse."

As we got closer to Bangsaray I could hear the thunder and it began pissing down.

"Told you." said the resident back street driver who had spent the last eight hours telling me I was driving too fast!

I swear this is true.

I was overtaken somewhere near Nakon Sawan by a guy on what looked like a "Fino" scooter. I was doing 120kph at the time! 🤣

Edited by Jambo

On 12/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, forcebwithu said:

Nasa Fire Map paints a different story. Hardly any burning taken place currently in Thailand.
image.png

This is what the Fire Map looks like when the burning gets going. 16 Jan, 2019.
image.png

What I think are the source pollutants now are industrial airborne pollutants and vehicle emissions.

Not to mention deforestation. Almost the entirety of central Thailand and the Eastern seaboard has been deforested. Small hills in saraburi completely excavated to make way for megafactories and warehouses. Bangkok for a city of its size is almost devoid of green space aside for small pockets like benjakiti and lumpini.

I couldn't believe what I saw from flr. 25 of VT 6 during early Dec. I don't think it has improved since then. Ive never seen anything like it. A thick haze that hung all day....every day. A real eye opener when you can see it from that angle on a daily basis. Very ugly sight.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks pretty grotty today, AQI this afternoon is around 130 and very hazy, but I don't smell anything nasty in the air like smoke. I had a decent stroll along Jomtien Beach and didn't feel the negative effects of air pollution that I often do these days.

This was taken about halfway between Soi Chaiyapruek and Soi Wat Boon, looking towards Bang Saray. You can just about make out the hills to its west across the bay if you look hard enough.

IMG20201223123938.jpg

And this one is from the same area of the beach, looking towards Koh Larn. It's there, but not very clear.

IMG20201223130227.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

First thing I noticed taking the dogs for a walk this morning is how bad the air quality looked. Not a good day to be out and about exercising.
image.png

image.png

Yep been same here on Soi Siam for a couple days now in the AM. 

20 minutes ago, fforest said:

I tried to take a picture but phone cameras do a very very poor job of showing the pollution for some reason....

Agree on that. This is a pic I took with my Olympus TG5 camera. Think the pollution has interfered with its autofocusing. But you still get the idea when you see how hazy the Max hotel looks and the sky above.
P2040001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

The high pressure from China that's keeping the air stagnant here and preventing the pollution from moving very far should start to recede over the weekend and into next week and hopefully the air quality will improve as the lower pressure system brings wind from somewhere other than a northerly direction.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Might be time to get the N95 masks out lol

Wearing mask is pretty much a last resort.....From my balcony I have pretty much front row center seats to the pollution horror show every day, but its a great view when the pollution goes away......

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Wearing mask is pretty much a last resort.....From my balcony I have pretty much front row center seats to the pollution horror show every day, but its a great view when the pollution goes away......

Social distancing from air pollution is difficult and something that can have large repercussions on respiratory and cardiovascular systems. especially when the AQI is over 1000.  Pattaya isn't quite hazardous but to be out in the open is not a thing you want to do for long periods.

Asians for years have worn masks in the big cities long before the pandemic came to town.

Enjoy your view.

I used to have a great view from my balcony at Condo 88 in Hua Hin but I can't remember much pollution. 

A large Chang or Leo always helps.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Out for a bike ride this morning and was thinking the haze sure looks thick this morning. AQI confirms what I was seeing. Not a healthy day to be out exercising.

image.png

Not looking good for @Jambo in Mae Sot either.

image.png

It is a result of all the crop burning that goes on around us but I had no idea it was as bad as shown in your chart. 😬

No sign of any blue sky just haze.

It was however very windy yesterday which I am not sure was a good thing or not?

Back to Bangsaray tomorrow if we get through the check points.