Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

This may have contributed to our misery here.

Elevated levels of PM2.5 in Bangkok point to raging rubbish dump fire in Samut Prakan

Bangkok, Thailand, has seen the worst air pollution levels of the year so far today. An uncontrollable fire raging for two days straight at a rubbish dump in Samut Prakan province, just south of the capital, has pumped PM2.5 dust into the air.

A fire has plagued a landfill site in the Phraeksa district since Tuesday night in an area covering more than 100 rai of land. Praeksa district firefighters deployed over 20 fire engines but the fire is still not under control two days later.

Local residents are complaining about suffering from a cough, sore throat, burning eyes, and a foul smell in the air. Residents are taking out their daily tasks with great difficulty amid the thick smog.

At 8am this morning, the Air Quality Index (AQI) measured a “very unhealthy” (purple) 262 in Samut Prakan. In Bangkok, levels hit an “unhealthy” 198 this morning (red).

At 10am, Bangkok was ranked the third worst city in the world for air pollution.

image.png

Ahhhh ! Geezus f**k, what a mess !

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Damn that is cheap. How big of an area does that cover ?

Oh... looking now that is a detector, not a purifier.

Here's two posts about the air purifier I have. Looks like that model is no longer available on Lazada, but to give you an idea of cost I paid 3,302B back in Dec 2016.

• Great Info 2

Just now, forcebwithu said:

Here's two posts about the air purifier I have. Looks like that model is no longer available on Lazada, but to give you an idea of cost I paid 3,302B back in Dec 2016.

That is around what I am expecting to spend for a unit that can do a good sized room. Sadly I am afraid that now they may be difficult to find. In the meantime I'm running the A/C big time.

39 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Back from my morning bike ride and this is probably why I don't have a hacking cough like I did last week.

image.png

I was just going to comment on this thread that it seems a lot clearer today both in visablilty and air quality than previous days following my morning wander. I'm still coughing like a goodun,  but that's probably due to my thai man 'flu...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:35 PM, Painter said:

I was just going to comment on this thread that it seems a lot clearer today both in visablilty and air quality than previous days following my morning wander. I'm still coughing like a goodun,  but that's probably due to my thai man 'flu...

I didn't check the numbers today up in CM. But on my walk I could actually clearly see the mountains. Noticeable difference.

28 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I didn't check the numbers today up in CM. But on my walk I could actually clearly see the mountains. Noticeable difference.

Air pollution is not always visible.

. . .

Invisible Air Pollution: I Don't Believe My Eyes!

https://www.teachengineering.org/lessons/view/cub_air_lesson03#:~:text=Abbreviated as CO.,pollutants%2C VOCs%2C and NOx.

"Most major air pollutants are also invisible, meaning you cannot see or smell them."

4 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Air pollution is not always visible.

. . .

Invisible Air Pollution: I Don't Believe My Eyes!

https://www.teachengineering.org/lessons/view/cub_air_lesson03#:~:text=Abbreviated as CO.,pollutants%2C VOCs%2C and NOx.

"Most major air pollutants are also invisible, meaning you cannot see or smell them."

I took that into consideration when later this same day I was the most brilliant orange moon I've ever seen. I was thinking about what you had recently posted.... 

8 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I took that into consideration when later this same day I was the most brilliant orange moon I've ever seen. I was thinking about what you had recently posted.... 

Until they (the 'powers that be') actually do something significant to reduce air pollution it will only get worse.

Don't hold your breath.

. . .

Photochemical smog: 

"Photochemical smog is created by the interaction of sunlight with certain atmospheric chemicals. Ozone is the principal component of air pollution of this kind. Ozone in the stratosphere protects us from harmful ultraviolet radiation but it is detrimental to human health when it is present on the ground level."

https://byjus.com/chemistry/photochemical-smog/#:~:text=It is also related to,VOCs (volatile organic compounds).

sources-of-air-pollution-310314_orig.png

Edited by lazarus

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Until they (the 'powers that be') actually do something significant to reduce air pollution it will only get worse.

Don't hold your breath.

. . .

Photochemical smog: 

"Photochemical smog is created by the interaction of sunlight with certain atmospheric chemicals. Ozone is the principal component of air pollution of this kind. Ozone in the stratosphere protects us from harmful ultraviolet radiation but it is detrimental to human health when it is present on the ground level."

https://byjus.com/chemistry/photochemical-smog/#:~:text=It is also related to,VOCs (volatile organic compounds).

sources-of-air-pollution-310314_orig.png

It sounds like we need mandatory Photochemical smog vaxes..

• Haha 1

of course no one mentions where the smog goes when it rains.

your swimming pool, car, thw roof of your home, which if you look has changed from whatever to almost black over the years, and of course plant life

annually I pressure wash the large driveway here,  its a ritual really.  and the filth that is washed off is vile.

as someone with poor breathing anyway, the smog affects me greatly and annoys me intensely.  of course I know to blame the cmabodian farmers.. as I am PC correct  🙂  🙂  

On 2/7/2023 at 5:24 AM, tommy dee said:

of course no one mentions where the smog goes when it rains.

your swimming pool, car, thw roof of your home, which if you look has changed from whatever to almost black over the years, and of course plant life

annually I pressure wash the large driveway here,  its a ritual really.  and the filth that is washed off is vile.

as someone with poor breathing anyway, the smog affects me greatly and annoys me intensely.  of course I know to blame the cmabodian farmers.. as I am PC correct  🙂  🙂  

I notice it on the fan blades. Builds up. In a short couple of weeks on a simple house fan I've already noticed the build up.  Dreadful 

• Like 2