Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

Arrived on Thursday night and to be honest for Patts, the air has been pretty good. Bit of rain today will do no harm

Some of the latest readings

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/chon-buri/phatthaya

That said on visits in the past 3 years I've noticed the pollution more and more in Pattaya. Am trying to think ahead to the not to distant future where I fancy escaping London in the winter for somewhere warmer. The only places amongst all the recent shit I've seen decent air quality readings have been the deep South (hell no), or Krabi & Samui- think I'd go nuts in beach town but a handy airport to get away could help..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seoul, South Korea is has been very bad in the recent weeks and bickering with China about who is responsible for the pollution.

It seems to become a regional problem. HKG is very bad since several years.

Places like C.M its more due do the slash and burn problem by farmers. Same as on some of the Indo islands.

• 6 months later...
32 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Is the reason for the increase in pollution known? Is it crop burning again? 

My guess it's local factories and auto emissions. This site tracks fires and it's nowhere close to what it looks like during the burning season. And this site shows wind direction and intensity. If anything, not much wind in the area which may explain the higher pollution levels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

My guess it's local factories and auto emissions. This site tracks fires and it's nowhere close to what it looks like during the burning season. And this site shows wind direction and intensity. If anything, not much wind in the area which may explain the higher pollution levels.

Add the coal burning power plants as well ...

Got back from my bike ride just before the heavens opened up. It was a short lived thunderstorm, but the rain should help clean up the air a bit. Snapped this pic on my ride near the top of Khao Talo. A view I'm more used to seeing the end of December rather than near the beginning of October.

PA100004.jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't like that answer!

It means that this is not a seasonal problem but a year-long one. 😞

23 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Got back from my bike ride just before the heavens opened up. It was a short lived thunderstorm, but the rain should help clean up the air a bit. Snapped this pic on my ride near the top of Khao Talo. A view I'm more used to seeing the end of December rather than near the beginning of October.

PA100004.jpg

Air quality is a lot better today even though the AQI is 69.
PA110008.jpg

PA110005.jpg

• Like 1