Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

34 minutes ago, Esco said:

I tried to post a pic of the view from our balcony looking towards Sukhumvit but the farken thing ain't working.

Anyway, it's more cloudy than smoggy with rain on the way I reckon, and the air doesn't bother me, at least for now. 

Good. 

I didn't notice any difference in Pattaya to be fair. 

46 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Good. 

I didn't notice any difference in Pattaya to be fair. 

We just walked from Suk soi 6 to MBK as we needed a bit of exercise. 

Yes, there's pollution and fumes but I did not notice a big difference from before. 

No more Thais with face masks than usual either I would say. 

• Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Esco said:

We just walked from Suk soi 6 to MBK as we needed a bit of exercise. 

Yes, there's pollution and fumes but I did not notice a big difference from before. 

No more Thais with face masks than usual either I would say. 

Aye, is just the wee one i'm a little concerned about. But what can you do. She'd have a face mask trailed off her in 2 seconds even if they were any use. 

Still, she's used to worse fumes wafting from our kitchen if her mum's cooking one of her 'specials'. 

57 minutes ago, Esco said:

Been in Bangkok for 2 nights and I musst admit it's proper rancid. 

Last night out on soi Nana I could literally taste the smog on my lips. 

@Krapow - get a mask for the wee one mate. 

She'll probably have it ripped off in 2 seconds. But I'll try. 

30 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

The article says it wont be any worse than it has been so not sure "the experts" will think or say.

Nothing short term will fix it.

I was speaking about the method to "wash" down the particles...….

Anyway, nothing is gonna fix it in the coming years. It would first need to remove 70% of buses and trucks.  And close down probably nearly half of the factories ?

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

I was speaking about the method to "wash" down the particles...….

Anyway, nothing is gonna fix it in the coming years. It would first need to remove 70% of buses and trucks.  And close down probably nearly half of the factories ?

Washing down the particles sounds to be a complete and utter wank to me.... right up there on the same level as using boats to push water out to sea when the city floods.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

well it works which is why, for decades, bangkokians will never be caught out in any rain.  they know it bring the "contam" down with it.  i was caught on a riverboat once and thought i was fine.. next day sick as a dog

it does not work.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

it does not work.

I agree.

Google "acid rain"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain

@tommy dee, if you were sick it proves it didn't work.   Now of course we all can stay at home and hope the filters of the A/C will sort it. But that doesn't work neither.  And if it worked, and we all stayed at home, why the need of spraying ? 

Now, I am not a scientist ,but I think in many places, BKK is one of them, all what is done is just show. Nothing, or very little is done to avoid the CREATION of the toxic particles.

And definitively in the long term it is very bad.  Personally I can feel the difference between here and the air I breathed in HKG.

7 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

so you dont think rain washes dirt particles out of the air?

check new concrete when it turns black.. and house exteriors.  

Rain is slightly different than some dumb f**k with a water tank and hose that has no idea why his idiot boss has told him to spray water in the air.

but hey if it makes you all warm and fuzzy who am I to say otherwise.

• Like 1

So when you see the levels in BKK and compare it to what Other countries consider as max limits it is a bit scary.... With levels of 150 / 170 for the 2.5 particles BKK is 3 to 5 times over the maximum. Even HKG consider 75 already dangerous, and their settings are on the high side as they have a severe.problem as well.

And BKK doesn't seem to record the accumulation on a yearly base.... 

1587008572_Screenshot_20190122-104312_SamsungInternet-1024x576.thumb.jpg.ade7dde0d887e58b7b4b977065bf3c53.jpg

Other countries regulations :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulates

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

So when you see the levels in BKK and compare it to what Other countries consider as max limits it is a bit scary.... With levels of 150 / 170 for the 2.5 particles BKK is 3 to 5 times over the maximum. Even HKG consider 75 already dangerous, and their settings are on the high side as they have a severe.problem as well.

And BKK doesn't seem to record the accumulation on a yearly base.... 

1587008572_Screenshot_20190122-104312_SamsungInternet-1024x576.thumb.jpg.ade7dde0d887e58b7b4b977065bf3c53.jpg

Other countries regulations :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulates

Not sure about that Spicey...to best of my knowledge Thailand no different measuring standard than all WHO practices. I use aqi app which is a global app and its readings always match exactly what govt says.

Happy to report at this very minute whilst it sucks here today, central and wanchai in hk is worse than phrom phong. Or so AQI shows.

It is also known that where the measurements are taking place...china in beijiing "strategically" had their measurement post at the ideal spots and were reporting 80 ppm whilst at us embassy less than a mile away it was over 700. 

Hong Kong got caught doing this as well...remember like 8 years ago when we were getting choked out and the hk govt was trying to convince world not a problem. Turned out they were reading and reporting causeway bay from a 28th story rooftop near sogo and at street level in front of sogo the particulate matters ppm were 15 times greater than on rooftop.

Also..when u say hk danger level is 70 i think you are referring to a different kind of particulate...that plastic shite. Pretty sure Thailand has exact same standard for all particulates as does any who country. 

AQI.org is a great app...can check anywhere in world at touch of a button.

@STARGAZER , ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear.

No doubt they read using the same units, but what I mean is that they dont really seem to worry about beeing way way above the internationally recommended standards.

Agreed for HKG, specially the last year I was there. Their official readings are biaised, as you say. Location of the sensors, timing of the measurements, etc.... You would expect HKG having stricter limits than HCMC... If you follow my link and scroll down, it clearly shows which particles we are speaking about. 

Anyway, well away from all this now. Although when coming here I wondered a bit about the smoke from the burnings in Sumatra.  But no trace of it here or in our jungle.

But I worry a bit about my 2 kids remaining in BKK TBH in the long term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STARGAZER said:

Not sure about that Spicey...to best of my knowledge Thailand no different measuring standard than all WHO practices. I use aqi app which is a global app and its readings always match exactly what govt says.

Happy to report at this very minute whilst it sucks here today, central and wanchai in hk is worse than phrom phong. Or so AQI shows.

It is also known that where the measurements are taking place...china in beijiing "strategically" had their measurement post at the ideal spots and were reporting 80 ppm whilst at us embassy less than a mile away it was over 700. 

Hong Kong got caught doing this as well...remember like 8 years ago when we were getting choked out and the hk govt was trying to convince world not a problem. Turned out they were reading and reporting causeway bay from a 28th story rooftop near sogo and at street level in front of sogo the particulate matters ppm were 15 times greater than on rooftop.

Also..when u say hk danger level is 70 i think you are referring to a different kind of particulate...that plastic shite. Pretty sure Thailand has exact same standard for all particulates as does any who country. 

AQI.org is a great app...can check anywhere in world at touch of a button.

Hi Ron, 

In the Netherlands the maximum recommended level of PM 2.5 is 25, and we don't get above that level here on yearly average. 

It does appear Thailand has different standards, obviously not to the benefit of it's civilians. 

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

No doubt they read using the same units, but what I mean is that they dont really seem to worry about beeing way way above the internationally recommended standards.

Given they were out with hose watering things down suggests they do find it concerning their number are too high.

35 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Given they were out with hose watering things down suggests they do find it concerning their number are too high.

Sure they know, dont really give a shit, but put up a show for the P.R. ops.

If they gave a shit they would have replaced the city buses by electric ones to start with. Banned all those old trucks, banned all the tuktuks, etc etc.... Same for motorcycles.

Or gone Euro 5 for all diesel vehicles, but they cant because their diesel is not the right quality, and they cant make the right quality as their refineries are not able of it.

Withou speaking about the cost, that 95% of the people cant afford or dont see the point.

When in HKG I had to purchase some pickup trucks, so I went around the main dealers to see what they had and prices. At Toyota when I inquired about the Hilux or similar the answer was "not available", reason was "made in Thailand, not matches the emission requirements for HKG".

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Or gone Euro 5 for all diesel vehicles, but they cant because their diesel is not the right quality, and they cant make the right quality as their refineries are not able of it.

PTT have been making and selling a euro5 equivalent diesel  since Jan 2018.

• Like 1

The factor not being considered above is the link between taxation and provision of public services.

Salary levels are in the main so low that it makes taxation on a pay as you earn basis uneconomic to  administer.  

Public facilites like drainage requires funding and without funding will fail.  

Salary levels are low, hence high proportion of old cars, vans, lorries and motor cycles, which pollute.