Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

15 minutes ago, john luke said:

The factor not being considered above is the link between taxation and provision of public services.

Salary levels are in the main so low that it makes taxation on a pay as you earn basis uneconomic to  administer.  

Public facilites like drainage requires funding and without funding will fail.  

Salary levels are low, hence high proportion of old cars, vans, lorries and motor cycles, which pollute.

Not only that, but less than 20% of people who work in this country are in the system and paying taxes to start with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Thanks.

My case was in 2015 / 2016

A bit surprised by the word "equivalent" ?  

ultra low sulphur less than 10 parts per million.

Only a matter of time for it to be produced/introduced given the new wizz bang diesel engines available in the pickup sector.

If you are referring to 2015 and that it was not possible to refine the fuel here I wonder if PTT has made massive investment or are importing it ?

On 1/19/2019 at 8:54 AM, Sir_Fondles said:

Washing down the particles sounds to be a complete and utter wank to me.... right up there on the same level as using boats to push water out to sea when the city floods.

It works, and is practically a daily occurrance during winter time in Beijiing. It is not a good use of natural resources, no doubt, a horrible use, and a classic band aid treatment of a symptom and not addressing the problem, but fact is it is VERY EFFECTIVE!  

1 minute ago, STARGAZER said:

It works, and is practically a daily occurrance during winter time in Beijiing. It is not a good use of natural resources, no doubt, a horrible use, and a classic band aid treatment of a symptom and not addressing the problem, but fact is it is VERY EFFECTIVE!  

They use high pressure hoses or cloud seeding ?

8 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

ultra low sulphur less than 10 parts per million.

Only a matter of time for it to be produced/introduced given the new wizz bang diesel engines available in the pickup sector.

If you are referring to 2015 and that it was not possible to refine the fuel here I wonder if PTT has made massive investment or are importing it ?

Thats all I could find :

PressReader - Bangkok Post: 2018-01-27 - Call for better diesel quality https://www.pressreader.com › thailand Jan 27, 2018 · The Euro 5 standard may require all five Thai refineries to invest 14 billion baht each and could cost motorists an additional 40 satang per litre of diesel, .

3 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

They use high pressure hoses or cloud seeding ?

They do both.....same here in past few weeks. Cloud seeding only works in certain atmospheric conditions and relative humidity points. It is not a full gap measure, otherwise we would have no droughts anywhere in the world.

7 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

It is effective on a very very small surface.   Move 500m away and......

Or do (like here) they call the shaman to do the rain prayers ?

I predict Thailand will have more alternative energy means, solar, wind, hydro, and electric cars within 10 years than 95% of all countries on face of the earth, including N. America and EU......it is the advantage of starting from ground zero. Already big talk about removing import tax on electric cars.

Hong Kong, when they took off the 100% first year tax on new electric vehicles they instantly went to highest per capital of electric cars in the world. Telsa's everywhere you look. But since Jan 1, 2018 they took the tax credit away and it is going backwards again with regards to electric versus carbon fuels.

5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Thats all I could find :

PressReader - Bangkok Post: 2018-01-27 - Call for better diesel quality https://www.pressreader.com › thailand Jan 27, 2018 · The Euro 5 standard may require all five Thai refineries to invest 14 billion baht each and could cost motorists an additional 40 satang per litre of diesel, .

PTT  actually rates very very high when it comes to social consciousness in its sector. VERY HIGH! And it is not via a corrupt Thai rating system.

https://www.pttgcgroup.com/en/sustainability/pttgc-sustainability

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Thats all I could find :

Why would all the fuel companies have to get onboard.... its only a standard so do not see how something like that could be stipulated.... but hey "Amazing Thailand" !!

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Media-Center/News/Business/Pages/news-2018-01-29.aspx

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

It is effective on a very very small surface.   Move 500m away and......

Or do (like here) they call the shaman to do the rain prayers ?

Exactly why you see the water cannons being used in the most densely populated parts. Again, a horrible use of the worlds most precious natural resource, that being water, and a stop gap band aid and not a treatment of the problem, just the symptom.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Why would all the fuel companies have to get onboard.... its only a standard so do not see how something like that could be stipulated.... but hey "Amazing Thailand" !!

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Media-Center/News/Business/Pages/news-2018-01-29.aspx

f**k diesel.....f**k all fossil fuels. These clean coal, clean diesel initiatives in 5 years will be looked at as stupidly a mere bandaid like we look at the water cannons today.

Electric magnetic power and ride sharing is the future for sustainable clean transportation. Even electric cars as we know them today leave massive carbon footprints via the production of the batteries and the electricity generation of the recharge ports. Where China is hypocritical in their claims of being on the forefront in electric cars. They are generating the electricity via horrible dirty coal power plants. (and yes, there is very clean coal technology, just like there is clean diesel...but anything that promotes fossil fuels is not the long term solution, just a mere bandaid treating the symptoms.)

Edited by STARGAZER

8 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

f**k diesel.....f**k all fossil fuels. These clean coal, clean diesel initiatives in 5 years will be looked at as stupidly a mere bandaid like we look at the water cannons today.

Electric magnetic power and ride sharing is the future for sustainable clean transportation. Even electric cars as we know them today leave massive carbon footprints via the production of the batteries and the electricity generation of the recharge ports. Where China is hypocritical in their claims of being on the forefront in electric cars. They are generating the electricity via horrible dirty coal power plants. (and yes, there is very clean coal technology, just like there is clean diesel...but anything that promotes fossil fuels is not the long term solution, just a mere bandaid treating the symptoms.)

So what do you think needs to be done... more solar and wind farms ?

Star, 

Dont tell me you're one of those Calif yuppie but rich dreamers ?

In my stock market "hobby" I read daily hyper nonsense about elec vehicles, mainly TESLA in the US. .....   

In HKG Tesla was a fashion, showed you had money to buy a very expensive car, electric so its something special. Dont think any of the buyers gave a shit about the environment.... More about  face.

Prove is, when the removed the incentives, sales stopped dead. 

19 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

So what do you think needs to be done... more solar and wind farms ?

for transportation-----electromagnetics

I like wind and hydro more than solar! But we still have some to learn about solar like truly harnessing the incredible energy of the outer far infra red band. Where we are lacking behind is the "battery" or storage of the alternative energy sources. No doubt we can on demand generate enough, we just don't have the storage down yet.

Edited by STARGAZER

To me it is common sense.....wind and solar are true renewables. Sucking carbon fuels out of our rock, well, common sense tells me it is in there for a reason. I don't think the reason is for human consumption. And there is a no deniable it is a consumable, as our all all natural resources. Trees take 50-100 years to grow back so that can be managed. The Carbons in fossil fuel based energy that we remove from the rock take 10's of thousands of years to replace itself. Call me idiotic, many do, but for me the math just doesn't add up.

2 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

for transportation-----electromagnetics

I like wind and hydro more than solar! But we still have some to learn about solar like truly harnessing the incredible energy of the outer far infra red band. Where we are lacking behind is the "battery" or storage of the alternative energy sources. No doubt we can on demand generate enough, we just don't have the storage down yet.

hahahahaha, yeah the world aint gunna see electromagnetic cars in the mainstream the next 100 years !!

how "dirty" is the manufacturing of storage ?

23 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Star, 

Dont tell me you're one of those Calif yuppie but rich dreamers ?

In my stock market "hobby" I read daily hyper nonsense about elec vehicles, mainly TESLA in the US. .....   

In HKG Tesla was a fashion, showed you had money to buy a very expensive car, electric so its something special. Dont think any of the buyers gave a shit about the environment.... More about  face.

Prove is, when the removed the incentives, sales stopped dead. 

No, proof is it was a monetary value thing. Showing you could afford an expensive car is what the Bentley's and Rolls Royces are.

A brand new Telsa with tax credit  was less expensive than Lexuss SUV in HK and every one in HK knew that. Had nothing to do with flashing money, it had the exact opposite which was PROVEN by the drop in sales when the tax credit was taken away.

Far from a tree hugger, Spicey, but not stupid enough to think we are still living in 1975. Giving incentives to do things better environmentally is best way to get people to do it. Only a foolio like Macron would think the opposite and watch his country fall apart in revolt.

12 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

hahahahaha, yeah the world aint gunna see electromagnetic cars in the mainstream the next 100 years !!

how "dirty" is the manufacturing of storage ?

the dirty storage is the problem I refer to. 

Next 100 years.....do you recall 11 years ago there was no such thing as a smart phone. If I told you 5 years ago, ganja would become medically legal, soon to be recreational in Thailand you would of thought that crazier than 10 years down the road electric magnetic will become mainstream as will quantum computing.

Out of curiosity, why would you think that the velocity of technological advancement would slow down when it has done nothing but gain velocity since the beginning of mankind? And no denial the velocity of such advancement is like the speed of light as compared to even 30 years ago. 

Edited by STARGAZER

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

@STARGAZER,

We had one of our sales guy buy a Tesla X just before I left. (Well, boss paid for it).

Believe me, ecology was for nothing in it. 

100% show off. 

Well I can give you 50 people in HK whose decision was 100% two fold, tax credit and environmental. So what is your point.