How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
Brad

What do you guys do all day?

I guess this is a question for expats. Assuming you are still well enough to do anything, what do you do all day?

The most time I ever spent in Thailand was 2 weeks, and I love the place, but I am conscious I was on holiday, in holiday mode.

I have visited many places in Thailand, but am drawn to Pattaya for some reason. I am single, enjoy the odd drink and of course the local delights.

I am absolutely convinced I want to retire to Thailand. Money is not an issue for me, I believe I can live a comfortable life, but what worries me is getting bored.

I work hard in my job, have a long commute and effectively my leisure time is watching sport on television. When I was younger I was quite active, not now, so I guess you could say I have no hobbies. 

Guys I know who are retired are either active or not in my home town and I guess living here so long there are friends and friends have interests even if they are not sports any more. 

A sensible choice would be to retire at home, but the winters, although not that long and cold compared to many places, are cold enough for me not to appreciate them. 

I could move somewhere else in The States, but then I would have no friends, same same Thailand as they say.

A long way around to the question guys, what do you expats do all day to keep busy? 

Depends really on ones situation :

- single or in a long term relationship already

- previous lifestyle. I mean somebody who has lived all his life in a backwards western place and discovers Pattaya at 60 for retirement will sure have a different way than somebody who has lived and shagged around in Asia for xx years.

Pattaya would be one of the last places on earth I would select for retirement. Too busy, too noisy, too polluted, crazy traffic, rip off at every corner, you name it....

But to each his own.

Having a rather strict discipline and routine is a must. Having a companion (no, not the one from yesterday in WS,...) is a plus.

After all, the idea is to have a normal relaxed pensioners life, but under the sun, with temp of the swimming pool at 25C, decent food, healthcare available, etc....And a nice, decent looking and decent behaving companion in which you can have at least some trust.

But hey, I am just an old (65) bugger, so what do I know ?

• Thumbs Up 1

You'll get some good ideas from expats on here but please bear in mind that what they actually do is argue on the internet all day.

*runs and hides*

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

used to work 7 days now 5 and a half, soon less.  my choice, and I love it.  working now from home

• Like 2

Spent last, and now this, UK winter based in pattaya.

Daily routine includes walking with a group of others every morning, either along the beach or around town. Rarely cover less than 7kms, often 10.

Back home for shower and brunch.

Argue with other expats on internet. Watch India beat Australia. Write blog for friends at home. Meet other friends for coffee or lunch. Take part in a pub quiz ( I'm crap but the company is good) two evenings a week. Currently sat with group of friends in bar on soi buckhou people watching.  Sometimes an afternoon stroll along the beach if we did a town route in the morning. Foot massage two or three times a week.

Then of course there's evening meal (where?), sometimes followed by a stroll to see some ladies 

And I haven't turned to drink yet...

1546671531169-1474911751.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Painter said:

Spent last, and now this, UK winter based in pattaya.

Daily routine includes walking with a group of others every morning, either along the beach or around town. Rarely cover less than 7kms, often 10.

Back home for shower and brunch.

Argue with other expats on internet. Watch India beat Australia. Write blog for friends at home. Meet other friends for coffee or lunch. Take part in a pub quiz ( I'm crap but the company is good) two evenings a week. Currently sat with group of friends in bar on soi buckhou people watching.  Sometimes an afternoon stroll along the beach if we did a town route in the morning. Foot massage two or three times a week.

Then of course there's evening meal (where?), sometimes followed by a stroll to see some ladies 

And I haven't turned to drink yet...

1546671531169-1474911751.jpg

Would you not think of putting your blog on here as well, or do I have to start another campaign of harassment against you? 😁

48 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Would you not think of putting your blog on here as well, or do I have to start another campaign of harassment against you? 😁

Unfortunately most of thqt blog was written before this board was born, and possibly contains personal stuff about friends and family that I'd rather not put here. I am aware that I haven't put any pics up since your last campaign, but, frankly, just haven't had time.... sorry! 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Painter said:

Unfortunately most of thqt blog was written before this board was born, and possibly contains personal stuff about friends and family that I'd rather not put here. I am aware that I haven't put any pics up since your last campaign, but, frankly, just haven't had time.... sorry! 

Show off!

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I guess this is a question for expats. Assuming you are still well enough to do anything, what do you do all day?

The most time I ever spent in Thailand was 2 weeks, and I love the place, but I am conscious I was on holiday, in holiday mode.

I have visited many places in Thailand, but am drawn to Pattaya for some reason. I am single, enjoy the odd drink and of course the local delights.

I am absolutely convinced I want to retire to Thailand. Money is not an issue for me, I believe I can live a comfortable life, but what worries me is getting bored.

I work hard in my job, have a long commute and effectively my leisure time is watching sport on television. When I was younger I was quite active, not now, so I guess you could say I have no hobbies. 

Guys I know who are retired are either active or not in my home town and I guess living here so long there are friends and friends have interests even if they are not sports any more. 

A sensible choice would be to retire at home, but the winters, although not that long and cold compared to many places, are cold enough for me not to appreciate them. 

I could move somewhere else in The States, but then I would have no friends, same same Thailand as they say.

A long way around to the question guys, what do you expats do all day to keep busy? 

why not start by splitting your time , Winter in Thailand , summer at home - in Thailand you can travel around  and see how you fill your time 

• Like 3

Critical thing is first to have a decent, proper lodging where you feel comfortable and make it feel "home".

A 4,000b 22 sq m room on Soi Buakhua, must be depressing and wanting to run away from it straight to the bar at 09.00 am and that is the beginning of the end.

Same for a place 100% fitted local style where between the shrine, the Buddha and the collection of K pictures I would feel like a alien.

I have a proper lodging in Bali and in Java, and TBH a small flat in a condo would definitively turn me crazy. That's not how I want to spend my retirement.

But as they say, to each his own. Just be aware what you're heading into.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Critical thing is first to have a decent, proper lodging where you feel comfortable and make it feel "home".

A 4,000b 22 sq m room on Soi Buakhua, must be depressing and wanting to run away from it straight to the bar at 09.00 am and that is the beginning of the end.

Same for a place 100% fitted local style where between the shrine, the Buddha and the collection of K pictures I would feel like a alien.

I have a proper lodging in Bali and in Java, and TBH a small flat in a condo would definitively turn me crazy. That's not how I want to spend my retirement.

But as they say, to each his own. Just be aware what you're heading into.

I agree TS.

I come to LOS, usually Pattaya, for 2 or 3 months each year during the winter months. I basically do a lot of the same things I do at home - read, exercise, internet, TV (some via a Slingbox that allows me to connect to my home DVR) + the occasional carnal stuff here that I don't or can't do at home.

Stay at a decent condo in VT6 and have no problem spending time in it.

I wonder sometimes what I have done with the day. I goes quick. I intended to get up early then drifted off to sleep and is now gone 11am. Gonna shower and get breakfast then change my bike as it's making a racket. Then take a drive to Jomtien I think and have lunch down there later..........or maybe not 😁😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Although I agree with you about space and furnishings, I believe that the most crucial thing for a place to feel comfortable and "home" is the situation with the neighbours.

Bad (usually meaning noisy) neighbours can make your place feel like a hostile environment.

7 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I wonder sometimes what I have done with the day. I goes quick. I intended to get up early then drifted off to sleep and is now gone 11am. Gonna shower and get breakfast then change my bike as it's making a racket. Then take a drive to Jomtien I think and have lunch down there later..........or maybe not 😁😂

You'd end up with your very own thread 🤣

Oh. 

What else? 

Hotel reviews for other bms

Research into shops for other bms

Research into air quality for other bms.

Take pics and add to photo thread to keep @Krapow off my back....

Life's rarely dull, and when it is there's contacts on Line to talk to...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

When I wasn't working I used to excursive in the gym and if I had the time now I would play a lot of golf. However, working 12 hours a day at the moment so no play for Philip

I like to have access to a swimming pool for exercise -- but it has to be clean, big enough to swim or waterwalk,

...and have a few women in wet bikinis.

🙂

10426224_10206169495656435_2248152404189468045_n.jpg

• Great Info 1

9 minutes ago, fon_tok said:

I like to have access to a swimming pool for exercise -- but it has to be clean, big enough to swim or waterwalk,

🙂

Tremendous!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fon_tok said:

🙂

Try the rooftop pool at SiamSiam. 

There is a lot of temptation in Pattaya.

If you don't have hobbies or some sort of work it would be easy to spend time getting pissed and ending up broke as unfortunately many do.

From what I can see the expats outside of Pattaya appear to be the happiest.

6 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

There is a lot of temptation in Pattaya.

If you don't have hobbies or some sort of work it would be easy to spend time getting pissed and ending up broke as unfortunately many do.

From what I can see the expats outside of Pattaya appear to be the happiest.

Yes see it often and sometimes makes you think, how there is a fine line between being level headed, and giving in to a destructive emotion.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, Yessongs said:

Work out 3 times a week at the gym, meet guys from Thailand, Europe etc and we trade stories about all of our adventures here. Treadmill at home 3 times per week for 45 minutes after breakfast in the morning. Read the Internet, check my retirement accounts back home, check my favorite sports teams and how they are doing. Talk to my Mom and Dad 4 times a week, skype with my Son 2 times per week.

I am assuming that you live in Bangkok?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this