Oman.....Heathrow

RR007

lol absolute tossers are Oman

Exactly the same issue as 6 months ago. Check in for first sector no problem at 48 hours to wheels up. 2nd sector nope unless you want to pay for any seat now (not just aisle)....went for what one of you guys suggested which was to leave the tab open till 2nd sector reached 48 hours to wheels up. Nope lol timed out after 30 minutes !

Absolute last time I'm flying with these wankers.... Back to Emirates in February

Edited by RR007

5 hours ago, RR007 said:

lol absolute tossers are Oman

Exactly the same issue as 6 months ago. Check in for first sector no problem at 48 hours to wheels up. 2nd sector nope unless you want to pay for any seat now (not just aisle)....went for what one of you guys suggested which was to leave the tab open till 2nd sector reached 48 hours to wheels up. Nope lol timed out after 30 minutes !

Absolute last time I'm flying with these wankers.... Back to Emirates in February

As far as I can see, one can only check in at the specified time (24 hours or 36 hours) before each flight takes off, I think is the industry normal.  Certainly that is the case with Air France, KLM and Finnair.  I am not sure what the position is on Emirates.

13 minutes ago, john luke said:

As far as I can see, one can only check in at the specified time (24 hours or 36 hours) before each flight takes off, I think is the industry normal.  Certainly that is the case with Air France, KLM and Finnair.  I am not sure what the position is on Emirates.

Well I dont know how many flights I've checked in online for since that service became available am guessing around turn of the century (?) but only Oman has this insanity. Previously when check in online opened 24 hours in advance with Oman they like everyone else was fine. You selected both sectors at the 24 hour point. This time last year they changed it to 48 hours and the problems began

Friend who flew the evening departure Sunday last said about it again at check in desk and the lady apparently said sir you and many others complain every day about it.

Oman told me back in March/April 2019 they were reviewing it due to complaints. Nothing has been done. Problem is now when I started using them around 7 years ago every flight was  a third full. Now every flight is absolutely rammed because they are consistently the cheapest ME carrier 95% of the time.

Service has hugely declined across the board and as my Silver card will expire in new year this will be my last return flight with them

49 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Well I dont know how many flights I've checked in online for since that service became available am guessing around turn of the century (?) but only Oman has this insanity. Previously when check in online opened 24 hours in advance with Oman they like everyone else was fine. You selected both sectors at the 24 hour point. This time last year they changed it to 48 hours and the problems began

Friend who flew the evening departure Sunday last said about it again at check in desk and the lady apparently said sir you and many others complain every day about it.

Oman told me back in March/April 2019 they were reviewing it due to complaints. Nothing has been done. Problem is now when I started using them around 7 years ago every flight was  a third full. Now every flight is absolutely rammed because they are consistently the cheapest ME carrier 95% of the time.

Service has hugely declined across the board and as my Silver card will expire in new year this will be my last return flight with them

I can appreciate your frustrations, however I would suggest to you that the system of on line check in being a certain time before each flight is the industry norm and not the exception.

Only last week I flew from Bangkok to UK via Helsinki on Finnair.  The on line check in and available electronic boarding pass for the flight from BKK to HEL was available 36 hours before departure but the boarding pass for the second leg did not become available until around 12 hours later; i e each one available 36 hours before the flight departure time.  Previously it has been the same when I have flown KLM and AF.

To allow check in for two or more flights at the specified time from the departure time of the first flight would not in my view make sense and I could see it causing problems for the airlines.

Hypothetically using your flight from BKK to LHR via Oman; if passengers were allowed to check in for both their first and second leg flights 24 hours before the departure time of the first flight then this would give those passengers an advantage over passengers commencing their journey from Oman, who would only be allowed to check in and hence select seats from a time 24 hours before departure of that flight.  Choice of seats is the important factor for passengers using the lower priced economy tickets, where early seat selection incurs a cost.  A personal opinion but frankly I can not see the changing as to do so would adversely affect the entitlements of passengers commencing their journeys at Oman.

Service quality has gone down on all airlines. The basic cost of the cheaper end tickets which come with many restrictions such as restrictions on flight changes and fees for advanced seat selection, are at an all time low.  Airlines need to operate at a profit and this is now being made by charges for things which previously were included in the flight price.  There are lots of examples of this including the amount of check in luggage, free alcohol on economy flights (Finnair), advanced seat selection at a fee, restrictions on ticket changes.

The bottom line is that the quality of service and flexibility of a flight is directly proportional to the cost.

10 hours ago, john luke said:

I can appreciate your frustrations, however I would suggest to you that the system of on line check in being a certain time before each flight is the industry norm and not the exception.

Only last week I flew from Bangkok to UK via Helsinki on Finnair.  The on line check in and available electronic boarding pass for the flight from BKK to HEL was available 36 hours before departure but the boarding pass for the second leg did not become available until around 12 hours later; i e each one available 36 hours before the flight departure time.  Previously it has been the same when I have flown KLM and AF.

To allow check in for two or more flights at the specified time from the departure time of the first flight would not in my view make sense and I could see it causing problems for the airlines.

Hypothetically using your flight from BKK to LHR via Oman; if passengers were allowed to check in for both their first and second leg flights 24 hours before the departure time of the first flight then this would give those passengers an advantage over passengers commencing their journey from Oman, who would only be allowed to check in and hence select seats from a time 24 hours before departure of that flight.  Choice of seats is the important factor for passengers using the lower priced economy tickets, where early seat selection incurs a cost.  A personal opinion but frankly I can not see the changing as to do so would adversely affect the entitlements of passengers commencing their journeys at Oman.

Service quality has gone down on all airlines. The basic cost of the cheaper end tickets which come with many restrictions such as restrictions on flight changes and fees for advanced seat selection, are at an all time low.  Airlines need to operate at a profit and this is now being made by charges for things which previously were included in the flight price.  There are lots of examples of this including the amount of check in luggage, free alcohol on economy flights (Finnair), advanced seat selection at a fee, restrictions on ticket changes.

The bottom line is that the quality of service and flexibility of a flight is directly proportional to the cost.

Just spoke to their 24 hour number to call. They have literally last few days introduced a change seats icon if you relog back into their online check in for that 2nd sector. Have just closed the tab now and it allowed me to add the 2nd sector aisle seat into my booking without charge and have emailed the boarding passes back to myself.

Having flown 27 different carriers London Bangkok its the first airline I've been on thats had this system. (Oman when they had 24 hour opening of check in didnt only when they switched to 48 hours)  However none of Finnair KLM or Air France have I ever been on but appreciate what you say

Take note that Oman will no longer carry the immigration cards on the 2nd sector into Bangkok. Stopped last week supposedly. I grabbed a couple spare at the desks on the slope up to immigration on the left.

Immigration itself was quiet at 06.50 but I spent probably the longest ever time in the queues not helped certainly by both hands fingerprinting and the usual dozy sods in the final desk queues.  The main problem was clearly the Indians were presenting reams of documents for inspection. I breezed through in around 60 seconds but the average was over 5 minutes plus.

You'd have to expect a 3 hour wait in the weeks before Christmas for sure

Edited by RR007

• 3 weeks later...

Meant to say previously Oman check in has changed and now you can select both sectors at the 48 hour before wheels up point. They had 1000s of complaints over it via FB and Sindbad FF holders and it seems they've listened and rectified the issue and put it back to the original set up

• Like 1