Thai temples you visit at home.

KhunDon

How many of you visit Thai temples in your home country, either on a regular basis or just once in a while. 

We tend to go to a little place out in the wilds of Devon, called Hartridge Buddhist Monastry near Honiton, that has grown over the years. It started out as a small cob cottage and with donations, has grown over the years and is now finally finished. 

Usualy go on a Sunday to feed the monks and have a walk in the woods that surrounds the Temple. As it’s only about an hour away it’s perfect, but the wife and son also go to Wimbledon temple and tend to stay in London hotels to get some shopping shopping done at the same time, also the occasional trip to Manchester temple.

Virtualy all the building works have been done by volunteers and the final works to the temple was the slate roof which went on around September last year, the money for which was raised on one day in June when £17,000 was raised on the day when several monks and lots of Thais came to the temple.

The original temple was in the cottage (bottom picture) which together with the land was, I believe, donated by a local land owner. 

I’m not really religious, but I do enjoy going to this temple and just chill out, maybe because it’s so informal and the people we meet are really friendly. 

So, how about you, do you get dragged to you local temple by your wife/partner or do you stay home and let them go alone?

Please include any pics you have, either of your local temples or ones you’ve been to in Thailand. 🙏🙏🙏

2DF5FB53-0206-407E-97E8-8B58A6FA4292.jpeg

DDB23A2C-B683-4EC1-A1A1-CE170E91DF12.jpeg

C30BF154-B0B0-4BC0-B618-05996A9225AA.jpeg

9FB8AEEC-135B-4A66-A7BD-B2DA0D16626F.jpeg

7A0FB750-AB66-4F08-8313-7FF59E00379A.jpeg

E6F31062-63F7-4826-9667-D7224FE1386B.jpeg

7EA3247F-5F90-447E-BFAD-61E0387281F1.jpeg

CE869FB8-B2A4-4265-BE08-F9276BE3BD5D.jpeg

8C6CF837-36C4-4B25-9E35-B7449070D65D.jpeg

1E420EC2-BD46-43A3-BDC8-8FE9B60D2055.jpeg

71ED14C6-45BA-4B53-91FB-ED719540ADE5.jpeg

8A154EF2-B8AD-4035-9BAF-C2D088D9098F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't really bother but when I was working in Holland Mrs Thinkingallowed's grandmother was extremely I'll to the point of them planning the funeral as she was asleep and not expected to come round again. There's a Buddhist temple on the edge of the Red Light District in Amsterdam  where I'm having a drink with some lads. Much piss taking when I tell them I have to rush off to the temple to say a little prayer for grandma. Everyone thinks I'm off window shopping.

So the next day I call Mrs Thinkingallowed and tell her I went to the temple and she asks what time. Apparently grandma woke up at exactly this time and is no longer going to die. When the story gets about the family decide that I brought grandma back from the dead and to this day I'm talked about with reverence within the family.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Don't really bother but when I was working in Holland Mrs Thinkingallowed's grandmother was extremely I'll to the point of them planning the funeral as she was asleep and not expected to come round again. There's a Buddhist temple on the edge of the Red Light District in Amsterdam  where I'm having a drink with some lads. Much piss taking when I tell them I have to rush off to the temple to say a little prayer for grandma. Everyone thinks I'm off window shopping.

So the next day I call Mrs Thinkingallowed and tell her I went to the temple and she asks what time. Apparently grandma woke up at exactly this time and is no longer going to die. When the story gets about the family decide that I brought grandma back from the dead and to this day I'm talked about with reverence within the family.

And who's to say they're wrong?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

And who's to say they're wrong?

Thai mumbo jumbo mate plus the fact that they don't seem very good at spotting whether people are dead or not. One holiday some old guy in the village died three times in one week. They actually had me dressed up in my suit to go give my condolences the first time. He's still kicking about now.

Apparently I can predict the future or in fact say things and make them come true! Done this with a couple of younger members of the family. You know the sort of thing, young girl abandoned by father and mother brought up by aunt and grandparents will probably look to make a family of her own and be a teenage pregnancy. Mrs Thinkingallowed has banned me from talking like this because she believes it becomes true because I say it.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Thai mumbo jumbo mate plus the fact that they don't seem very good at spotting whether people are dead or not. One holiday some old guy in the village died three times in one week. They actually had me dressed up in my suit to go give my condolences the first time. He's still kicking about now.

Apparently I can predict the future or in fact say things and make them come true! Done this with a couple of younger members of the family. You know the sort of thing, young girl abandoned by father and mother brought up by aunt and grandparents will probably look to make a family of her own and be a teenage pregnancy. Mrs Thinkingallowed has banned me from talking like this because she believes it becomes true because I say it.

I think all religion is mumbo jumbo. 

I don't what happened as much different to many other 'miracles' believed by millions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I think all religion is mumbo jumbo. 

I don't what happened as much different to many other 'miracles' believed by millions. 

Shall I start the cult of Andy?

Been reading a lot about the beginnings of Christianity and other cults about the same time. What they ended up with was a complete mish mash of them all. 

The cult of Andy will be kept pure.

Here's my ten commandments...

1 Don't be a cunt

2 see 1

3 see 2

4 see 3...

You get the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Shall I start the cult of Andy?

Been reading a lot about the beginnings of Christianity and other cults about the same time. What they ended up with was a complete mish mash of them all. 

The cult of Andy will be kept pure.

Here's my ten commandments...

1 Don't be a c**t

2 see 1

3 see 2

4 see 3...

You get the idea.

Think you're discriminating against about half the board 😄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KhunDon said:

How many of you visit Thai temples in your home country, either on a regular basis or just once in a while. 

We tend to go to a little place out in the wilds of Devon, called Hartridge Buddhist Monastry near Honiton, that has grown over the years. It started out as a small cob cottage and with donations, has grown over the years and is now finally finished. 

Usualy go on a Sunday to feed the monks and have a walk in the woods that surrounds the Temple. As it’s only about an hour away it’s perfect, but the wife and son also go to Wimbledon temple and tend to stay in London hotels to get some shopping shopping done at the same time, also the occasional trip to Manchester temple.

Virtualy all the building works have been done by volunteers and the final works to the temple was the slate roof which went on around September last year, the money for which was raised on one day in June when £17,000 was raised on the day when several monks and lots of Thais came to the temple.

The original temple was in the cottage (bottom picture) which together with the land was, I believe, donated by a local land owner. 

I’m not really religious, but I do enjoy going to this temple and just chill out, maybe because it’s so informal and the people we meet are really friendly. 

So, how about you, do you get dragged to you local temple by your wife/partner or do you stay home and let them go alone?

Please include any pics you have, either of your local temples or ones you’ve been to in Thailand. 🙏🙏🙏

I visit the Wimbledon Temple from time to time. I am not a Buddhist 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

The odd time in the summer. 

Make sure and get there by 11am, wife helps with the food for the monks, I eat loads of it when they are finished.

Win/win!

The wife gets up around 5am and cooks fresh Thai food for the monks before we go. Usually 6 dishes, 2 Vegan, 2 meat dishes and two fish dishes and of course a shed load of brownies! 

Most people who go there bring several dishes and fresh fruits as well, so there is always plenty to eat. 

This picture is the “old temple” room in the cottage, tiny and dark but it suited them for years, but now a lot more people go there to meet the monks and also for a week or two retreats. 

EFE06546-3D4F-4AE2-ACF6-33A2FB7318BF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mrs Thinkingallowed's parents are very religious and the meeting point on our street to feed the monks is the bottom of our drive.

When I got myself a couple of pups ten or more years ago one of the first things I taught them was to sit when being offered food. This lead to them sitting whenever food is around. So they join the gaggle of old ladies every morning sat waiting for the monks. This led to the story that I trained my dogs to sit respectfully for the monks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Mrs Thinkingallowed's parents are very religious and the meeting point on our street to feed the monks is the bottom of our drive.

When I got myself a couple of pups ten or more years ago one of the first things I taught them was to sit when being offered food. This lead to them sitting whenever food is around. So they join the gaggle of old ladies every morning sat waiting for the monks. This led to the story that I trained my dogs to sit respectfully for the monks.

You're like the messiah in your village :default_bow:

• Like 1

I'm non religious but have been here a few times with the missus,not far from where we live,https://www.amaravati.org.

Also used to go to Wimbledon regularly at Loy Kratong & Songkran but the trips there usually ended up on the piss in the town with some mates watching the footie.

Reckon the millionaires that must live around the Wimbledon temple must get the right hump with the thousands of visitors that attend.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I'm non religious but have been here a few times with the missus,not far from where we live,https://www.amaravati.org.

Also used to go to Wimbledon regularly at Loy Kratong & Songkran but the trips there usually ended up on the piss in the town with some mates watching the footie.

Reckon the millionaires that must live around the Wimbledon temple must get the right hump with the thousands of visitors that attend.

There's one in Wanstead that is sound, not pretentious at all like the Wimbledon one, or rather many who go to the Wimbledon one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

The wife and friends have been to the Temple in your link coxyhog and really enjoyed it. 👍

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, Thinkingallowed said:

I've been to that temple as well a couple of times. One small remark: it isn't a Thai temple, but a Chinese one.

• Like 1

Just now, Thinkingallowed said:

It's a Buddhist temple and the best I could do when having a drink in De Wallen.

No problem with me and well done to you, but I thought it to be the kind of detail that prevents problems, some of the board members might try to look it up and expect a Thai temple because of this thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

No problem with me and well done to you, but I thought it to be the kind of detail that prevents problems, some of the board members might try to look it up and expect a Thai temple because of this thread.

Pedants can go fuck themselves, apart from when I'm enjoying a bit of pedantry of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1