Thai temples you visit at home.

KhunDon

6 minutes ago, davethailand said:

Never been to one here, thankfully she's not really into it that much.

Too be honest if she was I doubt I'd go.

🙂

A fundamentalist atheist here mate but there is something nice about religious buildings.

Temples, cathedrals, churches, whatever. Always nice buildings built by the poor.

Gets off soap box

*note to self don't post when pissed *

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thinkingallowed said:

A fundamentalist atheist here mate but there is something nice about religious buildings.

Temples, cathedrals, churches, whatever. Always nice buildings built by the poor.

Gets off soap box

*note to self don't post when pissed *

I also like old buildings, churches etc, we're going to York tomorrow for the weekend so will have a look around.

Not interested in going to the Thai temples here though, I like the proper ones in Thailand but will only go for a funeral etc.

🙂

None around where we lived in France, and that suited me perfectly.

My actual Miss goes to the Hindu temple maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and except for a small shrine in honour of her parents, not any religious sign at her home.  Suits me fine as well.

And dont ask me if I visited the mosque....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

No is the answer .

to be honest I don't even know where the nearest one to me is . I'm up in deepest darkest Lancashire. Plenty of minurretes on view but nowt along Buddhist lines.

maybe in Salford or Manchester .

If you are interested, you can look here.

10 hours ago, davethailand said:

I also like old buildings, churches etc, we're going to York tomorrow for the weekend so will have a look around.

Not interested in going to the Thai temples here though, I like the proper ones in Thailand but will only go for a funeral etc.

🙂

I took the Thai family to Salisbury last year to look at the cathedral, they were very impressed. 

CF98208E-A755-4671-8383-2CEC3639A4AA.thumb.jpeg.003ced1a4f95eb5f59825c7de4874783.jpeg

8EE549EC-7B91-41D9-8A30-C7E57BD68B5E.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

We used to visit a Thai temple in Houston, TX when we lived SW of the city.  Mostly after TW first came over, to provide her some comfort in a strange land.  Back then it was a lot of land, some tiny houses for the monks and teachers, and a portable building that served as the Bot. On my first visit with her, I saw that some kids were trying to enjoy the broken down playground, so I came back with a friend and some power tools and put the equipment back together.  The Abbot was pleased.

A little over 10 years later, it was a massive complex, with a huge gilded Bot  surrounded by houses for the inhabitants, classrooms, and a thriving open market area on the Buddhist holidays, which always had a stage for Thai Boxing, music, a beauty contest, etc..  We met several life-long friends among the Thai/Farang families there.  We still keep in contact since we moved here and they visit us when they holiday in Thailand.

If you're ever in the Houston area, Wat Buddhavas is on Antoinne Boulevard south of the Sam Houston tollway on the northwest side of the city.

Edited by tko
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I genuinely like going to temples, anything like that, or historical buildings

I like(d) visiting cathedrals, churches, temples of any faith, even mosques, castles etc but solely for the architectural and historical aspect.

Not for worshipping any kind of God. 

But after having visited a certain number, it becomes quickly boring except if it is really one of your main hobbies or interests.

Going at the temple ground for any kind.of celebration is a nono for me . And things were made clear with the Miss here long time ago. 

"I am a Christian, I can not worship any other God, so you understand I can not go to the temple". Very diplomatic and efficient excuse.

18 hours ago, Krapow said:

I genuinely like going to temples, anything like that, or historical buildings. 

Gonna make a point of going to the white temple at Chiang Rai next year.

Same as. 

I know an awful lot more about the symbolism of the Thai version of Buddhism than I used to. Each temple has its own artistic interpretation of basically the same story and I genuinely find that interesting.

Want to do the white temple somewhen but I am not keen on the crowds so I will be choosing the time carefully.

I really don't think you have to be a believer in whatever religion to appreciate the places of worship. The general feeling of calm, serenity call it what you like, is undeniable in some places. Likewise if the architecture is appealing then I really don't care what version of the religion it represents. 

Apart from Muslim obviously.... 😋

Edited by Smiler
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1