A great little bar in Koh Chang

alfazulu

The first time I visited Koh Chang was almost nine years ago. Other than there's a Makro, BigC and of course a few Tesco Lotus branches now, the island hasn't changed much. It could be due to the fact that the majority of it is a national park and the rather smaller part that holds resorts and small businesses is in the hands of basically five families. All those who ventured into having some sort of businesses in Koh Chang are paying rent to one of those. When my good friend M. asked me if I wanted to manage his bar in Koh Chang, I was ecstatic.

The Bars

The nightlife here isn’t the same as in Pattaya but if you do a bit of a research, you may find your diamond in the rough here as well. The whole nightlife is basically falls on the West side of the island. First you have White Sand Beach, here there’s one bar complex along the main road, then you have Lonely Beach in the South, which is home of the clubs, discos, this is here all the youngsters are with all the sex&dogs&rock and roll. Somewhere in the middle lies Chai Chet with all its small beer bars along the road, that is where my bar is. It’s called Princess.

Princess-sign2NEW2sm.jpg

• Like 6
  • Great Info 1

The ferry starts operating at 6:30 a.m and runs throughout the day, the last one coming around 19:00 but need to verify that. The crossing time is about 30 min utes and it's cheap, 120 baht per vehicle and 80 baht per person.

Koh-Chang-Map-Q4-18.jpg

• Like 1
  • Great Info 3

Nice pics Alf, great to see you posting again and Ko Chang I was at back in March with wifey. 

Nice and chill place, you are spot on, some good diamonds in the rough there.

Was cool that we were able to drive the car right to the ferry and and have it on the island. Roads are treachereous though, but still fun.

Ko Chang4.jpg

Ko Change3.jpg

Edited by Yessongs
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

How long is the journey from pattaya to the ferry port, what sort of fare would you expect to pay ?

Cheers

I drove there in 4hrs Gerry, had a couple of short stops on the way. A taxi would set you back about 3k bht from Patts. The ferry is cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

17 minutes ago, Binlid said:

I drove there in 4hrs Gerry, had a couple of short stops on the way. A taxi would set you back about 3k bht from Patts. The ferry is cheap.

About the same time it took us.

We had a hire car which we drove over there. This allowed us to explore the island. If you are comfortable driving in Thailand this would be my preferred option and would be about the same price of using a taxi but also gives you the freedom of going anywhere you desire.

23 minutes ago, Binlid said:

I drove there in 4hrs Gerry, had a couple of short stops on the way. 

3 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

We had a hire car which we drove over there. This allowed us to explore the island. 

If you didn't have your own transport there, is it feasible to get around fairly easily - e.g. by Baht bus?

If you didn't have your own transport there, is it feasible to get around fairly easily - e.g. by Baht bus?
There are baht buses going up and down on the Main road but not as cheap as Pattaya, you have to negotiate the price. Motorbike rental is cheap and the best solution in my opinion. rental bikes are everywhere

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

4 hours would be a safe bet with a couple of coffee stops. there is also a so called VIP bus Service between pattaya and koh Chang, quite comfortable and they take you to the island they pick you up at your address and they drop you off at your destination. Price ranges between five and seven hundred baht depending on company

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Great Info 2

2 hours ago, alfazulu said:

There are baht buses going up and down on the Main road but not as cheap as Pattaya, you have to negotiate the price.

Too true Alfa, we were staying at WSB and wanted a BB back there from the little bar complex further up the main road, 200bht and this was 10 years ago for a circa 3/4 mile ride, we walked lol