Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

18 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Agreed, pretty embarrassing from what is supposed to be a professional media outlet. I'm also curious as to what the difference is between an 'informal walk' and a 'formal walk'. 

Long trousers with creases :default_cool:

• Haha 5

On 10/21/2020 at 2:56 PM, boydeste said:

How quick has that rolled around?

We need a vaccine toot sweet so you can celebrate properly methinks. 

Yeah...26 years after first setting foot in Pattaya and vowing that this was the place I wanted to live when I retired, a lot has changed. Still want to return, but maybe for a more modest 2-3 months a year.

But under the current circumstances, it looks to be a waste of time to even think about returning any sooner than Aug or Sept of 2021.

Personally, despite the best efforts of Blue Streaks photography skills of all those great looking, and mostly empty bars, unfortunately, as well as Phil's "come on down" pronouncements in his thread, I won't bother contemplating another visit until probably December next year.

By then, I'm hoping the Thai gov't will have eased up their draconian travel restrictions on foreigners and folks from the 4 corners of the planet will once again be allowed to enter the Kingdom.

Even us Yanks!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Yeah...26 years after first setting foot in Pattaya and vowing that this was the place I wanted to live when I retired, a lot has changed. Still want to return, but maybe for a more modest 2-3 months a year.

But under the current circumstances, it looks to be a waste of time to even think about returning any sooner than Aug or Sept of 2021.

Personally, despite the best efforts of Blue Streaks photography skills of all those great looking, and mostly empty bars, unfortunately, as well as Phil's "come on down" pronouncements in his thread, I won't bother contemplating another visit until probably December next year.

By then, I'm hoping the Thai gov't will have eased up their draconian travel restrictions on foreigners and folks from the 4 corners of the planet will once again be allowed to enter the Kingdom.

Even us Yanks!

As soon as the man from Del Monte says ''yes'' I'll be banging out snaps of bars, packed to the rafters

having fun m8......lol.....

• Like 3

On 10/22/2020 at 4:22 PM, Thai Spice said:

4 min was all I could stand. .... Cant stand the bloody accent, and why doesn't he take that potato or tobacco ball out of his month when speaking ? 

I totally agree with you on this one, TS. But congrats to you on making it 4 minutes. I think I bailed after 3.

I don't know this guy, never met him. I have spent a bit of time in a Nightwish bar or two, but for Gawd Sakes...in listening to this guy drone on and on in that nasally accent, I've heard more excitement in a hostage video!

This guy makes Michael Caine reading a column from The Economist sound simply Shakespearean in comparison.

At least I have found a surefire cure for those nights when suffering from insomnia and can't get to sleep by 5 am. I'll just type this guy's name on You Tube and hell, I'll be out like a light in less than 10 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just back from an afternoon at Sky Gallery and the place was absolutely rammed. 

Always a good time there and very popular with Thais so naturally busy on a Saturday afternoon of a long weekend. 

Probably not the place for most farangs with a pint of Stella for 300 baht though lol. 

• Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, Esco said:

Always a good time there and very popular with Thais so naturally busy on a Saturday afternoon of a long weekend. 

Probably not the place for most farangs with a pint of Stella for 300 baht though lol. 

Stop telling members here that Thais have money lol

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Esco said:

Cracking spot. Selfie central, every fucker getting their photos in, which is fair enough considering the backdrop. 

28 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Stop telling members here that Thais have money lol

The majority of Thais couldn't afford to eat at The Sky Gallery. For most Thais a holiday consists of a day trip somewhere with cases of Leo and a mat to eat cart food on. 

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

The majority of Thais couldn't afford to eat at The Sky Gallery. For most Thais a holiday consists of a day trip somewhere with cases of Leo and a mat to eat cart food on. 

And where do the majority of foreigners eat and drink in Pattaya, probably not at the Sky Gallery.

My point is there are plenty of Thais with money, both in Pattaya, Bangkok and the provinces despite what gets printed on the many foreign forums in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Agree with Dave totally ......... Thailand was a booming global economy pre-lockdown big middle class with disposable income rising all the time last I looked 16th biggest in the world.

Thais like most countries are going for internal home tourism.  Jomtien I believe is very busy weekends for example.

Never been Sky Gallery where is it ??? Is it the Hilton place love it there ...... ??? 

Esco will be watching the UFC just now ....... :default_drinks:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

And where do the majority of foreigners eat and drink in Pattaya, probably not at the Sky Gallery.

My point is there are plenty of Thais with money, both in Pattaya, Bangkok and the provinces despite what gets printed on the many foreign forums in Thailand.

There is a huge misconception when it comes to Thais and money. Many for some reason think 99% of Thais earn minimum wage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I'm not disagreeing there are Thais with money, but it's a gross exaggeration to suggest the streets of Bangkok, Pattaya and the provinces are lined with gold. It's one of the most unequal countries in the world. I've spent months and months in Bangkok, venture outside Silom, Sukhumvit, Siam etc and you will see how the majority of Bangkokians live.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Even us Yanks!

I’ve been coming to LOS for 1/2 that time and the changes are noticeable enough to change my retirement views too.  I had initially planned to retire in Thailand, but within the last few years decided to just visit 2-3 times per year instead.  I split my time now with the Philippines.  

Some of my main concerns are

- Visa difficulties 

- Farong’s not being truly accepted by Thai’s, but tolerating us. 

- Thai govt rules/regulations/dual pricing. 

- Scams

I’ve worked and lived in over a dozen countries and always felt part of the community where I lived, but not so much in Thailand.  I feel that Thai’s tolerate us farangs, but don’t truly accept foreigners. 

The Retirement Visa/Permanent Visa requirements are tedious in Thailand vs other countries on my list. The Goal Posts seem to continually change. It feels IMHO that they don’t really value me being here.  

I’m not really religious, but majority of my older family members are buddhist.  Many Thai’s claim they are buddhist, but their actions reflect something else.   

I use to work full-time in Thailand and dealt with Thai Govt & Thai Agencies in cooperation with the US Chamber of Commerce.  From comparing that relationship with other countries, I feel there is some real issues doing business in Thailand.

I still make LOS a second home, but don’t have that warm & fuzzy feeling like years ago when I first arrived.  

I hope that Thailand someday moves/makes changes that are more in line with the 21st century.  

I always hope for the best for Thailand and the Thai people.  I believe they will get through with the current Covid situation, albeit maybe a slow one...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

Agree with Dave totally ......... Thailand was a booming global economy pre-lockdown big middle class with disposable income rising all the time last I looked 16th biggest in the world.

Thais like most countries are going for internal home tourism.  Jomtien I believe is very busy weekends for example.

Never been Sky Gallery where is it ??? Is it the Hilton place love it there ...... ??? 

At Cosy beach m8 on the cliff, they were never going to build on it I was told years ago..

A bit like the Dusit Thani wall.......brown envelopes...lol....the land of LOS.........

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

^ ^ ^

Chinese butter Thai's bread theses days...make no mistake.

Thai/Chinese business and blood connections go back centuries. Mass tourism is new as the PRC has only had a middle class with disposable income in the last decade, or so.

Thais keep their relationships with the West for business and security reasons. Western tourism will fall by the wayside as more and more Chinese arrive.

Why do you think they allowed a Chinese tour group first in the new "Covid entry" program?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

I'm not disagreeing there are Thais with money, but it's a gross exaggeration to suggest the streets of Bangkok, Pattaya and the provinces are lined with gold. It's one of the most unequal countries in the world. I've spent months and months in Bangkok, venture outside Silom, Sukhumvit, Siam etc and you will see how the majority of Bangkokians live.

Can't see where I was saying the streets are lined with gold but there are Thais who are willing to take the stictching off their wallets.

My point and I am not really needing to stress it is that most foreigners think that all Thais are poor barring a few in high circles.  Fact is that many Thais have disposable incomes that allow them to spend in places like Sky Bar and that is why it was noticed by Esco. 

After coming to Thailand and SE Asia for over 33 years it is noticeable that Thais are spending more, in fact you know that when spending they are like other Asians, they will part with their money easily without complaining about it.

Of course there are poor Thais, they can be seen in every corner of Thailand but no different than seeing low income foreigners in the western cities.

You have obviously spent good times in the Thai establishments across the country and the purse strings there are very loose and even for those who don't really have it to spend. Thais just like to enjoy themselves and you will rarely see a Thai nursing one draft beer in a Thai club, I certainly haven't seen much evidnece of that.

It was just an observation from years of being among them, I don't have excel sheets or graphs to back it up, I leave that to others lol.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Murchie said:

There is a huge misconception when it comes to Thais and money. Many for some reason think 99% of Thais earn minimum wage.

That's because 99% of farangs on forums deal only with Pattaya and its Issan population ?

Very few have worked with Thais in a normal industry or even have contact with them...

Add a few charity posts and food distribution, and you have an image of a population of poor and starving.

• Like 2

No person is a Island except maybe the very rich, very secure government workers, maybe the securely retired...

All the rest of the Thais will become more poor the longer Covid   drags on...

If Covid drags on long enough eventually the banks will have to re-value all their property loans and all the somewhat well-off Thais you guys are crowing about will find themselves joining the ranks of the poor....I am talking millions and millions and millions Thais....Rental prices have been dropping like a rock for many months.....Eventually this will affect property values and then mother of all bubbles will pop....... 

7 hours ago, nampla69 said:

It's at Cosy Beach on Pratamnak hill like Blue Streak already mentioned. Right next to the Chocolate Factory which was just as rammed but offers little more than overpriced coffee and cake. 

What a performance by Khabib mate. The p4p #1 by a country mile. 

• Thumbs Up 1