Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

And where do the majority of foreigners eat and drink in Pattaya, probably not at the Sky Gallery.

My point is there are plenty of Thais with money, both in Pattaya, Bangkok and the provinces despite what gets printed on the many foreign forums in Thailand.

The Sky Gallery is up there with the likes of the Horizon at the Hilton so obviously not for everyone but I dont think you or anyone else tried to claim it is. 

Indeed plenty of money in this place and much more than most people think. 

@dcfc2007 if you've been all over Bkk you must have noticed that it's Thais who shop at Emporium, Thais who eat at the good restaurants and Thais who drive the fancy cars. You seem to focus on the have-nots while the haves are there and their group is growing mate. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Esco said:

The Sky Gallery is up there with the likes of the Horizon at the Hilton so obviously not for everyone but I dont think you or anyone else tried to claim it is. 

@dcfc2007 if you've been all over Bkk you must have noticed that it's Thais who shop at Emporium, Thais who eat at the good restaurants and Thais who drive the fancy cars. You seem to focus on the have-nots while the haves are there and their group is growing mate. 

kool-aid is a refreshing drink......

• Haha 1

I will be in the new RObinson mall just out outside Pattaya in the 331 today.  thats not a cheap shop but I know it will be busy, 99.5% thais

the spedn economy here is doing a balancing act right now, seeing promotions for thais to travel inter country.  hotels are as cheap as chips, and wit so many now having cars and trucks, which they pay for,   they travel with ease.  sure there is still a heavy poor population but it isnt really in the mid  of thailand , where there is still work available, in factories etc.

the current future ex was on 26-30K a month in a facotry as a QC controller,

My thai staff are on double min wage  and work 5 days a week

things aint what they used to be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

I will be in the new RObinson mall just out outside Pattaya in the 331 today.  thats not a cheap shop but I know it will be busy, 99.5% thais

the spedn economy here is doing a balancing act right now, seeing promotions for thais to travel inter country.  hotels are as cheap as chips, and wit so many now having cars and trucks, which they pay for,   they travel with ease.  sure there is still a heavy poor population but it isnt really in the mid  of thailand , where there is still work available, in factories etc.

the current future ex was on 26-30K a month in a facotry as a QC controller,

My thai staff are on double min wage  and work 5 days a week

things aint what they used to be

Same in the "Robinson" mall up here in Mae Sot which was never a major tourist Town anyway. Their car park is packed all weekend with me often the only token farlang.

The protracted lockdown and subsequent restrictions did however cause real problems with "food banks" appearing to support those minority of Thai's suddenly out of work.

Once those were largely lifted the town appears back to normal as it has no dependancy on tourists.

You are correct about hotel prices as even in Mae Sot I am seeing rooms available at a good hotel for around 600 baht. I will book myself into my usual hotel in Soi Bukhou for the weekend when I return so I can go on the piss without having to drive and that is 590 baht for a nice modern room in two minute creeping back distance from some disgustingly naughty haunts. 🤣

Edited by Jambo

8 hours ago, Esco said:

It is growing, like I said, I'm not disagreeing with that. But it's a gross exaggeration to suggest thats the norm for Thais.

Go outside the CBD in Bangkok and you will see that most Thais live in 5-10k baht rooms, most of them can't afford to get the bts and have to slug it out on the buses.

Of course 

Even if you cast your mind back to March or April, scense of hundreds if not thousands standing in the baking heat for food handouts. 

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

It is growing, like I said, I'm not disagreeing with that. But it's a gross exaggeration to suggest thats the norm for Thais.

Go outside the CBD in Bangkok and you will see that most Thais live in 5-10k baht rooms, most of them can't afford to get the bts and have to slug it out on the buses.

Of course you have the opposite, Siam Paragon mall is full of wealthy Thais buying supercars and other gross displays of wealth. 

But if you cast your mind back to March or April, scense of hundreds if not thousands standing in the baking heat for food handouts. 

23 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Of course 

Even if you cast your mind back to March or April, scense of hundreds if not thousands standing in the baking heat for food handouts. 

There's rich and poor in every country though mate, and every major city has areas where both groups reside usually far apart from each other, and of course the pandemic has only made that already apparent gap wider. 

You can always do your bit by buying some water online for those thirsty girls down soi 6. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Esco said:

There's rich and poor in every country though mate, and every major city has areas where both groups reside usually far apart from each other, and of course the pandemic has only made that already apparent gap wider. 

You can always do your bit by buying some water online for those thirsty girls down soi 6. 

Posted in the joke thread.😁

38 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Can it get much worse 

sadly yes as this will be the first time in anyones memory that we have not a day of high season.    todays norm for business will be the stagnant norm until mid next year at earliest.  its frickin tough for all right now,  and no amount of cutbacks will help.  landlords are back asking full rents, staff want some kind of salary and yet no customers.    by mid 2021 I cant see more than 40% of bars open compared to a year ago, if that.  sorry to be negative

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

sadly yes as this will be the first time in anyones memory that we have not a day of high season.    todays norm for business will be the stagnant norm until mid next year at earliest.  its frickin tough for all right now,  and no amount of cutbacks will help.  landlords are back asking full rents, staff want some kind of salary and yet no customers.    by mid 2021 I cant see more than 40% of bars open compared to a year ago, if that.  sorry to be negative

Worrying times..I wish you well

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

From what you are saying, even if tourism were to return by next summer, it could take a couple of years for confidence in starting up bars and restaurants again. Perhaps Pattaya will never fully recover. Once there is a trigger for Western tourists to re enter the Kingdom, there may not be a full on rush, as money has become tighter in their own countries with job losses and insecurity of employment.  OK for retire folk like me, but will still have higher insurance costs and its inevitable that the cost of flights will increase. 

I have been checking out what I would need to do for a 6 week trip recently, including compulsory quarantine hotel, if they reduce it to 10 days, but having seen that video clip, I am not so sure whether I want to spend a month in a ghost town for a holiday. Its not looking good at all from every angle 

• Like 1

Pattaya will become a more significant part of the expanding  Chinese Riviera... 

Hainan Island; Da Nang, Nha Trang & Phu Quoc Island VN; Sihanoukville Cambodia; Pattaya/Rayong & Phuket TH; Penang MY; Singapore, etc.

Belt & Road, Sand & Surf...

That's why the Thais are bending over to let the Chinese tourists back in first. They're young, Covid-free & have cash in hand. They're sending a loud message.

Just a function of proximity, demographics and the new world order. It's been underway for awhile ...Covid has just accelerated the transition.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Pattaya will become a more significant part of the expanding  Chinese Riviera... 

Hainan Island; Da Nang, Nha Trang & Phu Quoc Island VN; Sihanoukville Cambodia; Pattaya/Rayong & Phuket TH; Penang MY; Singapore, etc.

That's why the Thais are bending over to let the Chinese tourists back in first. They're young, Covid-free & have cash in hand. They're sending a loud message.

Just a function of proximity, demographics and the new world order. It's been underway for awhile ...Covid has just accelerated the transition.

You could be spot on with that post.

Time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lazarus said:

And add to that,the difficulty now,for people that are at the age when I first started going.

I know that middle 20 something Canadians can’t afford to do what we did in the mid 90’s.

We are still the young ones playing golf over there.Weve never been replaced by younger dudes.

When I landed in Pattaya,there were oodles of younger guys,playing golf,doing island trips,barfining tons of girls.

They can’t afford it now.
i imagine its the same in the UK and of course the US.

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

43 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

And add to that,the difficulty now,for people that are at the age when I first started going.

I know that middle 20 something Canadians can’t afford to do what we did in the mid 90’s.

We are still the young ones playing golf over there.Weve never been replaced by younger dudes.

When I landed in Pattaya,there were oodles of younger guys,playing golf,doing island trips,barfining tons of girls.

They can’t afford it now.
i imagine its the same in the UK and of course the US.

Any guy under 60 are the young ones now days......

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Seems so.

Even more so now .....5-6 months ago I saw a fair number of younger looking farang in Pattaya....Now I hardly ever see younger guys here...There are still a "few" youngins kicking around but their numbers get smaller all the time...

If I had to guess I would say over 50 farangs outnumber the under 50 farangs  100 to 1.......

Edited by fforest
  • Haha 1