Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

17 minutes ago, Painter said:

Churchill's, on buckhou, once a bar, then an expat shop, has closed it's doors as an expat shop  and is being remodelled into..... drum roll..... a bar....

20230324_092422.jpg

I couldn't work out who his target customers were ... No good for tourists without a microwave in their room and no good for expats with no parking and very little on the shelves ..

If he had put a microwave in the shop and a sign outside saying "hot pies to take away" I would understand...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Painter said:

Churchill's, on buckhou, once a bar, then an expat shop, has closed it's doors as an expat shop  and is being remodelled into..... drum roll..... a bar....

20230324_092422.jpg

I went here to buy cheese.....The cheese selection was just sad....I was expecting a Siamburi’s......Wrong.....Not even close.......So for me I was One-and-done...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/22/2023 at 7:40 PM, Nightcrawler said:

I noticed on my last visit, that Kiss Food on 2nd Road now closes at 1pm. 

Strange.....Kiss food has been 24hrs pretty much since the dinosaurs roamed the earth...

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, fforest said:

So how long is the key money good for?

If you add the 900,000 baht plus 300,000 key money plus 30,000 a month rent......How much would that really be a month?

Plus electric, water, music license....Girls' salary......etc ......Man, this is getting expensive..

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 3

So it looks like there will be 70 bars...Let's say at 30,000 baht a month they should be pulling in over 2 million a month and around 25 million a year on just the rent...

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, frankholland said:

Key money is yearly. With these rents the cheap beers are no option in the new MIT.

So for the cheapest bar amortized key money plus rent is 51,333/month. That's a lot of beer to sell to cover overhead and operating costs. Expect they'll raise drink prices to levels that will scare most away.

Just don't see how the new MIT beer bars can possibly succeed.

Hard to believe all but two of the bars have been snapped up. Makes me wonder what they know that we don't.

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

If you remember the layout of the old MIT complex, the new layout looks to be very very close to the old complex they demolished not long ago.....

It looks to me like every meter of wasted space in the old complex is being rechanneled into getting as many new rent-paying bars as possible in the new MIT.....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

So for the cheapest bar amortized key money plus rent is 51,333/month. That's a lot of beer to sell to cover overhead and operating costs. Expect they'll raise drink prices to levels that will scare most away.

Just don't see how the new MIT beer bars can possibly succeed.

Hard to believe all but two of the bars have been snapped up. Makes me wonder what they know that we don't.

New Plaza Bar owners must be rubbing their hands at the prospect of nobody wanting to pay the new MiT prices ..

I think they know that the sea side of WS is going to get flattened, as do the new investments along that side of WS because the money has been cleaned and they will get damned good Government compensation...

Winner Winner New Plaza Dinner !!

• Thumbs Up 2

One more comment.....

The corner bars look fine because they are open on 2 sides.....But the rest of the in-between bars will only have one side open to customers........Only so many bar stools will fit on that one side...And cut down on how many beers you can sell....

So if you have a few Cheap Charles, nursing their beers for hours and hogging your few bar stools........Well, your ship will be sunk for the night as far as bar profits go......

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Amazing Thailand. Parking for 3 cars.

One of my big moans about Pattaya is the parking of motorcycles. It has really got out of hand. Walking through Soi LK Metro is getting very difficult as it has become a mc parking lot.

And walking along Buakhao has got even more difficult with so many more motorcycles parked there now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bazle said:

One of my big moans about Pattaya is the parking of motorcycles. It has really got out of hand. Walking through Soi LK Metro is getting very difficult as it has become a mc parking lot.

And walking along Buakhao has got even more difficult with so many more motorcycles parked there now.

My take is it has more to do with lack of proper footpaths, especially along Buakhao. LK not so bad as it's closed to vehicle traffic and there's plenty of space to walk, just have to be aware of the occasional motorbike making its way through the crowd.

For the new MIT rents you have to see the big picture. I made a rough calculation, and than some conclusions.

Cost of running a bar in new MIT per month.

rent                                                                                                          50000

Initial cost (bar stools, refrigerator, ventilators, billiard, music ect)      5000

music license (50000 a year)                                                                   4000

police money                                                                                             3000

personel (1 cashier and at least 7 ladies or LB)                                    50000

electricity and water 5000 and ice 3000                                                8000

That is 120000 a month. Sure i forgot some items, and you can discuss the money involved in each item, but it comes down to at least 4000 Bath profit you must make a day before the owner can make money. For simplicity I take they they only sell beer(I know they also make money from bar fines and more profit on lady drinks). A bottle per box cost around 35 to more than 40 Baht (san Miguel). So if you sell at 80 Baht, you must sell at least 100 bottles a day before making money. The rent in the old MIT was around 25000 Baht. If they sold the beer than at 70 Baht they also had to sell around 100 bottles a day (the beer 3 years ago was slightly cheaper). So a mark up of 10 Baht covers the higher rent. Rent is a major cost, but the other items add to more than that. The point is that you have to have enough customers. Many new owners have already bars. So if the have regular customers base they will come visit the new bar. When you start a bar for the first time, you will have a very difficult first half year, so you must have deep pockets to start and hope for the best.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, frankholland said:

For the new MIT rents you have to see the big picture. I made a rough calculation, and than some conclusions.

Cost of running a bar in new MIT per month.

rent                                                                                                          50000

Initial cost (bar stools, refrigerator, ventilators, billiard, music ect)      5000

music license (50000 a year)                                                                   4000

police money                                                                                             3000

personel (1 cashier and at least 7 ladies or LB)                                    50000

electricity and water 5000 and ice 3000                                                8000

That is 120000 a month. Sure i forgot some items, and you can discuss the money involved in each item, but it comes down to at least 4000 Bath profit you must make a day before the owner can make money. For simplicity I take they they only sell beer(I know they also make money from bar fines and more profit on lady drinks). A bottle per box cost around 35 to more than 40 Baht (san Miguel). So if you sell at 80 Baht, you must sell at least 100 bottles a day before making money. The rent in the old MIT was around 25000 Baht. If they sold the beer than at 70 Baht they also had to sell around 100 bottles a day (the beer 3 years ago was slightly cheaper). So a mark up of 10 Baht covers the higher rent. Rent is a major cost, but the other items add to more than that. The point is that you have to have enough customers. Many new owners have already bars. So if the have regular customers base they will come visit the new bar. When you start a bar for the first time, you will have a very difficult first half year, so you must have deep pockets to start and hope for the best.

Fantastic job breaking down the expenses....

As far as what the rent was before.....Some of the prime corner bars may very well have been renting for 25,000 a month.....

But Larry said here

I've been told by a person who bought one of the locations in there they've already sold them out I know a couple people that were in there and their rent was 10000 a month 

The majority of bars there before were mighty run down so I am sure plenty were renting for well well under 25,000.......They could afford to sell beer cheaply...

The rent before was (information from a lady who rented in the old MIT for more than 10 year) 14000 a month. She had a bigger bar with 2 billiard. But there was a yearly key money of 60000 AND a 5 yearly key money of 300000 Baht. This comes down to an average of 24000 Baht a month. So if some body tell you the monthly rent, you must also ask all the involved key money to get to the actual rent. Maybe some smaller bars at the back had only a rent of 10000, but you have to add the key money.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

My take is it has more to do with lack of proper footpaths, especially along Buakhao. LK not so bad as it's closed to vehicle traffic and there's plenty of space to walk, just have to be aware of the occasional motorbike making its way through the crowd.

Sorry, but in the evening, I don't consider LKM as having plenty of space to walk. The bikes are parked layers deep, and I have to dodge speeding motorbikes walking through there. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2