What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

I'll bet there's a few who remember exchange rates like this back in 1998. And this was via a bank transfer. Sorry about the quality of the photo as its the best I can get it. 

For those of you who can't see so clear.... 88 baht to £1.

IMG-20190527-WA0054.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Jesus Wept Sterling is 39.84 this morning at TT exchanges at time of post

37.76 at Airport cartel rates (to be avoided obviously)

3,900tb = 100GBP Them dropping the panties will need to drop the price or go hungry.

JDM  

• Haha 6

On 5/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, Aqualung said:

I'll bet there's a few who remember exchange rates like this back in 1998. And this was via a bank transfer. Sorry about the quality of the photo as its the best I can get it. 

IMG-20190527-WA0054.jpg

I got 76 to £ in 2000. Halcyon days. 🤗

On 5/31/2019 at 7:55 AM, JDM said:

3,900tb = 100GBP Them dropping the panties will need to drop the price or go hungry.

JDM  

Gonna cost you that for a ST from some WS girls.

Can get the same price for a fit as f**k Eastern European girl back home,and without the drama.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Painter said:

So it seems.

Obviously I passed...

What's worse is if you order on line for pick up at the airport you get a much better rate than walk in customers.  Currently 37.4.  Still not good but better than the 32 in your pic.

FFS message from my friend on the ground Yellow TT exchange where he is at 38.96 simply savage. Interbank is only 39.21 and considering its a weekend mark down 38.96 is generous

Cartel rate at airport must be 36.xx something for christ sake. We're back here now to 25 years ago levels yet with "entertainment" costs at least 400% higher than back then

• Like 4

On 5/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, Aqualung said:

IMG-20190527-WA0054.jpg

If you look at the long term chart the Pound only went above 76-77 for about a week? or two?.....

So you must have made this transfer right at the top..

fforest That’s the rate I got in 2000, when I retired there.🤗 Just the luck of the draw back then, as I never looked at the rate before exchanging my £££ as FIL took a load of cash off me and got it changed and put it in the bank for me.

Land, food, cars, fuel, electric etc virtually everything seemed so cheap back then. We often ate in the Marriott, the Anantara and the Sofitel most weeks, as even their prices seemed cheap way back then.

We had 2 maids, which cost us around £210 a month wages for the two!.

Don’t know what ST or LT girls were back then, but there seemed to be a lot more Brits and Northern Europeans in Thailand in HH then, or there seemed to be.

Oh dear. 😟 

Will it go lower, probably, but a lot of Brits will still not be put off from going, including me.

It’s the ones planning to retire there on a tight budget, that may be thinking twice about their plans. 

48 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Oh dear. 😟 

Will it go lower, probably, but a lot of Brits will still not be put off from going, including me.

It’s the ones planning to retire there on a tight budget, that may be thinking twice about their plans. 

It would need to be close to 50 before i would consider going back.Though having a few years break from the place has done me good.Was getting a bit jaded and not had the enthusiasm i used to have on the build up to a trip.

As i don't earn a big salary i can't afford to be blase about exchange rates.They have dropped just over 30% since i was last there just over 4 years ago.Was getting about 53/54.That's a big drop.

Yes mate, a big drop for anyone, even those with money to spare. 

We go mainly because my wife’s family is there, so no real choice where exchange rates are concerned.😟

At least the cost of accommodation and transport for us don’t amount to much, as they are already taken care of.

The wife and son go twice a year, sometimes three times and I just tag along on any trip there that I want. Don’t get me wrong, I love Thailand, but there are so many places closer to home in Europe that we can get to in 3 hours that we really enjoy going to, without the 12 hour flights. 

I used to get her family a yearly family visa for their visits to UK, but this year I got most her family 10 year family visas, so now they can come over for up to 6 months a year, which makes more sense for everyone, as they get to spend more time with their daughter and grandson and we also get to take them to places in UK and Europe that we like, but that they would probably never have visited. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I will be playing the underground Thai lottery when I am here to supplement my income. No worries. Last summer won close to 60k. It's really not difficult. 

Yea every ones a winner right?....lol

6 hours ago, fforest said:

The Australian dollar has been doing even worse than the Pound....It must be pretty grim for retirees...Sad... 

That's interesting, I just thought that it was the pound that was screwed although spending your pounds in the UK is just sweet.............