What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

On 6/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, fforest said:

Yea every ones a winner right?....lol

Not everyone. 555 I never played the underground before last year. But I learned quickly. You can win in many ways. I prefer to pick the last 2 numbers of the 6 numbers. You win 6k baht for every 100 baht you bet. Last year I bet 600 baht on the last 2 numbers being "2 3" in July and won 36k. Then in the second drawing in late July last year I bet 400 baht on the last 2 numbers being " 1 7" and won 24k. Mind you I did play a few numbers that did not hit so all in all, I won 58k. Most Thais who buy those tickets use those tickets to cash in on the underground. Or if you know the right Thais ( in my case, it's my condo security dudes) you can just give them the numbers you want without a ticket. So now you are in the know. 😊

• Like 1

This is the very real problem with Dollar/Baht moved out of that 31-33 range that I've mentioned several times

Live rate now interbank so less at TTs.....Dangerous territory if it breaches 30 than the skys the limit as to how far it could fall (or gain from a Thais point of view)

1 United States Dollar equals
30.72 Thai Baht
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RR007 said:

This is the very real problem with Dollar/Baht moved out of that 31-33 range that I've mentioned several times

Live rate now interbank so less at TTs.....Dangerous territory if it breaches 30 than the skys the limit as to how far it could fall (or gain from a Thais point of view)

1 United States Dollar equals
30.72 Thai Baht

The greenback has not been a concern for me since 2013 when it took a dump below 29. In late May this year it was hovering way over 31. Been a steady decline since then as it was 30.69 yesterday and I think it will continue to drop. For the first time in 6 years I have to make a decision of cashing all in now or waiting. Over the course of the next few days, I will make that decision. Maybe cash in 1/2 and wait another week before cashing in the rest or waiting. I have seen sudden spikes in past Julys but I really don't see that happening this year.

Still I have VERY, VERY little to moan about with the AUS and GPB exchange rate situations that are of a greater concern for my OZ and Brit friends. Even at 29, I am golden compared to what these friends are getting. 

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Like 2

About an hour ago, Super Rich in Bangkok were giving (dependent on note size) between 29.93 and 30.53 for the USD, between 39.05 and 39.15 for the GBP, and between 34.65 and 34.75 for the EUR. 

Sorry, couldn't get a decent pic. 

2019-06-25 11.41.22.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:37 PM, Horizondave said:

That's interesting, I just thought that it was the pound that was screwed although spending your pounds in the UK is just sweet............. 

Yeah, it's true, I just spent a month back there and, after Thailand, so much stuff in Britain seems quite reasonably priced, if not downright cheap, and it's usually better quality. A complete reversal from, say, 10 years ago when I'd go back to the UK and think how dreadfully expensive it was after Pattaya.

I'm working on a fallback plan for the coming 18 months. I don't want to have to over-winter in the UK so come hell or high water I'll be in Pattaya until next April or May, but if things haven't improved by then I'll probably put up the shutters on my house here and spend six months during the summer and early autumn of 2020 back in Britain. I'm lucky as I kept my place back there and haven't rented it out so I can return any time. I borrow my brother's car when I need to go anywhere so it's a low cost escape from high-cost Thailand, plus it'll save me one of the two business class air fares that I'd usually buy. Hell, I might even get some minor medical stuff sorted out free on the NHS instead of paying the inflated prices at Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

For anyone with a property in the UK either rented out or kept empty, must look good to them right now, given the exchange rates. Especially as you still get access to the NHS and other benefits if you go back  for long periods of time. Plus, I think the yearly increases in the state pension can be claimed in certain circumstances, depending on how long you’re in the UK, which you don’t get if a permanent resident in Thailand, but not 100% sure of that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

For anyone with a property in the UK either rented out or kept empty, must look good to them right now, given the exchange rates. Especially as you still get access to the NHS and other benefits if you go back  for long periods of time. Plus, I think the yearly increases in the state pension can be claimed in certain circumstances, depending on how long you’re in the UK, which you don’t get if a permanent resident in Thailand, but not 100% sure of that. 

You will get the state pension but it will never be index linked and increase year on year, it will stay the same as when you first received it. If you are resident in the UK and travel to Thailand often then you will receive the increase.

If you have an address in the Philippines and want your money sent there then it will be index linked.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Saw this earlier, not sure what they base their forecasts on. It’s a brave man who forecasts what the £/Baht rate will be in 2023  

http://poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb

I would say reasonably accurate post-Brexit. 27/30 spread  by 2023 if we are lucky.  

I always predicted 35 when I was on Secrets and all the Geoffrey Boycott's waded in it would be 75 etc ...... you are a non patriotic traitor scum etc ...... 

Sad sad sad ......... can only see Asia including india growing and us declining.  Shalom .... 🇮🇱

Edited by nampla69
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I retired and moved a lot of money over around 2000, I got 76, but told the wife back then, my bottom line would be 30, any lower and we wouldn’t transfer any more £’s to Thailand and we’d consider moving back to UK.

As it turned out, we didn’t need to transfer any more there after 2000, as the business was making good money and we didn’t need to touch the transferred money in our Thai bank accounts for living expenses and could spend it on other things.

We came back a few years ago, but not because of exchange rates, but for family issues with having an elderly parent here. So a forecast of 30 in 2023 now seems to be looking good, according to that site. 🤔

• Like 1

Considering that my Thai mother in law has £2k sterling sat at home doing nothing and considering that the new £20 note is due out in the first half of next year what would be the best thing to do regarding her exchanging it to baht? Wait till after brexit or get it changed as soon as possible? 

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Saw this earlier, not sure what they base their forecasts on. It’s a brave man who forecasts what the £/Baht rate will be in 2023  

http://poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb

Not as bad as the pound, but the same Economy Forecasting Agency website has the USD as low as 27.57 in 2023. 

https://longforecast.com/usd-to-bht-today-forecast

Out of curiosity, I am going to monitor their July and Aug predictions for both the USD and the £ against the actual rate for accuracy. I also am interested to see if they adjust the rates on their website or not as the days pass. 

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

Considering that my Thai mother in law has £2k sterling sat at home doing nothing and considering that the new £20 note is due out in the first half of next year what would be the best thing to do regarding her exchanging it to baht? Wait till after brexit or get it changed as soon as possible? 

Buy 2 grands worth of shares in Secrets Cambodia.😀

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Bazle said:

Wow! That is ultra depressing. Down to 28 in 2023.

Absolute load of bollacks (not your post per se but the 28 bit)

Guys listen whilst the Baht is strong against the Dollar causing some damage (which only yesterday the Thai government said they were putting in measures to weaken it) the main issue is Sterling/Dollar $1.56 the day of the referendum and $1.26 today....if we'd had none of this Brexit bollacks in the first place Sterling would be 48.04 today....thats not a prediction that exactly where we would be today.... period.

Soon as Brexit is sorted Sterling will surge against the Dollar just hang in there. Predictions of 28 are just fantasy christ we'd be sub parity with the Greenback and we sure as hell wouldnt be worried about exchange rates in Thailand as we'd have a 1001 things to worry about at home at sub parity

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2