What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

9 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Looks like it's going to plummet from 38.xx to 36.xx in absolutely record time.

Now that a hard Brexit seems the likely outcome, a lot of currency traders are (have been) probably shorting the GBP , so that doesn't help.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Stillearly said:

What are you going to do ....stay home and never travel ... ?

No I have already said Southern Spain is the destination of choice instead if it came to the point I was only going Thailand for sun sea beach pool and boozing but no girls

On the basis I've hardly bothered anyway with them last 3-4 years than seems times up. 37.18 is crucifying everyone and frankly its no fun at these levels no matter what your bank balance is packing

Edited by RR007

17 minutes ago, RR007 said:

lol friend sent me FB message yesterday " we will soon be looking back fondly at 42 to the £"

I already am, but what can you do?

I own my house in Pattaya and have a car and motorbike here, most of my stuff's pretty new and in good shape so it should last for years, and if I'm careful then I don't see any major expenditures on the horizon (though there's always the unknown unknowns, of course). So the exchange rate only really affects my food and drink costs, electricity, and discretionary spending. I'd never spend a winter in the UK so it might be possible to go back for six months in the summer to enjoy the 'cheaper cost of living' back there, but the savings aren't going to be life-changing. I go back to the UK twice a year for a month anyway, and bring back to Thailand the best part of two suitcases full of food, so a lot of what I eat in Thailand I buy in the UK anyway. Booze is becoming very expensive in Thailand at these exchange rates, it may be a good excuse to cut down on my alcohol consumption, who knows? Plus if I started spending summer back in the UK I'd lose my non-resident status for tax purposes, which would complicate life for a while, as well as making it permanently more expensive. I haven't worked out all the numbers yet, but as long as I'm careful in Pattaya and don't go crazy in a Gogo bar or whatever, then even below 30 Baht/£ I don't see much upside to returning to the UK for half the year.

The other thing to remember is that Britain imports a hell of a lot more than it exports, so the weak pound will work its way through into consumer prices eventually and inflation will go up. The current 'low cost of living' in the UK is unlikely to last very long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RR007 said:

If you look at the Euro extremely close to slipping into the 33s and Aussie Dollar close to 20's its not just us Brits that are getting mullered

All a question of degree. The AUD and EUR are just being mugged, the GBP is being raped, sodomised and slaughtered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, RR007 said:

No I have already said Southern Spain is the destination of choice instead if it came to the point I was only going Thailand for sun sea beach pool and boozing but no girls

On the basis I've hardly bothered anyway with them last 3-4 years than seems times up. 37.18 is crucifying everyone and frankly its no fun at these levels no matter what your bank balance is packing

If it wasn't for the women I wouldn't be visiting Thailand either ....  if that's not a part of your holidays anymore then fair enough 

Think a lot of Brits are going to find visiting Spain etc relatively expensive this Summer .... from 1.44 pre referendum to 1.09 currently , they will be getting less than 1 at the exchange booths 

• Like 1

The guy who predicted the pound going to around 20-25 baht to sterling should become a member here.  I am interested in whether his vision of the dropping rates was based on us leaving with a deal or without a deal or just his view regardless of leaving with/without a deal.

When I first came to Thailand in 1987 the pound got me about 38-39 baht.   

Interested what will take place with the currency on 01 November.

6 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

The guy who predicted the pound going to around 20-25 baht to sterling should become a member here.  I am interested in whether his vision of the dropping rates was based on us leaving with a deal or without a deal or just his view regardless of leaving with/without a deal.

When I first came to Thailand in 1987 the pound got me about 38-39 baht.   

Interested what will take place with the currency on 01 November.

it's all to do with uncertainty surrounding a no deal scenario , if we leave with no agreements , confusion and chaos will reign and the pound will fall further ... if Boris agrees a deal and gets it through Parliament then the pound will recover very quickly 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

If it wasn't for the women I wouldn't be visiting Thailand either ....  if that's not a part of your holidays anymore then fair enough 

Think a lot of Brits are going to find visiting Spain etc relatively expensive this Summer .... from 1.44 pre referendum to 1.09 currently , they will be getting less than 1 at the exchange booths 

Lad whose in Corfu still got 1.094 earlier this morning albeit on Revolut within their £200 full forex allowance monthly. One thing he did say Greece has introduced 3 Euro local ATM charge now to all ATMS....

23 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Is your submit button broken @Punter 5555 😉 

The internet is really slow where I'm staying. I just got impatient. Apologies for the repetition. It wasn't intended. I've got less than three weeks now!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

it's all to do with uncertainty surrounding a no deal scenario , if we leave with no agreements , confusion and chaos will reign and the pound will fall further ... if Boris agrees a deal and gets it through Parliament then the pound will recover very quickly 

I understand the uncertainty surrounding the no deal scenario but my post was really aimed at finding out how the guy who anticipates the bottom falling out of the pound based his projection, was it solely on a no deal scenario or even if a deal was done.

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

From what I can make out, a no deal is more likely than ever. I'm not hopeful.

For what it's worth, I'd much rather be in Pattaya right now, in spite of the financial hit, than back in the UK. The girls have been great. I'm doing STs with freelancers at 1000 a time and they've all delivered. Doing LTs and taking them out partying is a thing of the past right now. I was never a big spender but it's not that difficult to make cuts.

I was telling myself that this could be the last time for a while, but now I'm here it's hard to contemplate Pattaya not figuring somewhere in the future. I just don't think there's anywhere else in the world quite like here. I'll be thinking of what to do next year as soon as I get back. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Punter said:

From what I can make out, a no deal is more likely than ever. I'm not hopeful.

Thats the way Boris and his cabinet are talking ... whether they are stupid enough to make it happen or it's just a negotiating stance I guess we will find out in 93 days or sooner 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Thats the way Boris and his cabinet are talking ... whether they are stupid enough to make it happen or it's just a negotiating stance I guess we will find out in 93 days or sooner 

I think he's stupid enough. I should probably wait three months before I book my next flight.

17 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Some scary numbers there Luke, good to see the AUD  dropping, hopefully it goes 15 or below.

I remember when it was as low as 11Bt-1Aud had 19 in 1997 and went mad in Feb 1998 think

43 to 1Aud

Regard

grayray