Pattaya Beach Nourishment

john luke

4 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

They will now have enough sand to hold the ladyboy beach volley ball tournament in Pattaya instead of Jomtien. This will save travel time for some BMs.

I made a joke about there being a ladyboy/gay love club in another thread and the forum search function almost went into meltdown.

7 hours ago, KhunDon said:

I must have clicked on this thread 6 times now, expecting to see posts about food and drink on the beach! 😟

Should’nt the title read “Pattaya Beach replenishment”? 🤗

"Nourishment" was the word given officially for the project.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, Painter said:

I'm still confused by what they are creating with those black blocks, which, ironically, are being fitted retrospectively . My initial thought was a "conduit" for the power cables, but that's not happening...

On 2/12/2019 at 12:31 PM, forcebwithu said:

Given the locations at low spots in the footpath I suspect it's their attempt at erosion control. Don't see how that will work, but we shall see with the first big rain.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, Painter said:

Possibly, but they seem to be fitting more and more of them along the length of the beach, as opposed to the couple of initial sections.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, john luke said:

Are they constructing some type of gutter or drainage track?

Those blocks are certainly a mystery. As suggested by the posts above, initially it looked as if they were being placed at the main run-off places, but now it's looking as if they are going to be put along the full length of the beach - as Painter says, retrofitted.

The other strange thing, IMO, is how the blocks are structured. For example, what is the function of the wet-looking pebbles? It is as if parts of the blocks are intended to be visible.

DSC00723a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bazel said:

Those blocks are certainly a mystery. As suggested by the posts above, initially it looked as if they were being placed at the main run-off places, but now it's looking as if they are going to be put along the full length of the beach - as Painter says, retrofitted.

The other strange thing, IMO, is how the blocks are structured. For example, what is the function of the wet-looking pebbles? It is as if parts of the blocks are intended to be visible.

DSC00723a.jpg

Looks like a draining system. Gravel stops the gross material, sand lets the water through ?

Will check later...now a glass of red in hand.......

14 minutes ago, Bazel said:

DSC00723a.jpg

Agree... strange, especially as the wet looking pebbles and sand are then boxed in and covered in concrete. 

Also, is this a deliberate gap, or did some measure things wrong?

20190215_122437.thumb.jpg.61cdcaa06e9fbca7f51a9ee55fd297f2.jpg20190215_122437.thumb.jpg.2fc8898150002ac824e7cb624bc7f268.jpg

9 minutes ago, Bazel said:

John,

Could you clarify what you mean by "two channels", please, as I can see only one.

image.png

I think water should run off the pavement and into trough marked 1.  Excessive water which does not fall into trough 1 would then go into trough two.  This should prevent it running onto the beach and taking large sections of sand with it.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 19.17.34.png

3 minutes ago, john luke said:

image.png

I think water should run off the pavement and into trough marked 1.  Excessive water which does not fall into trough 1 would then go into trough two.  This should prevent it running onto the beach and taking large sections of sand with it.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 19.17.34.png

But of course I could be wrong.

27 minutes ago, john luke said:

Thanks for clarifying but, with respect, I don't think that is correct - e.g. I cannot reconcile it with the pic below.

DSC00687.thumb.JPG.15f6ff9e7bd28531c8d742e8c164db8a.JPG

1 hour ago, Bazel said:

Thanks for clarifying but, with respect, I don't think that is correct - e.g. I cannot reconcile it with the pic below.

DSC00687.thumb.JPG.15f6ff9e7bd28531c8d742e8c164db8a.JPG

Seeing these later pics of the WIP leads me to believe they're decorative. Can't imagine what effect they would have in controlling erosion given the volume of water during a heavy rain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When they first started with those blocks, they were "laying" them one deep along the wall. My thought then was that they were to reinforce the wall where the walkway ended. There are some pics on shh that I took of these blocks and the erroding wall.

20190218_103114.thumb.jpg.69f3db59bd63b35bb4053f5d13c4bd5f.jpg

Then they went to double thicknesses, and weird shapes...

20190218_102212.thumb.jpg.ad07463365ad69c137534a52df1f7231.jpg

But why are some bits only single layered?20190218_102836.thumb.jpg.25715554a2d8b323de206d11945b246a.jpg

Regardless, they are taking into account the flood water run off from beach road

20190218_102006.thumb.jpg.81d1e957bbfa92e6cb00214b011b3ec2.jpg

But it appears someone got the depth wrong in one section... this poor bloke was using an angle grinder to lower the tops to put the capping on...

20190218_102924.thumb.jpg.0270fe5056b8fbf4ded16102d540c82f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Could also be some form work for pouring concrete ? Although I doubt is as usually they simply use wooden boards.

The wooden shuttering for the concrete was, I noticed this morning, held on by steel hoops from above... put on like a croquet hoop from above to stop the sides separating. Not sure why they would need that many though, as they seem to be doing no more that 10m lengths at a time...

5 hours ago, Painter said:

Sorry.... even more cheap pic than usual....

I resisted the temptation to write@Krapow's name in the wet concrete....

More later, maybe. Rather, er, occupied now

20190218_225150.jpg

Need to be very fancy writing and sprinkled with loads of these, or they'll know it's a frame up, Guv!

IMAG0291.jpg