Pattaya Beach Nourishment

john luke

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

The concrete pad across from soi 13/1 has a definite tilt to it now. Seaside edge that was once even with the drain channel has now sunk a good 10cm.

P4150005.thumb.jpg.31efd16e09ba192e664c2852202a5e04.jpg

Well, look at the positive aspect....it will make the water flow easier !

And faster 😁😁😁😁

The concrete pad across from soi 13/1 has a definite tilt to it now. Seaside edge that was once even with the drain channel has now sunk a good 10cm.

Thanks for the updates FBWY. However, I have to take issue with your use of the word "channel".

That word implies the water was meant to flow along it. You saw it being built so will recall that would never happen. They are more like long plant pots!

3 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Thanks for the updates FBWY. However, I have to take issue with your use of the word "channel".

That word implies the water was meant to flow along it. You saw it being built so will recall that would never happen. They are more like long plant pots!

Actually, they're designed to allow water to drain down. But even in a moderate rain shower they're quickly overwhelmed by the volume of water in which case they might as well use them as plant pots. :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

P4150005.thumb.jpg.31efd16e09ba192e664c2852202a5e04.jpg

Looking at that picture, it seems that the “drain” along the edge has been deliberately filled with sand and if the slab has sunk at the front, I don’t give it more than one season before the slab turns into crazy paving. 

13 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Looking at that picture, it seems that the “drain” along the edge has been deliberately filled with sand and if the slab has sunk at the front, I don’t give it more than one season before the slab turns into crazy paving. 

Not deliberately, but carelessly filled when they filled the washed out canyons after the last heavy rain.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Not deliberately, but carelessly filled when they filled the washed out canyons after the last heavy rain.

“Carelessly filled”. You are joking right? The materials have been piled way above the top of the drainage channel. Zoom in and you can see it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little light precipitation it chucked it down last evening, together with assorted flashes and crashes...

I couple from bottom of soi 12 and central mall areas

20190617_111330.jpg

20190617_111250.jpg

20190617_111020.jpg

20190617_110842.jpg

One of the concrete pads seems to be being undermined...

20190617_110705.jpg

The boardwalk by mikes is in a terrible state, with some half hearted repairs bodges. 

20190617_110853.jpg

20190617_110837.jpg

20190617_110819.jpg

Edited by Painter
  • Like 4

What the “designers” of these paving systems need to understand, is that they are basically building on sand. Once they’ve finally figured that out, it would be a start! Until then, they are wasting their time. 🤔

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, it seems the miracle solution for drainage problems has been found !

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/dongtan-drainage-system-to-be-model-for-future-projects-258560

1353-n4-Dongtan-beach.jpg

"Storm water flows directly into the sea through the grates to the left while wastewater is sent to the sewage treatment plant under the grates to the right"

OK, I can see some grates left aligned and some right aligned on the road.

now tell me, in case of heavy rain, how does the (clean) storm water knows to flow in the left grates, and the (dirty) waste water in the right grates ?

• Thanks 1

Beach Rd has the same set up, but can't cope with the volume of water. Same as the silly water channels they built into the low points on Beach Rd with the misguided hope the rain water would ignore the physics of volume vs sq cm area and conveniently drain into the channels rather than rip embarrassing channels through the beach sand to the sea.

• Like 2

Beach Rd has the same set up, but can't cope with the volume of water. Same as the silly water channels they built into the low points on Beach Rd with the misguided hope the rain water would ignore the physics of volume vs sq cm area and conveniently drain into the channels rather than rip embarrassing channels through the beach sand to the sea.

They have made the beach so big I dont see how making any sort of drainage to the sea would even be possible now.......I think the back-hoe drivers will have steady work for years to come filling in the canyons after every major rain...

• Like 2

On 7/4/2019 at 3:38 AM, Thai Spice said:

So, it seems the miracle solution for drainage problems has been found !

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/dongtan-drainage-system-to-be-model-for-future-projects-258560

1353-n4-Dongtan-beach.jpg

"Storm water flows directly into the sea through the grates to the left while wastewater is sent to the sewage treatment plant under the grates to the right"

OK, I can see some grates left aligned and some right aligned on the road.

now tell me, in case of heavy rain, how does the (clean) storm water knows to flow in the left grates, and the (dirty) waste water in the right grates ?

It’s one of those things no one knows TS. 

A bit like a thermos flask that keeps cold things cold and hot things hot, how does it know which is which. 🤔

56 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

It’s one of those things no one knows TS. 

A bit like a thermos flask that keeps cold things cold and hot things hot, how does it know which is which. 🤔

That one is called insulation...

But I got your point.

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, john luke said:

These have been posted elsewhere on the forum, but I have posted them here just to keep the Beach Refurbishment items in one place.

IMG_0029.jpg

These washout area's, why dpon't they make them as actual spillways instead of re-filling with sand everytime it rains ?

The large rubbish bins along Beach Road have been removed and, instead, wheely bins placed every few yards. 

It is just the two colours, so it's a reasonable guess that one is for waste to be recycled, and the other for everything else. 

Q. Which is which? 

2019-07-05 20.37.34.jpg