Sign in to follow this  
Lemondropkid

Cambodians more or less reliable than the Thais?

Feeling let down now and a  little bit annoyed- not sure if I'm just being too sensitive?

Am stopping in Siem Reap and was picked up yesterday from the coach station by the hotel tuk tuk driver . Lovely man, but he was pushing me into letting me take him around the temples today at Angkor Wat. I relented as I thought he was decent and deserved supporting.

We agreed on a price of $15 to meet me at the hotel at 3pm and to take me up, stay with me still sundown after 6, and then back. 

In the meantime this morning I got a lovely AC car using Passap (like Grab, a brilliant tool) to go to the Angkor Museum with a different driver, young chap, no connection  to the hotel . The driver said much better going with him in a car with the AC, no arguments there. Price he says all day, even early morning starts $35.

I'm thinking shit, I'm paying $15 to boil in a tuk tuk for 3 hours. So the new chap offers to take me today and I say no- a deals a deal, I've agreed with the hotel driver I'll go with him.

So come 3PM, you know what's coming, no sign of the driver. The hotel manager come over and say the driver is busy and his "brother" will take me. His "brother" seemed to have very little English, where as my original man was fluent and knew the temples.

Sent him on his way. Just felt like bait and switch to me.

Now am I being too sensitive? Would this have happened in LOS. Are the Thais any more reliable?

Ach, people see take the piss outta the soft touches the world over :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Probably got a better deal. Seem to remember I paid about $15 for something similar about 10 years ago.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

Ach, people see take the piss outta the soft touches the world over :default_biggrin:

It's not been the first incident. At some point on or after entering the country the word "Mug" seems to have been stencilled on my forehead in invisible yet readable Khmer script. 

Still enjoying myself though. Met plenty of decent locals so don't want to over play it. But as you state, a soft touch like me needs to be careful. 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this