How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Pumpuynarak

Checking into hotels - Passport requested for copying

Whats your understanding when checking into hotels here in Thailand ? they always ask for your passport for copying as they state they have to inform Immigration of your arrival. Now exactly what are they supposed to be copying, your main page showing your pic, your visa, your 90 day report ?

Does anyone know what the official requirements are ?

The main page showing your face and passport number 

they are not looking for your 90 day reporting 

immigration also ask them to check your visa stamp but a lot don’t do this.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Justice said:

The main page showing your face and passport number

BINGO, now i can see the requirement for this to comply with Immigration policy.

they are not looking for your 90 day reporting 

Well i had a request from Areca Lodge to copy my 90 day

immigration also ask them to check your visa stamp but a lot don’t do this.

Big bone of contention here AFAIC, WTF has my immigration status got to do with a hotel check in ?

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Helping immigration to catch those on overstay 

pretty much the same way motorbike taxis are asked to help the police to cut crime ( gold snatched etc)

• Like 2

If Areca asked to see your 90 day check in then it shows they are also checking your visa as if you had a tourist visa or 30 day wavier there would be no requirement to have a 90 day report 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom72 said:

the main page, if you have a Thai drivers licence you can use that

Now i've heard this before but what happens if they DON'T except your TDL and insist on your passport ?

1 hour ago, Tony Justice said:

Helping immigration to catch those on overstay 

pretty much the same way motorbike taxis are asked to help the police to cut crime ( gold snatched etc)

But is it an official Immigration requirement that you have to ALLOW a jobsworth hotel receptionist to make/take copies of your visa status ?

1 hour ago, Tony Justice said:

If Areca asked to see your 90 day check in then it shows they are also checking your visa as if you had a tourist visa or 30 day wavier there would be no requirement to have a 90 day report 

Bingo

I use my Thai Drivers license or my Pink Thai ID card.

I have used these for Domestic Flights with no worries..... have used both for checking into hotels with no worries...… have used them when Police were doing checks in Bkk with no problem.

I have only been asked for my passport once when booking into a hotel using my license.... when asked why they said they need my passport number.... pointed out that it was in my license.... no worries ...they accepted the license..

If the hotel insists on the passport.... and you want to check into that particular hotel.... then show it.... not a big deal.

cheers

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Whats your understanding when checking into hotels here in Thailand ? they always ask for your passport for copying as they state they have to inform Immigration of your arrival. Now exactly what are they supposed to be copying, your main page showing your pic, your visa, your 90 day report ?

Does anyone know what the official requirements are ?

Thai Hotels have to tell immigration what falangs are staying with them for how long and passport numbers etc.

Many also take a copy of the photo page, maybe to backup the info they advise immigration.

Stayed in approx 10 different hotels over the past 12months, missus checks in with her ID...... mine is never asked for.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Immigration requirement.

As long you dont care, no problem. If you want to be "discreet" no problem neither, plenty options.

When I lived in VN a VN national can not stay in the same room if not married. Of course everything can be "discussed"... My ex ex was French / VN so in any hotel she just showed her French passport and not the VN one.

We used to have something like that in France 40 years ago, when the police could check any hotel registration.

9 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Immigration requirement.

As long you dont care, no problem. If you want to be "discreet" no problem neither, plenty options.

When I lived in VN a VN national can not stay in the same room if not married. Of course everything can be "discussed"... My ex ex was French / VN so in any hotel she just showed her French passport and not the VN one.

We used to have something like that in France 40 years ago, when the police could check any hotel registration.

Not at all surprising thai immigration dont really care for ID when staying at a hotel in VN..... much like they don't care when I book into a hotel here is Aus.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

53 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Stayed in approx 10 different hotels over the past 12months, missus checks in with her ID...... mine is never asked for.

But what if it was you that booked the room ?

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now where did you get that info from ?

Public knowledge. Any tenants, or people who rent out places have to report ID of their foreign tenants to immigration in Thailand. 

Same here in Indo. My landlady has to report my presence to the police. In the jungle village, the Missus reports my stay to the village head..... 2 reasons, I an foreigner, we are not married...

13 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Not at all surprising thai immigration dont really care for ID when staying at a hotel in VN..... much like they don't care when I book into a hotel here is Aus.

WTF did you smoke again ?

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

WTF did you smoke again ?

I apologise if I mis-read your post and VN is in thailand.

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now i've heard this before but what happens if they DON'T except your TDL and insist on your passport ?

With respect if you're in Thailand than you 100% will have your passport with you or close by anyway ??

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RR007 said:

With respect if you're in Thailand than you 100% will have your passport with you or close by anyway ??

Do you carry your passport EVERYWHERE in Thailand i don't, i just have a copy in the car.

11 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Public knowledge. Any tenants, or people who rent out places have to report ID of their foreign tenants to immigration in Thailand. 

Yes agreed regarding your ID but i'm talking about your visa status.

1 minute ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Do you carry your passport EVERYWHERE in Thailand i don't, i just have a copy in the car.

A copy everywhere when I am overseas.

Except here in Indo, I use my local residency permit, or in HK where I use my HK ID.

Never the original psp, as in case of blackmail it could be a expensive hassle to get it back.

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

No I dont whatsover but definately would have it with me if there was the remotest possibility I might be checking into a hotel somewhere. I dont carry passport or even a copy of it in Pattaya but as soon as I leave pattaya area in car going sattahip rayong beaches etc I always have passport with me

• Thumbs Up 1