Yesitisdakid

Bottled drinking water can you tell the difference?

I have always pretty much figured the drinking water was all the same. I buy one and a half liter bottles from 7-Eleven or Family Mart or Tesco extra. I have found much to my liking the Tesco natural water or the 7-Eleven brand water or the Chang water. The singha and the Nestle Water just don't taste the same to me I don't like them can you tell the difference when you buy bottled water or does it all taste the same to you? Do you buy one brand or do you buy whatever's cheap or on sale?

I think the cheaper bottles of water are produced by the reverse osmosis process which removes all the minerals so they shouldn’t have much of any taste at all, other than ‘water’. The more expensive stuff, like imported Evian and so on, is actual mineral water which should taste a bit different from one brand to another, and very different from the cheap waters.

Of course, you also have to watch the best-before date. After all, the advert on TV told us that Volvic mineral water takes 2 million years to percolate through the volcanic rock filters, and yet they still stamp a best-before date that’s just six months away on the bottles!

• Haha 4

The only bottled water I've noticed that had a pronounced taste difference was in the heavy plastic bottles. Whatever plastic is used seemed to leach out into the water giving it an off taste.

Related image

• Like 1

it allways perplexed me, as well, 2 million years to filter through rocks, then best before date, stamped on bottle!!!....or are plastic bottles dangerous to water.

I have always bought Nestle water. Then, a few weeks ago, I picked up some other brand (name only in Thai) by mistake.

I certainly could tell the difference: it tasted horrible.

Remember some years back when there was a water shortage in Pattaya due to flooding affecting delivery.Everyone had cleared out most of the regular brands leaving only fancy expensive stuff like Evian sparkling etc.

Was dearer than beer so i just drank that all the time instead.😀

Personally i go for Nestle,Chang price range.

Agree that those cheap thick plastic bottles have a taste to them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1canbrian said:

it allways perplexed me, as well, 2 million years to filter through rocks, then best before date, stamped on bottle!!!....or are plastic bottles dangerous to water.

On a molecular level, plast bottles are tight enough to keep water inside and air outside, however certain scent molecules can slip through, resulting in water getting a different taste with time.

Healthwise there is nothing wrong with the water, just the taste. Also keep in mind, bottled water companies need to make money. If they can lure you into throwing away water and having you buy new bottles by putting a date on the bottle,  then they will do so, because it equals more money for the company owners.

1 hour ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Also keep in mind, bottled water companies need to make money. If they can lure you into throwing away water and having you buy new bottles by putting a date on the bottle,  then they will do so, because it equals more money for the company owners.

Bottled water companies increasingly use BPA-free plastic, but laced into plastic bottles are other chemicals that can seep out if bottles are exposed to heat or sit around for a long time. Some of these chemicals are possible endocrine disruptors. No one knows for sure what the health outcomes are.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11193/7-reasons-to-never-drink-bottled-water-again.html

I normally by Nestle water, but never thought about why, apart from the fact that it is a recognisable international brand 

Having read this, I am glad that I do. 

Its fine when buying water in a supermarket as there is a choice of brands, but in bars and restaurants you normally get whatever brand they happen to serve/stock.

Mrs Thinkingallowed certainly can and enjoyed her large bottle of San Pellegrino so much when dining at the Flare restaurant in the Hilton that she ordered another...

950C757A-7AB4-4FB2-99D9-7D6C15936D5C.png

It was off to the Plaza after that.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Mrs Thinkingallowed certainly can and enjoyed her large bottle of San Pellegrino so much when dining at the Flare restaurant in the Hilton that she ordered another...

950C757A-7AB4-4FB2-99D9-7D6C15936D5C.png

It was off to the Plaza after that.

It's like mrs Esco ordering a 350 baht Magners while I'm sipping 99 baht Tiger pints... bless her. 

As for the bottled water, I too taste the difference and usually get the Chang/Singha bottles now. 

• Like 1

In the Uk tap water, bottled water is complete scam if it’s drinkable from the tap.......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1