Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Always nice to hear an "on the ground" report. I tend to hate that type of rain, But, for a break from the heat, not all that bad.

It was perfect weather for when I used to do half marathons but that was so long ago it is irrelevant. Walking in the mornings here offsets the homebrew wine I drink when I get back home!!

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It was perfect weather for when I used to do half marathons but that was so long ago it is irrelevant. Walking in the mornings here offsets the homebrew wine I drink when I get back home!!

Perfect weather for a jungle walk with friends this morning.

NOSH21O View2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yes... same for me here in the sweltering North Carolina summer heat. Except following my daily sweat drenching walks I crack open the latest test case of a newly discovered IPA, upon return to the home fort  If I drank wine I'd be on the floor within twenty minutes. 

Sad thing is, even with the walks I am still putting on some flab. I suppose the covid boredom and inactivity is catching up with me. Although my fingers are sure getting worked out well. Fucking carpel tunnel is even settling in. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Sad thing is, even with the walks I am still putting on some flab.

The strange thing is, that although I am 30kg "overweight", I really enjoy my walking and most of the time I carry about 10 Kg on my back for the last couple of hours. My legs love it, my heart loves it but when I get back the wine loves it too!!

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

The strange thing is, that although I am 30kg "overweight", I really enjoy my walking and most of the time I carry about 10 Kg on my back for the last couple of hours. My legs love it, my heart loves it but when I get back the wine loves it too!!

I think the big difference for me is as you mentioned. When I am over there I am almost always carrying a backpack and often it's loaded with stuff.  Another factor is I will often do two or more good walks because (over there) there are so many different good routes and always something interesting to see. Where here the walks are sterile and boring as f**k. It's hard to even get motivated for one of them. Over there I look forward to every one of them, and they often turn into a new adventure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Nice ! Watch out for the ticks. See any snakes ?

Strangely enough, never had a problem with ticks in all the years of walking around jungles here. And only one time did I come through some thick, wet jungle ferns to find a couple of leeches hitching a ride (reminds me of a hilarious YT video I saw recently which I'll post over in the YT topic). Snakes on the other hand we see occasionally. In fact just a bit farther up the trail in the pic I posted we came across one. Not a big deal since as soon as they sense our presence they slither off.

If anyone is interested in a walk on the wild side, we're setting new jungle trail every couple of weeks. Details of the location and more information on the trails can be found at this link. You may have to do a page refresh a couple of times to get the page to load properly as Google has screwed up something on the backend.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Strangely enough, never had a problem with ticks in all the years of walking around jungles here. And only one time did I come through some thick, wet jungle ferns to find a couple of leeches hitching a ride (reminds me of a hilarious YT video I saw recently which I'll post over in the YT topic). Snakes on the other hand we see occasionally. In fact just a bit farther up the trail in the pic I posted we came across one. Not a big deal since as soon as they sense our presence they slither off.

If anyone is interested in a walk on the wild side, we're setting new jungle trail every couple of weeks. Details of the location and more information on the trails can be found at this link. You may have to do a page refresh a couple of times to get the page to load properly as Google has screwed up something on the backend.

Nice one. Cheers !    👍

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Things are looking very bad here now. The floods are about 2 feet deep. One more foot and it'll be in my house. It is still bucketing down and the storm trench from Khao Talo area is pouring in non stop...

The water is now in my house which means my friends houses will be 2 to 3 feet  underwater already.... and still it comes pouring in along the storm trench in torrents.

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Never seen it rain this hard for this long since i have lived  here

September, 2015. Only reason I remember that time period is because it was when I first started photographing the shrinking Pattaya reservoirs.

Mabprachan on 8 September, 2015
post-19691-0-65480800-1442819094.jpg

Same view on 21 September after a tropical storm that lasted several days moved through the area.
post-19691-0-71757000-1442819097.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

The water is now in my house which means my friends houses will be 2 to 3 feet  underwater already.... and still it comes pouring in along the storm trench in torrents.

Fight or flight decision now. I've switched everything off now  except the WiFi which is going off soon. Do I grab my bug out bag? f**k knows..!!

12 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Fight or flight decision now. I've switched everything off now  except the WiFi which is going off soon. Do I grab my bug out bag? f**k knows..!!

Well the rain has almost stopped...

23 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Very sorry to hear of your situation mate. Hopefully you rent and not own, and whichever it is that there is insurance in place.

I wish you all the best and that you do not lose to much gear.....

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Bad luck, if you've got any plywood or chipboard furniture that the water's got at then it will have absorbed it and will soon be stuffed. Get a couple of Thais to help you sort out the mess when the water recedes. Flood water usually leaves a lot of mud and other crap behind, we're not used to dealing with this stuff but the Thais do it regularly. Sit back with a cold beer and let the locals handle it.