Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

18 hours ago, Painter said:

Yup.

Fortunately not flooded, as far as I know. 

received_561772064974042.jpeg

I wonder how many underground carparks were flooded, though.

Great pic, TFP. My car is always parked in the underground car park and i'm not aware of any drains capable of taking away any substantial rainfull so what they are doing is absolutely necessary. 

12 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Originally there was an entrance ramp to the underground parking lot where that grey angled wall is now. It was modified after the floods a few years back. Then i think it was completely blocked off ( not sure but you can confirm next time you pass ) which left just the one access ramp at the front of the building. I was told at the time, by a Swiss mate of mine who lived there and had a near new Honda Jazz which was completely submerged, that the building insurance company refused to pay out as on the building plans there was only one entrance ramp at the front of the building. So who ever decided to put a 2nd one at the side made a huge error.....

They've installed a retractable barrier at the entrance to the garage. Hopefully that was enough, and high enough to keep the flood waters at bay.
P8300008.jpg

For comparison, photos of the soi before and after the flooding.
P8270015.jpg

Note the shinny new, enlarged drains that did fck all to reduce the flooding.
P8300006.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Had a good long extended downpour during the wee hours of the morning. @Derek Dangleberries hope you came through the storm high and dry.

It was flooded on the road this morning but that was mainly because one of the culvert concrete pipes had disintegrated and another pushed out of line last Friday 

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

Same Same - Same Same

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-scrambles-to-repair-storm-wrecked-beach-369707

Pattaya-News-5-Aug-28-03-Pattaya-fixes-e
City workers have been scrambled to repair the catastrophic damage to Pattaya Beach from this week’s flooding disaster.

City workers scrambled to repair the catastrophic damage to Pattaya Beach from this week’s flooding disaster.

City officials estimated more than 10,000 cubic meters of sand were washed out to sea as torrential rain overnight Thursday into Friday sent tidal waves of runoff pouring down from the east, across Beach Road and gouging out huge tracts from the shoreline.

Bulldozers and backhoes were out Aug. 28, dredging sand from the waterline, refilling canals and smoothing over the sand.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome said it would take days to complete the work.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Same Same - Same Same

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-scrambles-to-repair-storm-wrecked-beach-369707

Pattaya-News-5-Aug-28-03-Pattaya-fixes-e
City workers have been scrambled to repair the catastrophic damage to Pattaya Beach from this week’s flooding disaster.

City workers scrambled to repair the catastrophic damage to Pattaya Beach from this week’s flooding disaster.

City officials estimated more than 10,000 cubic meters of sand were washed out to sea as torrential rain overnight Thursday into Friday sent tidal waves of runoff pouring down from the east, across Beach Road and gouging out huge tracts from the shoreline.

Bulldozers and backhoes were out Aug. 28, dredging sand from the waterline, refilling canals and smoothing over the sand.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome said it would take days to complete the work.

Cost of repairs: 78 million Baht

Mayor's cut:  15%

The mayor was quoted as saying, "Lovely jubbly, more power to the monsoon!"

• Haha 3

More heavy rain around 5:00 AM, with thunder and lightning. A small but intense storm tracked down the coast from north to south, the GF's granny's gaff in Laem Chabang was flooded again, she's helping clean it up now. My rain gauge/bucket had another 2 inches of water in it when I checked this morning.

Storm 7-9-21.jpg

• Like 2

It was a brutal night in Pattaya last night. TMD reported 194 MM of rain over night. Torrential rain came in waves and woke me up several times here on Khao Noi east Pattaya Dark Side. Waiting for the Beach report as it probably got pounded badly. More heavy rain is expected in next 24 hrs.

25 minutes ago, Happy Man said:

It was a brutal night in Pattaya last night. TMD reported 194 MM of rain over night. Torrential rain came in waves and woke me up several times here on Khao Noi east Pattaya Dark Side. Waiting for the Beach report as it probably got pounded badly. More heavy rain is expected in next 24 hrs.

it was a frickin disater as most were asleep.  homes and businesses but vehicles too as many had parked in low areas and werent aware of the storms.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

We were supposed to have a meeting at Nicky's late this afternoon, but just got the word they're flooded out and won't open for the day.

@Derek Dangleberries, how you doing? Another sleepless night of bailing water out of your house?

It was very bad last night. Just started to "relax" ...

I was very sleepy last night after my second jab, with a few aches. Everything was dark in my room apart from a nightlight and I heard people shouting my name accompanied by revving engines. I swear this is the truth.I woke up thinking I was in 80's NI with "pigs" warming up but then I realised that my flack jacket was my vest!

4am and the water was high but I had plenty of time to prepare. I just let the water flood in, no problem. Then my thumb was bitten by one of those big millipedes, then the fucking cat got scared and knocked my bug out bag, my medicine and f**k knows what else into the foot of water in my room!

But, as always, I survive. I always do. And I do it by myself. I dread the day when I become reliant on somebody else.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I had the usual bucket/rain gauge out in the garden from lunchtime on Tuesday and by Wednesday morning it was full to oveflowing. We had at least 28 cm or 11 inches of rain in my area.

IMG20210908092351.jpg

That's the most I've ever seen in one day. The previous highest was 9 inches, almost exactly 10 years ago, in September 2011.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Surprised 2

On 9/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Toy Boy said:

I had the usual bucket/rain gauge out in the garden from lunchtime on Tuesday and by Wednesday morning it was full to oveflowing. We had at least 28 cm or 11 inches of rain in my area.

I have always said the weather patterns are changing in Thailand but many just say everything is the same every year.

I have lived "in the village" for 16 years before returning here 10 years ago. I can remember not being able to completely harvest and store my rice in time for the Surin Elephant Festival in  November because everyone was busy doing the same. In November !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have always said the weather patterns are changing in Thailand

I believe that could be said for most everywhere in the world.

In my youth , in the UK, you could guarantee that you would have laying snow for at least 2 months every year, i and all my mates would have the sledges out and be sliding down the local hill all day. Nowadays you would be hard pressed to even find where to buy a sledge in the UK  !!

The times they are a changing..........

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

I believe that could be said for most everywhere in the world.

In my youth , in the UK, you could guarantee that you would have laying snow for at least 2 months every year, i and all my mates would have the sledges out and be sliding down the local hill all day. Nowadays you would be hard pressed to even find where to buy a sledge in the UK  !!

The times they are a changing..........

Shit yeh!

Remember the winter of 63 ??? Wasn't there a bad one 79ish too ???

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

IMG20210908092351.jpg

That's the most I've ever seen in one day. The previous highest was 9 inches, almost exactly 10 years ago, in September 2011.

Time to buy a bigger bucket. :default_cool: This big guy was filled multiple times over the last two weeks.

P9090001.jpg

Of course cheating a bit by filling it from the roof gutter.
P9090004.jpg

• Like 1