Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

5 hours ago, john luke said:

"What is the difference between isolated and scattered thunderstorms when they appear in an area forecast?" - Neil R.

Scott:

"That's one of more frequent questions I get from pilots reading the area forecast (FA) and other NWS forecast discussions.

To better describe the overall threat, forecasters add a qualifying term to the forecast. That includes scattered (SCT) or isolated (ISOL). From a flight perspective, which are worse, scattered thunderstorms or isolated thunderstorms?

Scattered-vs-Isolated2.jpg

If a forecaster mentions scattered thunderstorms, this implies that 30, 40, or 50 percent of the area for which the forecast is valid is expected to experience measurable precipitation (0.01 inch or more) from thunderstorms during the valid time. Isolated, on the other hand, still implies a chance of thunderstorms, but less than 30 percent of the forecast area will receive measurable precipitation from thunderstorms.

Let's look at an example from the Chicago area forecast. The forecaster at the Aviation Weather Center is predicting that the northern two-thirds of Indiana will experience scattered thunderstorms. This means that 30 to 50 percent of this area will likely experience measurable precipitation from thunderstorms.

On the other hand, in the southern third of Indiana, the forecaster is predicting isolated thunderstorms. This implies that the thunderstorms in southern Indiana will be less numerous so that less than 30 percent of the area will experience measurable precipitation from thunderstorms."

Courtesy of: http://iflyamerica.org/safety_difference_between_isolated_scattered_thunderstorms.asp

That is a very comprehensive answer to my question but the reality is that weather forecasting is about as accurate as squeezing seaweed.

For example, have ther been any Thunderstorms in Pattaya today of any description? There certainly was none this morning and it has been dry in Bangsaray all afternoon.

1 minute ago, Jambo said:

That is a very comprehensive answer to my question but the reality is that weather forecasting is about as accurate as squeezing seaweed.

For example, have ther been any Thunderstorms in Pattaya today of any description? There certainly was none this morning and it has been dry in Bangsaray all afternoon.

Actually I asked myself the very same question when I looked at the weather forecast last night and actually looked at the site that I had linked above.  Light rain so far in Pattaya today.  I have not seen or heard any thunder and lightenting. That said it will probably pour down when we go out for dinner. lol. 

My father used to quote someone, I know not whom who said if one assumes that the weather today will not be much different to the weather yesterday, you will be right more than you will be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, john luke said:

Actually I asked myself the very same question when I looked at the weather forecast last night and actually looked at the site that I had linked above.  Light rain so far in Pattaya today.  I have not seen or heard any thunder and lightenting. That said it will probably pour down when we go out for dinner. lol. 

My father used to quote someone, I know not whom who said if one assumes that the weather today will not be much different to the weather yesterday, you will be right more than you will be wrong.

I was watching F1 one Sunday which was  so boring the commentators were getting enthusiastic about the fact rain was forecast and they might have to change tyres. Always a chance a wheel might fall off I suppose.

Anyway there they all were looking at their monitors which were fixed on the radar showing the weather and making judgements upon what they could see. One of the technicians suddenly turned round and stuck his hand out over the pit wall, palm upwards. No, not raining, put the wets on hold! 😛 

• Haha 1

This is f**king up my program. I am leaving tomorrow from Patts to spend 3 days in Bangkok. Going out to Wat Bang Phra on Saturday so the temporary wife can get another sak yant tattoo and then we were going to have a night out at the Country Road bar on Cowboy . Really was hoping not to have to do all this in the rain. But forecasts (for what they are worth) are calling for rain all weekend. mai bpen rai - going to put on my big boy pants and deal with it. 

I went to Immigration today on the motorbike to do my 90 days.

It had just started to rain as I arrived.

Five minutes to complete the 90 days then over an hour sitting in the cafe drinking coffee whilst it absolutely pissed down.

Decided I had enough and put my passport, wallet etc etc under the motorbike seat. Put on my waterproof jacket which is totally useless.

Rode back to Bangsaray in torential rain the whole way down the Sukhumvit Road expecting to die somewhere on route.

Got to a mile or so from Bangsaray and it stopped raining.

All my clothes went into the washing machine and I had my first hot shower in living memory.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, john luke said:

Torrential rain, high winds and thunder in the Naklua Road Area.  Looks as though it extends as far as the coastline.

Yep, fucken pissing it down here on the darkside..... had to move me TV inside !!

And as I type this it stopped and the sun is shining.................

4 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Yep, fucken pissing it down here on the darkside..... had to move me TV inside !!

And as I type this it stopped and the sun is shining.................

Strangely enough it has just got heavier has the rain here.