TransferWise - Wise (Threads Merged)

Stillearly

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I sent some yesterday at just shy of 40 to edge my bets too. Looks good to stay above 40 now for a while.

Funds arrived before my laptop had shut down. That was on a Thursday. 

Yep time for another top up. Pound cost averaging in play with the current rise.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think TW have corrected that anomaly whereby the rate for less than £800 (think someone sent £700 here) was more than £1000

Just playing around with website this morning and seems to have been corrected

Screenshot_2019-12-21 Transfer Money Online — Send Money Abroad with TransferWise.png

Edited by RR007
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Wifey send some money today, 39.642. Arrived in 8 seconds. As Paul Daniels would have said "That's Magic"

The sevice has got quicker and quicker, even back in December my money was arriving before I could shut down the laptop. I guess their business must have slowed down some what now, so an instant transaction is of no surprise to me. Also 39.6 is a decent rate considering how low the pound dropped this past few weeks.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I've gone and ordered the TW card. 

It's quite handy because its given me a local bank account in NL, the US, UK, and even Oz so I can receive money oin those local currencies if I want to.

My mate from the UK who rents my flat can now just pay me in pounds using the spot rate thus avoiding FX fees.

The debit card can also be used in those countries as local ATM card again avoiding certain fees, at least up to a couple 100 quid. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Esco said:

It's quite handy because its given me a local bank account in NL, the US, UK, and even Oz so I can receive money oin those local currencies if I want to.

My mate from the UK who rents my flat can now just pay me in pounds using the spot rate thus avoiding FX fees.

The debit card can also be used in those countries as local ATM card again avoiding certain fees, at least up to a couple 100 quid. 

Ordered mine in February plopped through the letter box about 3 days later !!! :default_drinks: Efficient them Estonians .......

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Esco said:

Is the card of any benefit to expats living in Thailand ? I already have a UK bank account with HSBC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Is the card of any benefit to expats living in Thailand ? I already have a UK bank account with HSBC.

One benefit is that if you put money on the card in the UK your transfer fees to Thailand go down. 

• Great Info 2

25 minutes ago, Esco said:

One benefit is that if you put money on the card in the UK your transfer fees to Thailand go down. 

Now bear with me, if i transfer dosh to a TW card can i then use that dosh to do a Baht transfer to my BB Thai account and as you say get a lower transfer fee ?

NB - TW rate just now was 41.10 😀

Edited by Pumpuynarak

17 minutes ago, Esco said:

Can you expand on this?  I don't have the card, but to move money from my UK bank to Transferwise costs nothing.  Is there a reduction in TW fee to send to Thailand if the source is your TW account?

• Thumbs Up 1

Is anybody thinking of using this like a bank account, so you can keep your money in your TW account and be able to move it into another currency very quickly and cheaply if needed. Trying to do that with a large sum of money with Barclays International can be pretty slow and painful. I'm just thinking ahead about how the currencies are going to play out when the worst of this is over and things are starting to work again. Thailand's economy will be f*cked without tourism, but OTOH they haven't committed immense sums to propping up businesses and individuals so once the dust settles the Baht might strengthen significantly against the USD, GBP and EUR, all of which have committed trillions.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now bear with me, if i transfer dosh to a TW card can i then use that dosh to do a Baht transfer to my BB Thai account and as you say get a lower transfer fee ?

NB - TW rate just now was 41.10 😀

4 hours ago, KWA said:

Can you expand on this?  I don't have the card, but to move money from my UK bank to Transferwise costs nothing.  Is there a reduction in TW fee to send to Thailand if the source is your TW account?

Yes to both. 

For example, I currently hold €500 in my TW account and to transfer from my account to Thailand costs ~€5 versus ~€7 if I transfer using my CC card. 

Doesn't make a huge difference but the higher the amount and/or the more you send it adds up of course, and indeed the local to local transaction in the Netherlands or in your case the UK costs nothing. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Is anybody thinking of using this like a bank account, so you can keep your money in your TW account and be able to move it into another currency very quickly and cheaply if needed. Trying to do that with a large sum of money with Barclays International can be pretty slow and painful. I'm just thinking ahead about how the currencies are going to play out when the worst of this is over and things are starting to work again. Thailand's economy will be f*cked without tourism, but OTOH they haven't committed immense sums to propping up businesses and individuals so once the dust settles the Baht might strengthen significantly against the USD, GBP and EUR, all of which have committed trillions.

Its certainly an option and you could even decide to hold in multiple currencies to spread your risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Esco said:

Yes to both. 

For example, I currently hold €500 in my TW account and to transfer from my account to Thailand costs ~€5 versus ~€7 if I transfer using my CC card. 

Doesn't make a huge difference but the higher the amount and/or the more you send it adds up of course, and indeed the local to local transaction in the Netherlands or in your case the UK costs nothing. 

Can also be used as an ATM card I believe .......... plus it's bright Green and glows in the dark as Groggy showed us ....helpful if you're pissed in a dark go go bar.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Can also be used as an ATM card I believe .......... plus it's bright Green and glows in the dark as Groggy showed us ....helpful if you're pissed in a dark go go bar.

Yes it can be used as ATM card and I can withdraw the first £200 in the UK without additional fees. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1