How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Lanzalad

Thai's using the word Falang.

What do you think about being called a falang. ?

i've had it all ways from the village to government workers.

Me and puang would change ownership papers for bikes often many would be in my own name and i'd be sat there waiting my turn and the women behind the counter in Chon buri would call out to me farang, farang and beckoned me over to the counter.

In the village the kids dont know any better and will call me farang but elders will also call me farang, i dont really care but puang pulls them and tells them its not polite to do this.

I know its not right but i put it down to miss education

Interesting topic...

I don't mind being called farang by thai's I don't know, as that's what I am, a handsome farang.

If I know a Thai and they call me farang, I tell them 'no good', it's plain ignorant. If you know my name then use it.

I think it's in what context.

I don't think it's an out and out derogatory word per say, but like many other words, could be used as such in whatever context.

• Thumbs Up 2

It came about from the original Farangset ... meaning French man.

Remember Thailand has never ever been conquered in its entire history. .......... ahem ................... well that is what is taught in schools.

OK Khmers, the most hated of all Burmese, French, British and Japanese passed through ahem ...........

It literally means almost nothing to a  Thai in 2018 ............. falang ...very very rarely an insult these days.

Your Puang is being adorable to you and must really genuinely love you, wants to balance Thai / English cultures and clearly knows the real score ........ ❤️ 

It is mostly affectionate these days.  Honestly mate ....... I've heard my sons called falang leuk kreung and they are fluent native born Thai. 

Yim maaak ...... smile 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I think it's in what context.

I don't think it's an out and out derogatory word per say, but like many other words, could be used as such in whatever context.

It is ignorant to use it when they know somebody's name, particularly if the person using it is a friend or partner. I have some friends of a foreign background, I would never dream of calling them immigrant or foreigner. Now if they don't know the person it's a totally different matter.

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

It is ignorant to use it when they know somebody's name, particularly if the person using it is a friend or partner. I have some friends of a foreign background, I would never dream of calling them immigrant or foreigner. Now if they don't know the person it's a totally different matter.

Agreed.

If any of the wife's family used it to address me, then i'd put them right. Though that's never happened.

But in general conversation, say about some Frenchie down the market trying to chat up ladies 40 years younger, and they say it was a farnag, I don't see that as derogatory.

Not that I know any frenchies who go about trying to chat up ladies 40 years younger than him or anything :)

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Agreed.

If any of the wife's family used it to address me, then i'd put them right. Though that's never happened.

But in general conversation, say about some Frenchie down the market trying to chat up ladies 40 years younger, and they say it was a farnag, I don't see that as derogatory.

Not that I know any frenchies who go about trying to chat up ladies 40 years younger than him or anything :)

Agreed.

It's often just used as a descriptor, no problems with that whatsoever.

Just now, Krapow said:

Also @Lanzalad I feel this is another dig dig dig at Board member @farangme

Really no need for it >:(

I'll do what mango did when he was a mod and i'll give my self a warning... lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Lanzalad said:

I'll do what mango did when he was a mod and i'll give my self a warning... lol

I think you're on the tins! xD

9 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Honestly disagree with respect ......... I used to think like that and hated it for years. As my Thai has gotten pretty good Falang in Thai put simply does not mean to them immigrant or foreigner. I can clearly see how you think that but trust me it is 90% not meant the way we think in the West. But sometimes it can be .......... 

A great response is phen falang chai ........ try it .............................. mind blowing first few times you do it.

Just now, Krapow said:

I think you're on the tins! xD

That is what he did mate.. he give him self a warning on live before jacked in Alex said you should have a warning for something... 

So he give him self a warning then packed in .. it was funny as.. 

3 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Honestly disagree with respect ......... I used to think like that and hated it for years. As my Thai has gotten pretty good Falang in Thai put simply does not mean to them immigrant or foreigner. I can clearly see how you think that but trust me it is 90% not meant the way we think in the West. But sometimes it can be .......... 

A great response is phen falang chai ........ try it .............................. mind blowing first few times you do it.

I believe it's rude to not refer to someone by their name if you know what it is. Failing that things like 'mate' or 'darling'. The Thais have similar words but they don't use them when referring to foreigners. Yes farang may not literally interpret as 'foreigner' but that's what it means. A white skin non-thai person.

Mango could barely speak English let alone Thai or Italian ............ New Jersey Guinea ........ sorry racist insult. Guinea ...... is enough.

Anyone ever seen Richard Pryors a black waiter meets the Mafia in New Jersey sketch??? ...

I loved Raymond so very very much we used to burst a rib doing this together. One of my favourite people ever in Thailand was Ray.

If you haven't seen it will post a link for me in the top 10 comedy sketches of all time. 

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I believe it's rude to not refer to someone by their name if you know what it is. Failing that things like 'mate' or 'darling'. The Thais have similar words but they don't use them when referring to foreigners. Yes farang may not literally interpret as 'foreigner' but that's what it means. A white skin non-thai person.

You seem a  great guy and post really well and clearly take no shit.

Western concepts of manners and rudeness are not the same.

Thais 1,000,000 do not think saying falang is rude. Thai culture comes from Confucian Chinese thinking where rudeness is almost unheard of.

I don't ask you for one second  to believe me but as I always post just think about it ............. and it is lovely and calm over here ..... thank you Lanza.☘️

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, nampla69 said:

You seem a  great guy and post really well and clearly take no shit.

Western concepts of manners and rudeness are not the same.

Thais 1,000,000 do not think saying falang is rude. Thai culture comes from Confucian Chinese thinking where rudeness is almost unheard of.

I don't ask you for one second  to believe me but as I always post just think about it ............. and it is lovely and calm over here ..... thank you Lanza.☘️

You have more experience of thailand and Thai people than me mate. It's probably my cultural expectations more than anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

You have more experience of thailand and Thai people than me mate. It's probably my cultural expectations more than anything. 

Come down to London and get fucked up in Soho with whoever turns up ......... some great gaffes ...... 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, nampla69 said:

Come down to London and get fucked up in Soho with whoever turns up ......... some great gaffes ...... 

If it's the 13th of Oct then I'm there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Epic ...... take you all over mate Brazilian  strippers pubs in East London  after we put the pensioners and Spurs fans (Nadia) to bed.

Al Mac is good for a  rampage as are a fair few others Thinking etc .

Nightcrawler I will deposit in the Admiral Duncan when the karaoke comes on and Liverpool Lil comes out ...he loves all that game ..... 

• Haha 1

Doesn't bother me at all.. No insult as far as I can see.

As Namps has said my two lads get called "Luk falang" sometimes they just laugh it off being lukkreung they get loads of attention anyway in LOS.

1 minute ago, roomark said:

Doesn't bother me at all.. No insult as far as I can see.

As Namps has said my two lads get called "Luk falang" sometimes they just laugh it off being lukkreung they get loads of attention anyway in LOS.

Respect mate ☘️ ........ says it all.

• Thanks 1

I didn't mind it up in sticks of Sida this summer. Probably because they always say the word "laaw" in combination with falang when addressing me. 😀 I guess that's OK, unless they are using laaw as some kind of Issan Lao code for khwaai. (doubt it -I think? 555) 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

I didn't mind it up in sticks of Sida this summer. Probably because they always say the word "laaw" in combination with falang when addressing me. 😀 I guess that's OK, unless they are using laaw as some kind of Issan Lao code for khwaai. (doubt it -I think? 555) 

Think they were speaking pigeon English mate not Thai ..

Must have thought you are a copper 

Farang work law 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, roomark said:

Think they were speaking pigeon English mate not Thai ..

Must have thought you are a copper 

Farang work law 🤣🤣

Probably right. I do have a bit of a law enforcement look. :) 

• Haha 1