Thai Vloggers

Aqualung

19 minutes ago, Gin Kii said:

Why was he waiting till he turned 60 to get health insurance ?

Sounds extremely dumb to me.

Please explain your reference to health insurance.

It was my understanding that he had NO insurance - hence the GoFundMe page.

3 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Please explain your reference to health insurance.

It was my understanding that he had NO insurance - hence the GoFundMe page.

It was posted in this thread he waiting till he turned 60 before getting insurance.

EDIT: yeah what Tommy posted !!

Edited by Gin Kii

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

he had announced before that he had no insruance, but has just sold his gaf in spain.   he calimed he had planned to get insurance at 60, for some unknown reasoning, but was sick by 59

Yes remember seeing that 

I'm sure was also said when he first got ill and set up the funding page that he couldn't get treatment in the UK because he had been out of the country too long ...  I didn't think that was true as I had seen another return from Thailand and get the treatment they required 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Yes remember seeing that 

I'm sure was also said when he first got ill and set up the funding page that he couldn't get treatment in the UK because he had been out of the country too long ...  I didn't think that was true as I had seen another return from Thailand and get the treatment they required 

Feel very sorry him, but listened to one of his vlogs where he put forward specious reasoning as to why he had to seek treatment in Thailand and could not go to the UK.

Even his supporters in the comments section whilst wishing him all the best, where politely telling him he was wrong.

That said hope he pulls through

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Yes remember seeing that 

Yes, as much as the NHS should not be used by anyone who is not ordinarily resident in the UK (i.e OPD or elective surgery etc without insurance) it does offer the ability to use it's services for UK nationals who are in need of emergency treatment.

Many people no longer have a doctor in the UK and can not prove their ability to avail of free NHS medical care. However if returning to the UK for emergency medical treatment you will be dealt with.

I also think somebody said he should have returned to the UK a long time back when he first had this issue, time is essential when dealing with his medical condition.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it’s a bit tough if someone has paid into the system say for 30 years to be then refused treatment is shocking up against someone whose just landed and gets the full monty and not paid in a penny. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

I think it’s a bit tough if someone has paid into the system say for 30 years to be then refused treatment is shocking up against someone whose just landed and gets the full monty and not paid in a penny. 

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

I wouldn't think anybody is getting refused treatment for cancer if they have paid into the system. I would also think that many of these guys who return may have paid into the system for a very long time.

I returned to full time work in July 2018 after living in Thailand for 15 years but I continued to pay my stamp while there, in fact I have paid in to the system for over 34 years. 

I would also think that if you have paid into the system and are refused treatment then that treatment may not be included in what the NHS offers and would also not be available to a returning UK national. I am not aware of the particular treatment you are relating your post too. 

Think though the definition of what is a UK national may be at issue here if they have never lived in the UK. I would think the gentleman in question has lived in the UK and paid some contributions.

Just a view.

• Thumbs Up 1

The chap I know , was in Thailand for about 15 years as a meet and greeter in a number of bars in Phuket ( rent a liver ... )  , went when he was around 40;, came back to the UK with Chirrosis and got a liver transplant  on the NHS within around six months of being back ... he's doing ok and still in the UK three years later 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

The chap I know , was in Thailand for about 15 years as a meet and greeter in a number of bars in Phuket ( rent a liver ... )  , went when he was around 40;, came back to the UK with Chirrosis and got a liver transplant  on the NHS within around six months of being back ... he's doing ok and still in the UK three years later 

No offence mate, but people like that should be pushed to the back of the queue, same as immigrants. 

Give priority to us UK taxpayers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

No offence mate, but people like that should be pushed to the back of the queue, same as immigrants. 

Give priority to us UK taxpayers 

He was a tax payer for twenty odd years ... but obviously not whilst in Thailand ... just posting to show that Kev would have been given treatment if he had gone home immediately, rather than setting up the funding pages 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitlements-migrant-health-guide

What are the requirements  to be classed as returning “on a settled basis”? 
It’s a bit vague on the Gov Webb site. 

Its purely and simply intending to take up residence back in the UK, ya gotta have somewhere to live and then just do the formalities like registering with a doctor, local authority for community charge etc. Your doctor will NOT deny you treatment as a British citizen with an NI number returning to live in the UK.

What you do after any treatment is completed is up to you ????     

Thanks Pumpuynarak, 👍

That is why I was surprised that Kev didn’t go that route. I suppose he had his reasons for staying in Thailand and try to raise the money for treatment there, rather than return to the UK and avail himself of what the NHS could offer him. 
Either way, I wish him well. 🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, KhunDon said:

That is why I was surprised that Kev didn’t go that route. I suppose he had his reasons for staying in Thailand and try to raise the money for treatment there, rather than return to the UK and avail himself of what the NHS could offer him.

Maybe just believing the poor advice given from some quarters.  He also mentioned housing rent costs as an issue, but selling some assets could have addressed that.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Did he actually say anything?

I skimmed the vlog, but found it a little dull and kept skipping.

Just a couple of things to people in the video , I don't normally watch the anonymous ones , but there was footage of Bukhao and LK ... I won't be following this one 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Just a couple of things to people in the video , I don't normally watch the anonymous ones , but there was footage of Bukhao and LK ... I won't be following this one 

Find some of the vlogs entertaining but definitely not this one😀

At one point he was asking a driver out of curiosity if a van was headed to Hua Hin. He  then gets on the van, pans his camera around the van showing the people on it, but chooses to remain anonymous himself?

No expert on this genre but find it really creepy way of carrying on.

Last time I was on Cowboy a couple of years back now, seemed to have turned in voyeur central. Sat outside Country Road having a happy hour beer Lao, was a steady stream of people walking up and down the Soi filming on their phone.

Sad to see so many people with nothing better to do than live their lives vicariously. Too mean also to even stop, have a beer and support the bars.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

FB_IMG_1617439636848.jpg

Just appeared on my fakebook.

many vloggers will be live streaming. Presumably of other vloggers all vlogging.

At least they've advertised the fact and not doing it on the sly.

I wonder how many people won't go because of it, though?

• Surprised 1