• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thinkingallowed

Air miles / FF points

Yes.  

I currently have Platinum Status with KLM Air France.  That said it gives me a percentage increase in air miles per trip. Other than that it does not give me anything else that I do not get with a business class flight.  My last two trips were made on Emirates and that has now taken me up to Silver Status with them.  Same question is does it offer me anything that I do not get as a Business Class Passenger.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes with Oman although am somewhat pissed off with them currently however you can spend the airmiles on their website and collect the gear whilst in transit on return sectors

One complete return trip will get you 4 Cartons of Rothmans currently as long as you got silver which gives a boost to sindbad miles. Good as cash as soon as you're through customs. Sold all 4 for £140 the day I was home. Makes it worthwhile as long as you get through customs

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, john luke said:

Yes.  

I currently have Platinum Status with KLM Air France.  That said it gives me a percentage increase in air miles per trip. Other than that it does not give me anything else that I do not get with a business class flight.  My last two trips were made on Emirates and that has now taken me up to Silver Status with them.  Same question is does it offer me anything that I do not get as a Business Class Passenger.

What do you use your miles on?

I got stuck with 70000 KLM  points at one point and ended up selling them for more than the price of an economy ticket to Bangkok. To get an award ticket you needed 80000 at the time so I looked at buying 10000 but the cost plus taxes were more than buying a ticket. Some American company gave me £400+ for them. It was quite a trusting deal as they left them in my account until they used them, several months, but paid out straight away.

I used to be gold with Oman, and used my miles to upgrade various journeys, but boy, wasn't that a palava! 

Now got something with Emirates,  but no idea what level, or how many miles are on it. Really ought to check, I suppose....

I collect Avios points on BA , got about 150,000 and already received  a companion voucher to use in the next year ... hopefully now I have more flexibility around my travel dates I might get to use some of them , I am back to Blue status .. was close to getting Silver a couple of years ago ..

i join all the frequent flyer clubs  for whatever airlines I travel with , Thai was good had some free domestic flights with them , but haven't flown with them for a long time now 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Great Info 1

7 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

What do you use your miles on?

I got stuck with 70000 KLM  points at one point and ended up selling them for more than the price of an economy ticket to Bangkok. To get an award ticket you needed 80000 at the time so I looked at buying 10000 but the cost plus taxes were more than buying a ticket. Some American company gave me £400+ for them. It was quite a trusting deal as they left them in my account until they used them, several months, but paid out straight away.

In the past I have had one business class return from Leeds to Bangkok; I had to pay the tax of around £400, I think.  Prior to that I used to book economy and used points to upgrade from economy to business on some legs.

Recently with Emirates I have used points on an ongoing basis to knock around £100 off a business class return fare from Manchester to Bangkok.

• Great Info 1

Upgraded Emirates flights to and from Sydney, Australia (Economy to Business) just last week.  Did the same to Auckland, New Zealand for the British Lions in 2017.

• Like 1

Yes. I've been BA Gold / One World Emerald (BA Gold is equivalent to Diamond/Platinum for other airlines) for a few years now. Also use the BA Black Amex that gets me a free companion flight each year. The money I've saved, perks and upgrades I've got have literally been worth Tens of Thousands of £. If you play it right, using other One World carriers to accrue Tier Points, it is ridiculously easy to reach Gold, I cannot believe BA still allow it tbh.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

Yes. I've been BA Gold / One World Emerald (BA Gold is equivalent to Diamond/Platinum for other airlines) for a few years now. Also use the BA Black Amex that gets me a free companion flight each year. The money I've saved, perks and upgrades I've got have literally been worth Tens of Thousands of £. If you play it right, using other One World carriers to accrue Tier Points, it is ridiculously easy to reach Gold, I cannot believe BA still allow it tbh.

Yes a round trip on Qatar to BKK leaves you just 40 tier points off silver BAEC.

Just wish we could churn cards like the Americans though.

I use most of my Qatar miles to buy duty free in the airport. Each trip I get a bottle of top shelf spirits, 200 cigarettes and a load of sweets for the kids. Still got a load of miles left over, no plans for buying any flights this year so will see what else I can buy with them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Gold with Thai for the past 8 years or so. Its Star Alliance so great for upgrades Air Canada upgraded me twice already.

Thai let you book Business cheaply even been upgraded to First twice.

Getting tighter not had a free upgrade for a while .......... 

22 hours ago, RR007 said:

Yes with Oman although am somewhat pissed off with them currently however you can spend the airmiles on their website and collect the gear whilst in transit on return sectors

One complete return trip will get you 4 Cartons of Rothmans currently as long as you got silver which gives a boost to sindbad miles. Good as cash as soon as you're through customs. Sold all 4 for £140 the day I was home. Makes it worthwhile as long as you get through customs

I fly Oman in economy UK to BKK twice a year. 25,000 tier miles keeps me Silver. Economy only earns me approx 3,000 air miles total though and you cannot use air miles to reduce the fare. I wasn't aware you could use them for shopping. 

17 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Gold with Thai for the past 8 years or so. Its Star Alliance so great for upgrades Air Canada upgraded me twice already.

Thai let you book Business cheaply even been upgraded to First twice.

Getting tighter not had a free upgrade for a while .......... 

My condolences;  I always had you as a platinum man.😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob lt said:

I fly Oman in economy UK to BKK twice a year. 25,000 tier miles keeps me Silver. Economy only earns me approx 3,000 air miles total though and you cannot use air miles to reduce the fare. I wasn't aware you could use them for shopping. 

Thats changed now anyway. Its 20,000 to revaildate Silver albeit two return trips is over 25,000 anyway by about 200 miles on their routing so doesnt matter

You get tier miles (actual mileage flown) and then the Sindbad miles at a reduced rate which you can spend in the online shop. If you're silver you'll get 4,032 Sindbad miles for 1 complete return trip for use in Duty free /online shopping or save for upgrades etc

If you're blue card its less and Gold its more sindbad miles

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bob lt said:

I wasn't aware you could use them for shopping. 

Be interesting to know how much they value a mile at when shopping.  Emirates used to have "The Emirates High Street" that was shocking.

38 minutes ago, KWA said:

Be interesting to know how much they value a mile at when shopping.  Emirates used to have "The Emirates High Street" that was shocking.

You can view the value of the miles here. It DOES vary literally week by week. Sometime Cigs can be cheap other times they double.

The 800 Rothmans I had have gone up 400 odd miles from when I had ordered in February

http://sindbad.muscatdutyfree.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick arithmetic suggest an upgrade gives more value for money which is what I would have expected.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KWA said:

Quick arithmetic suggest an upgrade gives more value for money which is what I would have expected.

I currently have 20,454 miles, unfortunately LHR to MCT needs 36,000 and MCT to BKK needs 28,000. Close but no cigar.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, bob lt said:

I currently have 20,454 miles, unfortunately LHR to MCT needs 36,000 and MCT to BKK needs 28,000. Close but no cigar.

Get an Amex card with initial spend bonus and you've got yourself an upgrade.

If you'd got one three years ago and spent just over £2,000 per year on it you'd also have enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, Scotty said:

I use most of my Qatar miles to buy duty free in the airport. Each trip I get a bottle of top shelf spirits, 200 cigarettes and a load of sweets for the kids. Still got a load of miles left over, no plans for buying any flights this year so will see what else I can buy with them. 

I have 18250 Qatar airmile that run out soon may june this year, if you want them can i gift them to you?

i will not be able to use them before then so you may as well have them. I thought I could book a hotel with them but you can only earn mile by booking hotels.

Or if anyone else wants them just reply.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

I have 18250 Qatar airmile that run out soon may june this year, if you want them can i gift them to you?

i will not be able to use them before then so you may as well have them. I thought I could book a hotel with them but you can only earn mile by booking hotels.

I tried to sell mine couple years ago after a 1 off trip on Qatar but came up against this

qa.png

7 hours ago, eyes4thais said:

Very kind offer, if it could be done for free with no hassle to yourself then I would be happy to take them, if any hassle or cost then no worries. 

Very kind offer, if it could be done for free with no hassle to yourself then I would be happy to take them, if any hassle or cost then no worries. 
Never done it before but I assume I will need your account/membership number.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, eyes4thais said:

Never done it before but I assume I will need your account/membership number.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

PM sent, thanks 🙏