roomark

Looking for U.K based holiday insurance with moped cover for Thailand

Lads

I'm looking for decent holiday insurance (coming from U.K) with moped cover for my upcoming trip. 

Loads of info on Google, but nothing like asking a bunch of people who are always in LOS.

Thanks in advance

I have a policy with AXA through Lloyds Bank. I have checked and it covers motor vehicles that you are licensed for. I stressed two wheels and he confirmed all motor vehicles.

• Great Info 1

54 minutes ago, bob lt said:

I have a policy with AXA through Lloyds Bank. I have checked and it covers motor vehicles that you are licensed for. I stressed two wheels and he confirmed all motor vehicles.

Cheers Bob 

I'm with Lloyds so may well give them a call makes it all easier AXA are good too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roomark said:

Cheers Bob 

I'm with Lloyds so may well give them a call makes it all easier AXA are good too.

Have you got a full motorbike licence in the UK ? 

• Like 1

Whichever policy you decide on ensure that you are covered for the engine size you will be renting. UK policy standard used to be 125 cc and most mopeds for hire are over that.

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Have you got a full motorbike licence in the UK ? 

Iv got a full car licence and CBT which allows me to drive up to 125cc.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

small issues really but a moped in the UK is 49cc.  here half fo the scooters are around 110 and the rest above 125.

Did my CBT last week Sir 😊

1 minute ago, roomark said:

Did my CBT last week Sir 😊

Ok but you need an IDP to ride the bikes here legally and a CBT to the best of my knowledge won't get you a motorbike stamp on your IDP. Could well be wrong there but I'm sure you need the full pass on bikes ?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

small issues really but a moped in the UK is 49cc.  here half fo the scooters are around 110 and the rest above 125.

Wrong, a few in Thailand are 110cc ( Scoopey, Zoomer, old Cliucks and Airblades, Finos ) the bulk are 125cc now and then the old Nouvos are 135cc and then you can go on to the PCX's Aeroxs and Forzas etc that are 150cc and above.

10 minutes ago, roomark said:

Iv got a full car licence and CBT which allows me to drive up to 125cc.

Only in the UK though, nowhere else. You can only legally ride a 49cc moped. Unless you've a Thai licence you wouldn't be covered or legal on Thai roads.

Edited by farangme
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

7 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Ok but you need an IDP to ride the bikes here legally and a CBT to the best of my knowledge won't get you a motorbike stamp on your IDP. Could well be wrong there but I'm sure you need the full pass on bikes ?

Correct, CBT only good for the UK, not even Ireland or the EU. He needs a Thai licence.

• Surprised 1

1 hour ago, mrcharliemofo said:

The instructor told me I'd be ok and I have all the boxes ticked on my IDP? 

Had my car licence for around 30 years

20190317_135304.jpg

1 hour ago, farangme said:

Correct, CBT only good for the UK, not even Ireland or the EU. He needs a Thai licence.

Which would lead to my next question what do would I need for a Thai licence ?

Although I was gonna come to LOS on 30 day tourist I could come through on O Visa.

Iv ridden in LOS for going on 20 years and never had a problem on an IDP though it's only after I found out that the old British car licences changed (before we could ride 125cc without a test) that I decided to the CBT.

Thanks for all your patience lads 🤣🤣

It seems you are all correct.

What a waste of time that was and I won't pass a bike test in two weeks !

Thanks iv learnt something today

20190317_142244.jpg

• Great Info 2

And is why you see lots of 'go fund me' stuff about farangs in a bike accident in Thailand and Insurance won't pay out.

Used to do it myself, not knowingly though. I had the stamp in the IDP and thought I was covered. Luckily no accidents.

Now I don't ride a bike in Thailand, always book to stay somewhere were I can walk and push the buggy everywhere, would never take my daughter on a bike. Though each to their own. 

Staysure are decent Insurance, paid upfront for me in Thailand, insisted on paying for ambulance, hospital stay etc, all paid by them, not me pay and claim back. Helpful and good service. 

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, roomark said:

The instructor told me I'd be ok and I have all the boxes ticked on my IDP? 

Had my car licence for around 30 years

20190317_135304.jpg

The last time I went for an IDP at a UK Post Office, the clerk checked an A4 size chart to see which groups to stamp. The supervisor noticed I had an old pink paper license and said the chart doesn't correspond to old licenses, stamp all groups. I do have full UK bike license and ride a 1000 cc bike at home, if not I wouldn't risk using a stamped IDP without the full license to back it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, roomark said:

Although I was gonna come to LOS on 30 day tourist I could come through on O Visa.

Iv ridden in LOS for going on 20 years and never had a problem on an IDP though it's only after I found out that the old British car licences changed (before we could ride 125cc without a test) that I decided to the CBT.

Copies of passport, stamps, Residence cert and medical certificate. A copy of your IDP will mean you only have to pass reaction, colour blindness and depth perception tests and watch a video. Without IDP you would have to pass a multiple choice test on computer and take a practical test, ride straight, stop, start and go through a slalom. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Copies of passport, stamps, Residence cert and medical certificate. A copy of your IDP will mean you only have to pass reaction, colour blindness and depth perception tests and watch a video. Without IDP you would have to pass a multiple choice test on computer and take a practical test, ride straight, stop, start and go through a slalom. 

Cheers Bob

1 hour ago, roomark said:

If you passed your car test before 2001 you can ride a 50cc moped without a CBT.

CBT was brought in in 1990,so since then you have needed to do it to ride a 125cc,whether you have a car license or not.It is valid for two years.

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

If you passed your car test before 2001 you can ride a 50cc moped without a CBT.

CBT was brought in in 1990,so since then you have needed to do it to ride a 125cc,whether you have a car license or not.It is valid for two years.

Cheers mate

Yeah I did the CBT last week in the wind and rain came home absolutely freezing 🤣🤣🤣

Hope you're well now pal

Edited by roomark
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I got my IDC last time saying I went to Thailand they wrote "covers mopeds" on it, just to make sure you don't get f***d over by insurance in case of an accident. 

Of course getting a Thai license is the best way but you should be covered. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, roomark said:

You need to be resident to take a test, officially a non O visa. There are other ways but a lot of running around. If you really want one PM me I know someone who can do it. And there's one EU Country if you get a resident visa you can turn your licence into an EU then a UK licence. All from a dodgy Thai one. Sheshhh.

Edited by farangme
  • Thumbs Up 1