Movies to watch

Toy Boy

On NYD, appropriately, I watched this one:

death-to-2020-poster.jpg

It starts off well, with some genuinely funny pieces taking the mick not just of the US but the UK and several other countries too.

Then, as always seems to happen these days, they get obsessed with slagging off Trump and it becomes an unfunny US political doc.

A shame, if they'd kept up the pace of the first 20 or 30 minutes throughout, it might have been a classic.

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

On NYD, appropriately, I watched this one:

death-to-2020-poster.jpg

It starts off well, with some genuinely funny pieces taking the mick not just of the US but the UK and several other countries too.

Then, as always seems to happen these days, they get obsessed with slagging off Trump and it becomes an unfunny US political doc.

A shame, if they'd kept up the pace of the first 20 or 30 minutes throughout, it might have been a classic.

I thought they took quite a balanced approach actually. Sure Trump got some bashing but so did Biden. I gave it the thumbs up on Netflix. 

I watched The Warriors at the weekend, I first saw it about 40 years ago and thought it brilliant then, watching it again I wondered, as usually happens, if it would turn out to be a piece of crap that my young, impressionable mind thought was brilliant but no, it was still as good as I remember, even better as I watched it in HD as opposed to a pirated VHS copy.

Warriors then and now.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, bexwell said:

I watched The Warriors at the weekend, I first saw it about 40 years ago and thought it brilliant then, watching it again I wondered, as usually happens, if it would turn out to be a piece of crap that my young, impressionable mind thought was brilliant but no, it was still as good as I remember, even better as I watched it in HD as opposed to a pirated VHS copy.

Warriors then and now.jpg

Brilliant movie, always loved the soundtrack.

• Like 1

I just watched this one from 2016 and thought it was excellent, how age and pragmatism mellowed two of the most dangerous people in Ireland:

the-journey.jpg

Meaney is brilliant as McGuinness and, if you can forget that Spall is much smaller than Ian Paisley was, then his portrayal of the man is pretty good too. It probably won't mean much to younger (non-Irish) people, but for those of us who lived through the troubles it's quite riveting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4826674/

• Great Info 1

On 1/12/2021 at 8:11 PM, Toy Boy said:

I just watched this one from 2016 and thought it was excellent, how age and pragmatism mellowed two of the most dangerous people in Ireland:

the-journey.jpg

Meaney is brilliant as McGuinness and, if you can forget that Spall is much smaller than Ian Paisley was, then his portrayal of the man is pretty good too. It probably won't mean much to younger (non-Irish) people, but for those of us who lived through the troubles it's quite riveting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4826674/

Had Colm Meaney in my cab for all of 30 seconds, his mate had a longer ride and was a producer from Vancouver. As soon as he entered I thought “ boy he looks familiar”. Struck me as a real gentleman, paid for his friend’s ride in advance. Was in Calgary filming Hell on Wheels I believe 

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Watched ICARUS last night on Netflix.

2 hour true life documentary. Joe Rogan had Bryan (not that one) the director on his recent podcast.

Loved it and has been watched by around 700 million people allegedly.

Drug cheating and doping from Russia with love all signed off by Mr Putin.

Murders, KGB, Olympics and a cast of scoundrels its very good and thanks for Toy Boy and others for the links above appreciated.

10 hours ago, galenkia said:

Coming end of March. 

Looks awesome. 

Just recently I have been wearing good quality headphones when watching films etc on both the TV and my PC. That was a spin/off from the fact I intend to watch footy in bed (starting tonight) on my new tablet to save me getting up in the middle of the night. Need to wear h/phones for that or I will wake up the wife. 😀

I never realised how much better the sound quality is with the phones although it is probably fucking up my already diminished hearing.

Led Zeppelin's "Whole lot of love" sounds awsome with phones on as did the sound track on the trailer for G vs K. 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Just recently I have been wearing good quality headphones when watching films etc on both the TV and my PC. That was a spin/off from the fact I intend to watch footy in bed (starting tonight) on my new tablet to save me getting up in the middle of the night. Need to wear h/phones for that or I will wake up the wife. 😀

I never realised how much better the sound quality is with the phones although it is probably fucking up my already diminished hearing.

Led Zeppelin's "Whole lot of love" sounds awsome with phones on as did the sound track on the trailer for G vs K. 🤣

I used to do the same, but got annoyed by the headphone wire snagging on stuff. Invested in a nice 5.1 surround system, but bailed on that for movies as my tinnitus is so bad now I had a very difficult time hearing and understanding the dialog sometimes. The solution that has been working great for me are a pair of 188B Bluetooth ear buds I bought on Lazada. Proof that you don't always have to spend an arm and leg for decent quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I watched a new CGI kids film last night which is getting good reviews.

raya-and-the-last-dragon-web.jpg

From our viewpoint here in Thailand, the interesting thing is that the heroine is from SE Asia, though in a fabled time long ago. I quite enjoyed it, but thought that 'Abominable' was better to be honest. The BBC gives some interesting background to Raya here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56277164

Your kids will definitely enjoy it, anyway.

3 hours ago, Sherlock said:

The new 4 hour version of Justice League has just popped onto Sky Movies today. Good film. Very interesting extra scenes have been added!

well worth watching.

5ADF263A-2DB8-4D79-872F-DD2CD91E59C4.jpeg

looking forward to watching this 🙂 - 4 hours though ...

17 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Slight lie, it comes out at 3 hours and 45 mins! Its certainly different though!

The version I pillaged from YIFY runs for 4 hr 2 m, and that's the length given on the IMDB website.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12361974/

Looks like you're missing 17 minutes.

I was disappointed to see that he's produced it in the old 4:3 TV screen format, though, it looks silly on the TV's nowadays. I read the reasons why he did this and still I don't like it, I'd have much preferred it if he'd stuck with the widescreen format used in the previous film and simply lost some of the picture by cropping it. I didn't notice any negative effects in the movie a few years ago, but it's certain that those big black bars at the sides of the picture are going to annoy the hell out of me if I ever get around to watching this version.