Movies to watch

Toy Boy

On 10/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, forcebwithu said:

Really enjoyed the remake of Dune. Warning, this is part one. No release date for part two, but guesstimates are 2022-2023.

1606738106-dune.jpg

Not sure if it’s my cup of tea, but I’m sure I’ll give it a go soon enough. Was watching a French talk show last night in Montreal, and Denis Villeneuve was one of the guests. Seems like a humble guy, I’m really happy for him, not easy for a French-Canadian to become one of Hollywood’s best directors. Seen many other local showbiz folks who are famous for a few years, and really it go to their heads. Denis has truly hit the big time and doesn’t come off like that

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the latest Timothy Spall film, The Last Bus. The critics weren't over-enthused with it, but most of them aren't British and I'd say that this is a quintessentially British film. There's nothing terribly new in the plot, somebody wanting to scatter his wife's ashes somewhere she loved, but two things stood out for me. One was Spall's brilliant performance as a dying 90-year old desperate to complete his mission before he finally pegged out too. The other was the portrayal of contemporary British society, warts and all. Actually, it's mostly warts, lol, but there's still a lot of kindness and heart there. Quite a touching film, all in all.

MV5BYWVhYWJiZTktODIyYy00YjA3LWEyZjgtMWE5

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

This new offering from Disney is excellent, and it's a good take on the social media-dominated lives that many young people are living today. The story is fun and, of course, the animation is great, but the real highlight comes about halfway through the movie with "poop girl", one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a film. Talk about blighting your life, lol. I won't spoil it by saying any more, but you could do far worse than spend 100 minutes of your life watching this one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7504818/

de213000-16a3-11ec-87ef-5fda00532d59_web

• 2 months later...

I rewatched one of my favourites a while back, 'Billy Elliot'. Jamie Bell, who played Billy, was clearly very gifted and I was wondering if I'd missed any successful films that he'd starred in. His filmography includes TinTin, King Kong, The Fantastic Four and Snowpiercer, among others, but I found one little gem that I'd missed completely, Hallam Foe. It seems to have originally been called Mister Foe, but he plays Hallam Foe and the film is now called that. It's quite unusual, I can't think of a movie to easily compare it with, but it's well-made and very entertaining. Well worth a look, especially if you've enjoyed any of his other performances.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466816/

pdf_07ffb750-f5cc-012d-2aac-0050569428b1

• 4 weeks later...

Was watching TV last night, and the trailer for this new Michael Bay film made me sit up and pay attention. You never know, I’ve seen many a good trailer where the actual film was shite. Looks good though, comes out 4/8 in North America, maybe already playing in Europe

13A338F3-841F-42DA-AF05-F72577562367.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

I gotta add to this list something about movies NOT to watch.  Without a doubt the most stupid ridiculous 'big' movie I have ever seen is 'Spiderman - No Way Home'.  The fact that it is so highly rated by the teenagers tells me that my views are accurate.  Are Movies going down the path of Music - IMO the answer is yes.  More and more superficial content with the focus on style over substance.  Despite the success of GOT and the occasional great movie, the fact is that teenagers go and watch a movie they like again and again and again. That is where the target market lies - and just like the music industry has for decades now, the movie industry is going down that path.  Quality music is a very rare thing these days - movies are going down the same path.  

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I gotta add to this list something about movies NOT to watch.  Without a doubt the most stupid ridiculous 'big' movie I have ever seen is 'Spiderman - No Way Home'.  The fact that it is so highly rated by the teenagers tells me that my views are accurate.  Are Movies going down the path of Music - IMO the answer is yes.  More and more superficial content with the focus on style over substance.  Despite the success of GOT and the occasional great movie, the fact is that teenagers go and watch a movie they like again and again and again. That is where the target market lies - and just like the music industry has for decades now, the movie industry is going down that path.  Quality music is a very rare thing these days - movies are going down the same path.  

Never watched Black Panther or any Marvel franchise myself. I guess I’m just a weirdo too…..

The way things are with the target market, as you say, actually caused me problems at my old condo the last few years. My cable company was giving me many free movie rentals for my loyalty, when they’re $7@ it’s better than no bonus at all. But when I was wondering what to watch that’s fairly new, and would scroll, say, “Top grossing films every year from 2017-2020”…..guess what comes up? Never one single drama/thriller/action flick, just Marvel or animated movies. Sometimes I ended up renting a film that wasn’t even in the Top 50 in receipts for that year……we all have different tastes

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Never watched Black Panther or any Marvel franchise myself. I guess I’m just a weirdo too…..

The way things are with the target market, as you say, actually caused me problems at my old condo the last few years. My cable company was giving me many free movie rentals for my loyalty, when they’re $7@ it’s better than no bonus at all. But when I was wondering what to watch that’s fairly new, and would scroll, say, “Top grossing films every year from 2017-2020”…..guess what comes up? Never one single drama/thriller/action flick, just Marvel or animated movies. Sometimes I ended up renting a film that wasn’t even in the Top 50 in receipts for that year……we all have different tastes

I have watched them all - if only to enjoy the popcorn and have a laugh with the missus - she loves the actions flicks. Some of them are worth watching again (Dr Strange was OK) but most are just inane action flicks all about the CGI action. Just like there are very few quality musicians in music these days, there are going to be less and less quality actors. Before you know it, an 'actor' like Robert Downy Jnr will win the Oscar for his 'performance' in Marvel 221 - Iron Man 59.  Sad.  If you dont have great looks and a great body, then you aint got many roles these days.  And if you do then you certainly dont have to be able to act.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Just like there are very few quality musicians in music these days, there are going to be less and less quality actors. Before you know it, an 'actor' like Robert Downy Jnr will win the Oscar for his 'performance' in Marvel 221 - Iron Man 59.  Sad.  If you dont have great looks and a great body, then you aint got many roles these days.  And if you do then you certainly dont have to be able to act.  

Yes I agree, especially since DDL retired to make shoes……now there is an actor

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

If you dont have great looks and a great body, then you aint got many roles these days.  And if you do then you certainly dont have to be able to act.  

Great looks, a great body, and the ability to act are moving far down the list of what it takes to land a role these days.

Are the Oscars Over?

Have you heard about Aperture 2025?

It may sound like a Roland Emmerich sci-fi movie, but it’s actually more frightening. And much more controversial. It’s the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’s latest initiative to make Hollywood more equitable and diverse—more woke—by changing the rules by which films are eligible for Best Picture nominations. Here’s how it works: Starting in 2024, producers will be required to submit a summation of the race, gender, sexual orientation, and disability status of members of their movie’s cast and crew. If a particular movie does not have enough people of color or disabled people or gays or lesbians working on the set—and what is “enough” will be determined by a knotty tangle of byzantine formularies—then that movie will no longer be eligible for an Oscar.

And another good opinion piece on the decline of movies.

We Aren’t Just Watching the Decline of the Oscars. We’re Watching the End of the Movies.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Yes I agree, especially since DDL retired to make shoes……now there is an actor

Indeed - Daniel was the best for a long time. I know he didnt say anything about it, but I reckon he got sick of all the politically correct crap and mandatory gender roles etc etc etc. Seems to me that several other real actors have also taken a back seat.  But they cannot say a word - to do so would invite massive negative attacks and - as Rickey G found out they hate being criticised and will go into 'kill mode' when they feel insulted.

I saw that Penn has demanded the Ukraine leader speak at this year's Oscars or he will destroy his awards.  Go ahead you asshat I say - sports people and entertainers should stay out of politics - they know about as much about the real world as does the King of (insert name here).  

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Great looks, a great body, and the ability to act are moving far down the list of what it takes to land a role these days.

Are the Oscars Over?

It may sound like a Roland Emmerich sci-fi movie, but it’s actually more frightening. And much more controversial. It’s the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’s latest initiative to make Hollywood more equitable and diverse—more woke—by changing the rules by which films are eligible for Best Picture nominations. Here’s how it works: Starting in 2024, producers will be required to submit a summation of the race, gender, sexual orientation, and disability status of members of their movie’s cast and crew. If a particular movie does not have enough people of color or disabled people or gays or lesbians working on the set—and what is “enough” will be determined by a knotty tangle of byzantine formularies—then that movie will no longer be eligible for an Oscar.

We Aren’t Just Watching the Decline of the Oscars. We’re Watching the End of the Movies.

They call it cultural enrichment, but the reality is that it is cultural vandalism. 

Thanks for the links - clearly I am not alone in saying these things.

Well, when they weren't hosting a boxing match, the Oscars got one thing right in my opinion, giving the best film award to CODA. I have no great fondness for teenagers playing music, usually I'd walk a mile out of my way to avoid anything like that, but this film is so touching and the performance by Emilia Jones is just about perfect. If you haven't seen it, give it a go.

Apple_TV_Coda_key_art_graphic_header_4_1

Much more deserving than the execrable Power of the Dog, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Well, when they weren't hosting a boxing match, the Oscars got one thing right in my opinion, giving the best film award to CODA. I have no great fondness for teenagers playing music, usually I'd walk a mile out of my way to avoid anything like that, but this film is so touching and the performance by Emilia Jones is just about perfect. If you haven't seen it, give it a go.

Emilia Jones, the daughter of Aled Jones who hosts Songs Of Praise. I found that out today.

14 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

IMO Nightmare Alley deserved the Award.  But yes, as an emotionally touching movie, CODA hits the spot.  

6 hours ago, AussieBob said:

IMO Nightmare Alley deserved the Award.  But yes, as an emotionally touching movie, CODA hits the spot.  

Jesus am I slow…..I just realized I’ve still got 6 weeks of AppleTV free from my last IPHONE. I open the App just now….guess what popped up

F8105761-1782-4596-B2AA-817662BFB612.jpeg

On 11/29/2021 at 3:03 PM, Toy Boy said:

I just watched the latest Timothy Spall film, The Last Bus. The critics weren't over-enthused with it, but most of them aren't British and I'd say that this is a quintessentially British film. There's nothing terribly new in the plot, somebody wanting to scatter his wife's ashes somewhere she loved, but two things stood out for me. One was Spall's brilliant performance as a dying 90-year old desperate to complete his mission before he finally pegged out too. The other was the portrayal of contemporary British society, warts and all. Actually, it's mostly warts, lol, but there's still a lot of kindness and heart there. Quite a touching film, all in all.

MV5BYWVhYWJiZTktODIyYy00YjA3LWEyZjgtMWE5

lovely tale, thanks for the tip

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Horizondave said:

Emilia Jones, the daughter of Aled Jones who hosts Songs Of Praise. I found that out today.

That's right, and for the real old gits here that's the same Aled Jones who, as a bachgen, sang the original theme music to the short animated hit film, "The Snowman", way back in 1982. Time flies, as well as the snowman, lol.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:24 AM, forcebwithu said:

Are the Oscars Over?

Much like society these days, many "powerful" organisations are keen to meet the agenda of a few, vocal and self righteous individuals for fear of being cast into the abyss of refusing to conform with woke agendas and ideals.

Sadly, the very word "Racist" is no longer used to describe a person, it is used as a weapon to discredit and destroy careers. It's used by the vocal minority, the professionally offended and those who feel history should be rewritten to reflect the current times rather than the historical.

For a professional especially an entertainer / director / producer to be labelled an "-ist" of some description can be career ending. Shunned by Hollywood, dropped by publishing companies and generally avoided by sponsors for fear of bad PR. Now, we are effectively being dictated to on what we can and cannot watch, or even have an opinion on. Our freedoms of choice are being insidiously eroded by the sneering left wing liberal elites who feel they can decide what is good for us and what is not.

This also restricts artistic license as well. Freedom of expression is not freedom if it has to be tempered by unbalanced rules which do nothing to improve the nature of the art. It's like saying "present me a piece of art to inspire me with this one, broken pencil".

Hollywood has always been an incestuous, corrupt, self serving, narcissistic cesspit of humanity. Historically it has hardly been a beacon of integrity and fair play, and unfortunately the longer people inhabit such a world, the further detached they become from reality.

No amount of posturing will ever change that and as time goes on, it's going to get a lot worse.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1