Movies to watch

Toy Boy

I've long been a fan of Bill Nighy, so his new film, 'Living', which has had good reviews, was a must-watch. Here's a summary from Wiki:

"Living is a 2022 British drama film directed by Oliver Hermanus from a screenplay by Kazuo Ishiguro, adapted from the 1952 Japanese film Ikiru directed by Akira Kurosawa, which in turn was inspired by the 1886 Russian novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy. Set in 1953 London, it depicts a bureaucrat in the county Public Works department (played by Bill Nighy) facing a fatal illness."

I'm not intellectual enough to have seen or read any of the other sources mentioned there, lol, so I was able to approach this film with an open mind. The settings and acting are excellent, though people not used to Bill Nighy's precise and deliberate style may find it a bit slow. I certainly enjoyed it, but I thought the whole moral of the story was a bit trite, though maybe that's just the age we live in. Back in 1952/53, or in 1886, perhaps his behaviour would have been truly shocking. Anyway, don't let me put you off as it's a very well-done movie and worth your time. I'll be interested to hear what others think.

MV5BNTdiMWI1ZmUtOTk3OS00ZDYxLThjZWYtYjIw

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Oh my, believe I had to read the book when I was 9 or 10….

Guess I still have a bit of my memory left 

Standard reading for most grade schools in the US. I remember reading the book at about the same age you mentioned. I recall enjoying the book. Unfortunately, like many of the classics, there are those that will find fault in it and want it removed from library shelves.

Banned Books Awareness: The Call of the Wild

"But, as one might expect, such a classic work of American literature would find itself on the American Library Association’s list of the 100 most-frequently challenged classics at #33."

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't expecting too much from this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. Love it or hate it, it's what Hollywood and Tom Hanks do best. As a crusty expat, I could easily identify with the grumpy old sod, lol. Nothing much really happens, but it's easy to become absorbed in the storyline and the characters, and I admit to finding at least one tear in my eye by the end.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7405458/

15eb6080-61dc-11ed-9e6f-d1ad2cd6c574_web

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I wasn't expecting too much from this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. Love it or hate it, it's what Hollywood and Tom Hanks do best. As a crusty expat, I could easily identify with the grumpy old sod, lol. Nothing much really happens, but it's easy to become absorbed in the storyline and the characters, and I admit to finding at least one tear in my eye by the end.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7405458/

15eb6080-61dc-11ed-9e6f-d1ad2cd6c574_web

Watched this on the flight back to the States. Not something I would have picked to watch, but the pickings were slim on the United flight. Like you I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the movie. Noticed they had checked all the boxes for diversity in the movie, but it wasn't in your face wokeness so didn't detract from the storyline.

• Like 1

Just watched Bloodshot with Vin Diesel but, if I am honest, the film was OK, but I found myself waiting for Eiza Gonzalez to come on screen. Wow, just my type of girl. Another Mexican like my favourite, Salma Hayek.

Didn't know, but she is in the 'From Dusk Till Dawn' series so I will certainly look that one up.

Eiza1.jpg

Eiza4.jpg

Eiza 5.jpg

Eiza 6.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Just watched Guy Richie’s The Covenant. 
highly highly recommended!

a solid 9.5/10. 

I waited for the 4k version to appear on Yify, which it duly did this morning, so that's on my list of films to watch soon.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:51 AM, Sherlock said:

Just watched Guy Richie’s The Covenant. 
highly highly recommended!

a solid 9.5/10. 

IMG_4268.jpeg

Just finished watching this. Thought the first hour was good, but then it seemed to drag on and I ended up FF through quite a bit. At a little over 2hrs I think they could have edited it down to 1.5 hrs and had a much better movie.

Reading the IMDB reviews I thought several appeared to be AI generated. Seems others have noticed that too when I did a Google search (link). Shame as it means more spam to scroll through to view the meaningful posts. Kind of like a certain topic on this forum.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:20 AM, Sherlock said:

Just watched Sisu.

Think John Wick meets Tarantino! Definitely worth a 9/10

MV5BMWYwMzNkOWEtNjA3YS00YjE5LTlkMjYtMmRjMjExNjA1NDM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NTM5NDY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Just watched this last night, definitely a 'can't stop watching' movie. Some amazing moments, not for the faint hearted, loved it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mainly for the Brits, I saw this one mentioned on the Rare Films & TV group of FB. I'm a fan of Michael Caine but I'd never heard of this movie, "Water", from 1984.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090297/

They're right about it being rare, the only copies I could find on the Torrent sites were in DVD format, my guess is that it's never been released in 720 or 1080p format. A shame as it's actually quite good, very funny in places, with a great performance by Sir Michael. It's worth watching just for the stellar cast, including Leonard Rossiter, Billy Connolly and Fulton Mackay, what's not to like? Highly under-rated and well worth a look if you can find it.

Water 1984.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Mainly for the Brits, I saw this one mentioned on the Rare Films & TV group of FB. I'm a fan of Michael Caine but I'd never heard of this movie, "Water", from 1984.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090297/

They're right about it being rare, the only copies I could find on the Torrent sites were in DVD format, my guess is that it's never been released in 720 or 1080p format. A shame as it's actually quite good, very funny in places, with a great performance by Sir Michael. It's worth watching just for the stellar cast, including Leonard Rossiter, Billy Connolly and Fulton Mackay, what's not to like? Highly under-rated and well worth a look if you can find it.

Water 1984.jpg

Very good movie.

“- Rob: This is the Governor's wife!
- Deke Halliday: You mean she's not the hooker?
- Baxter: I told you not to wear those heels, darling.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Cannot believe it took me almost 35 years to finally watch this. Can’t explain it, IYKYK….I guess it’s got something to do with having lost my Dad recently, who chauffeured me to baseball games for 12 years until we discovered golf. And seeing Ray Liotta who also just passed, playing a ghost…..wow 

Maybe the best sports film I’ve ever watched, some scenes gave me shivers 

image.png

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 4