Movies to watch

Toy Boy

This used to be a popular thread on the old Secrets forum. I can't find a new version of it here using search, so I'll try starting one up and see if we get any response.

It would be easy to start with something recent and brilliant, like say Bohemian Rhapsody which I loved. Or maybe Aquaman, or Stan & Ollie. I've seen some highly enjoyable Australian films though, and a few weeks ago I watched one which I thought was one of the best, The Tracker (2002).

(N.B. not to be confused with the Ray Winstone offering, Tracker, from 2010 set in NZ)

It's filmed in the Flinders range in South Australia and there's some beautiful scenery that's photographed very nicely. I initially though the director was trying to be too artsy-fartsy with the music and native paintings, but he's fitted it all together perfectly and it really works well. The story's a nice one too, some convincing racist acting there, but I guess it probably was pretty much like that back in the 1920's when the movie is set. I won't spoil it by saying anything more, but it's a great way to spend 90 minutes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212132/

the-tracker-on-demand.jpg

• Like 2

I just watched Hangover ll for about the 7th time. For some reason that is one of those movies I never get tired of watching.

It is one of my favorite comedies. Perhaps I am a bit biased because of so many great scenes in Thailand and places I've seen. But I also think it is a well put together movie, good acting and funny as hell.

IMO blows Hangover I and III away.

• Thumbs Up 1

A true story of a power struggle between an Irishman and the mob in Cleveland, Ohio and made Cleveland the bombing capitol of the America for a time.59b6a8f6c5650bb3960226b698524b68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've watched the Rise of the Footsoldier 3 films multiple times and eagerly await the 4th installment later this year set in Marbella. All of first 3 based on true story with Carlton Leach Pat Tate and co

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/17/2019 at 1:03 PM, Doug said:

A true story of a power struggle between an Irishman and the mob in Cleveland, Ohio and made Cleveland the bombing capitol of the America for a time.59b6a8f6c5650bb3960226b698524b68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s so funny, I bought this off a vendor at Sailor Bar in 2012 for 50 baht I think. Good movie, old Danny was fearless

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Just started streaming Ray Donovan, I’m 4 episodes in. Can’t believe I haven’t heard more about this show, I’m addicted. Jon Voight is excellent

I agree Jon Voight is excellent. Unfortunately the last season was utter hogwash.

22 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

That’s funny because I saw 2 characters, the wife & Avi, have 60/72 episodes. I’m assuming they both left for Season 6

Nope - plenty of flashbacks and more.

The bad thing about last season is that way too much of Ray not saying a word and only staring into space. He becomes a fallen man. Sorry if that bums it for you.

I also was quite addicted to the series and felt a major letdown by how it evolved.

Here's a diamond in the rough, 'Away We Go' from way back in 2009. I burnt it to DVD years ago but the poster/DVD cover is so unattractive that I never watched it.

MV5BMTYxNzE3NjAwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODkx

Really, looking at that I expected some sort of art-deco, nouveau-hippy nonsense.

I was pleasantly surprised when I finally stuck the DVD in the player, it's a great little film, funny with colourful and interesting characters and some great banter. Highly recommended, and IMDB and RT agree too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1176740/

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the new Ben Affleck film, Triple Frontier, a few nights ago. It's entertaining with loads of action and some nice photography, just there's nothing very original in the story. Or maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age?

1096327.jpg

9 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I watched the new Ben Affleck film, Triple Frontier, a few nights ago. It's entertaining with loads of action and some nice photography, just there's nothing very original in the story. Or maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age?

1096327.jpg

I kept looking at the photo and trying to remember what I had seen the guy on the left in previously.

Eureka!

Sons of Anarchy - Charlie Hunnan

On a roll then - Vikings! 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

I've watched a couple of decent films lately.

Arctic, starring Mads Mikkelsen, ought to win an Oscar for the least dialogue. It doesn't need it though, as it's a gritty, well-filmed survival drama in the frozen north. It's good to watch all that snow and ice from the safety of the tropics, anyway.

Arctic-Official-Trailer-752x440.jpg

Last night I watched Instant Family, starring Mark Wahlberg. It's hard not to like this movie, even though it probably over-simplifies the whole issue of fostering kids. Absolutely hilarious in the early stages, it has to become a bit more serious as time passes, but it's captivating all the time without being mawkish or overly sentimental. A nice way to spend two hours.

81Mb8J7JwkL._SS500_.jpg

And finally Kursk, a French-Belgian production. Sadly, we all know the ending, but it's gripping finding out how this disaster actually happened. Great effects and photography.

Kursk-mvoie-teaser-poster.jpg?ssl=1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, davethailand said:

Green book.

Best film I've seen for a long time.

🙂

+1. Just watched it and...what can you say? Great acting, true story, first time in a while I wasn’t thinking “ how much longer do I have left to watch this crap”? 

2 things I learned from this movie:

1. The driver Tony Lip, became an actor. He’s in many gangster movies, and played Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. in The Sopranos. He passed in 2013

2. Never knew what a Green Book was, but then again I didn’t grow up in the 60’s in America. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, Horizondave said:

Watched Hotel Mumbai yesterday, excellent film that is very hard hitting, some might even find it hard to watch as it pulls no punches.  Plenty of violence and being based on true events is very shocking at times.

A really good movie.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that one, but it's on the Yify website so I've just downloaded a copy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a couple I recently watched and enjoyed, one old and one new. Fighting with my Family is the new one, based on a true story it's both gritty and funny, with great acting all around.

-160807-poster-xlarge.jpg

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean is the old one, dating back to 1972. It's also a very amusing, if somewhat unlikely, story, but apparently Roy Bean was a real judge and saloon keeper in Texas who became known as the Hanging Judge so there's at least an element of truth in there. A great piece by Paul Newman anyway, and an immortal film.

MV5BODBlMWUyZTMtYzU4Ni00OTk5LTk5MDUtNmJi