Movies to watch

Toy Boy

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

On that assumption I recommend

:Gangs of London.jpg

I binged watch Series 2 during the last few days.

This lot make the Kray's look like alter boys. Gallons of claret and gratuitous violence as the various ethnic gangs carve up London's underworld.

Exciting and really well acted.

It's on Now and Sky Atlantic but I just found it on one of the free "MOVIE" apps I so I could watch the whole lot at my leisure.

just dl it and on series 1.. so far not overly impressed but will persevere 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

On that assumption I recommend

:Gangs of London.jpg

I binged watch Series 2 during the last few days.

This lot make the Kray's look like alter boys. Gallons of claret and gratuitous violence as the various ethnic gangs carve up London's underworld.

Exciting and really well acted.

It's on Now and Sky Atlantic but I just found it on one of the free "MOVIE" apps I so I could watch the whole lot at my leisure.

Good show. I have watched it. You might also be interested in Kin, if you have not seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_(Irish_TV_series)

Irish gangsters in this case with similar body counts and drama.

On 10/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, Toy Boy said:

I settled down last night to watch a new film, simply called 'Fall', and was astounded, easily the best new film I've seen in years.

fall-2022-movie-review.jpg

The premise is simple enough, a couple of girls climb a 2,000 ft tall abandoned TV mast and get stuck on the top, but the acting is great, the plot has lots of twists, and the photography is simply stunning. I was watching a full 4k version and, if you've got a big screen TV, it's well worth it as the pictures are awesome. I also liked the fact that there was minimal preamble setting the scene, they got down to the TV tower action very quickly and it stayed there.

Wiki explains how they did a lot of the filming by building the top of the tower on top of a mountain so that it really appeared to be thousands of feet up in the sky, but the actors were never more than 100 ft above the ground. Kudos to them is all I can say, a mere 100 ft on that thing would have me crapping my pants, lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_(2022_film)

I had to watch the end credits to get my breath back properly as I think I'd been holding it during parts of the film. When it was finished and I got up I'm sure i felt dizzy, vertiginous after feeling I'd been stuck 2,000 ft up in the air for the last 80 or so minutes! Really, I was completely gripped almost the entire time, an absolutely brilliant movie.

On RT, both the critics and audience give it 79%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fall

and here's the official trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5MXOMN1lM

Decided to watch it last night after reading your post. Had my hands and feet sweaty for nearly 1 1/2 hour. I was pretty disappointed in the rather abrupt ending though.

Then when I got home, remembered I had PVR this on the weekend. It played on TV in 2020 before I moved, but for  whatever reason, my Dad’s health or other, never finished it. The Scotsman was JACKED for this flick, and honestly unlike the Rock and others, I think he might achieved it naturally, had a hell of a personal trainer. Anyway, good end to the trilogy, sad knowing we won’t see Bruce Willis anymore

4D8258C7-251B-4366-B9BA-707C23391BE4.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, Golfingboy said:

Then when I got home, remembered I had PVR this on the weekend. It played on TV in 2020 before I moved, but for  whatever reason, my Dad’s health or other, never finished it. The Scotsman was JACKED for this flick, and honestly unlike the Rock and others, I think he might achieved it naturally, had a hell of a personal trainer. Anyway, good end to the trilogy, sad knowing we won’t see Bruce Willis anymore

4D8258C7-251B-4366-B9BA-707C23391BE4.jpeg

I believe Bruce’s last  movie is out in January 23 

Detective Knight: Independence 

• Thumbs Up 1

I might be " stretching" a bit here with some of the personalities on this board but............wifey and I went and saw " Avatar" last night here.......not a real big fan of this type of movie but geez.....the visuals and the overall story line was just outstanding. 

Got to give it up to James Cameron, that guy knows how to make a great story, into a great movie. Just my opinion of course. 

Just a side note here, hit " Sizzler" at Fashion Island Mall before the show right? See that lady in the wheelchair? Was taking a pic of wifey, finish up, she kind of looks at me, always try to be respectful of the elders here, I throw up "The Wai" and say " Sa Wa Dee Krap"  She looks at me with the "Death Stare" and says " I speak English you know, where are you from"??  Geeez.....I tell her I am from America, wifey kind of has a smile on her face. She asks me " What are you doing here then"?  Geeez....I tell her I am married to Rachanee and I live here now. 

At this point, the family that she is with kind of takes over and talks to Rachanee....she then says something in Thai to Rachanee and I ask her what did she say to you? She asked me if you buy everything for me? WTF??  

I think Grandma was getting an early start on NYE and was hitting " The sauce" before dinner tonite. Seriously...

I love this place LOL! 

IMG_1918.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 1

If you're into documentaries, I saw this one on YIFY and just watched it, though it dates back to 2013. Beautifully filmed with hardly any dialogue, the story tells itself. Months of backbreaking labour under a hot sun in the Gujarati desert, there are easier ways to make a living, and I guess as India becomes richer this way of life will simply vanish, which makes it all the more important that we have this wonderful record of it. Just settle back with a nice, cold drink and let the film wash over you, it's really good.

MV5BMjExNzU0NTI5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3276852/

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 3:23 PM, Aqualung said:

I also went with the wife to see Avatar at future park, rangsit. 

30 minutes of annoying adverts before the movie started!!! 

As Yessongs says above. A wonderful watch. 

Is this the sequel?

Edited by boydeste

On 12/31/2022 at 8:23 AM, Aqualung said:

I also went with the wife to see Avatar at future park, rangsit. 

30 minutes of annoying adverts before the movie started!!! 

As Yessongs says above. A wonderful watch. 

I went to watch it last Sunday absolutely brilliant ..

Best film iv seen in ages (for escapism) even better than the first I thought.

I watched the first again the day before so I'd remember it all.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, roomark said:

I went to watch it last Sunday absolutely brilliant ..

Best film iv seen in ages (for escapism) even better than the first I thought.

I watched the first again the day before so I'd remember it all.

If there is one small criticism from me the movie is 20 mins overly long and I normally enjoy the longer films. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:41 PM, galenkia said:

I find a lot of movies are too long these days.

Agree on that.

Rewatched Some Like it Hot at Xmas, 2 hours long and it flies by.

Had downloaded a couple of modern films from All4, when I went to watch, both were over 3 hours. Didn't bother!!

• Thumbs Up 1