An old frog Indonesians exploration

Thai Spice

A few more on this. Seems it is not all for the temple, some is distributed to the neighbours, all part of the Galungan ritual.

Filling of the baskets with wet, uncooked rice :

20190730_054153-768x1024.jpg

Boiling is done as usual on the traditional stoves

20190730_081133-768x1024.jpg

When ''cooked'' it is hanged to dry a bit :

20190730_125740-1024x768.jpg

Final product :

20190730_125753-768x1024.jpg

Another ''wrapping design'', but same process

20190730_095550-768x1024.jpg

20190730_134241-768x1024.jpg

And some soup is also prepared and send off in similar ''pile up'' pots that we used in the old days to bring lunch to work on site 😃

20190731_064234-768x1024.jpg

• Like 1

One morning last week I noted some project was starting on the water stream (a more appropriate name would be ‘’klong’' !)  near the house.

The water level was lowered, and some digging started.

20190726_163558-768x1024.jpg

After a few questions translated approximatively by my long hair instant dictionary, it seems they are going to reinforce the berms. Similar to what exist a bit further upstream.

20190725_171312-768x1024.jpg

This is close to slavery, absolutely no equipment is used except shovels, hoes and 1 wheelbarrow. The digging is done wading knee deep in the water and all the handling / lifting is done by hand.  This is definitively a back breaking job.

20190729_105416-768x1024.jpg

DSCN0070.JPG

They install this type of bottom support blocs. Alignement is controlled with cords on bamboo frames, of course forget about any theodolite or other survey equipment !

20190729_065007-768x1024.jpg

Then they install those plates, they are grooved and connect to each other. No cement or anything is used to bond them, and in fact it would be a bit useless considering sometimes the job is done ‘’underwater’’. Indeed during 3 days they re-opened the valves to allow the water to flow and avoid the surrounding fields to run dry.

DSCN0052.JPG

DSCN0051.JPG

Again, I noted the community spirit that reigns here. Every day the Miss or brother offer tea and coffee to the crew that works near our house. Other people do same to other crews.

And of course they were all surprised to see a white face in the middle of this area !

OK boys,  that's it for this trip . Tomorrow morning the frog is on the move again, back to Bali ! 

Cheers !

20190727_155406-768x1024.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics from last Saturday around Kuta, Legian Street area.

This is the 100% tourist area, its OK to go for a few hours for some drinks and food, but personally the whole scene gets on my tits after a few hours.  Mainly because of the clientele profile, but also because of the touting present everywhere.  But if your looking for noisy bars full of Aussies of the best type, that’s where you’ll find it.  I can imagine what it is at night !

The beach gates :

ThDSCN0052.JPG

a shit phone + a shit phone operator, sorry for the quality.

DSCN0054.JPG

DSCN0055.JPG

DSCN0056.JPG

Beach is OK, surfing is one of the main attractions here in Bali.

DSCN0058.JPG

But as soon you look behind or under the tree line it is the usual shit.

DSCN0060.JPG

This is Poppies Lane 1 (there is also a #2) , they dont grow poppies on the place but you can sure buy all the products derivated from it ....

Bloody narrow lane, minimart, souvenir shops, clothes shops, bars, restaurant, massages, .... could be Pattaya.  Is a pain because of the motorcycles.

DSCN0067.JPG

DSCN0066.JPG

DSCN0051.JPG

A nice place where I had a few drinks :

DSCN0070.JPG

20190808_113833-1024x768.jpg

Classy T-shirts anybody ?

20190808_115334.jpg

Depending on your mood, select your transport for sightseeing :

DSCN0065.JPG

20190808_123704.jpg

20190808_123710.jpg

Ground zero, the memorial for the 2002 disco bombing victims . Recently there was a big contreversy about this, as the landlord wanted to sell the land (prime location) and promoters wanted to build a hotel ... Of course I can understand him, but the Australian embassy raised a big  story, and for the moment the project is shelved.

DSCN0074.JPG

Took this picture as I like the 2 generations contrast :

DSCN0072.JPG

OK folks, thats it !

DSCN0067.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Pumpuynarak said:

TFP TS, i think the pics are brill but what do i know about photography, i love the sea but preferably from down under when Scuba diving.

Done some scuba diving, but  only as long I can see the bottom. Once arriving on the deep black hole, I freak out.  Tried a few times to "push" it when in the M.E.,  but really not confortable with it. 

Plenty of diving schools here and I have been thinking about giving it another try... Who knows ? But I better hurry up 😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Plenty of diving schools here and I have been thinking about giving it another try... Who knows ? But I better hurry up 😁😁😁

Go for it, you're still in good shape, i've been thinking of giving it one last go before i "pop me clogs". I've done over 300 dives all round the world (Maldives my fav) and loved every minute of it, what a stress reliever.....   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Pumpuynarak said:

Go for it, you're still in good shape, i've been thinking of giving it one last go before i "pop me clogs". I've done over 300 dives all round the world (Maldives my fav) and loved every minute of it, what a stress reliever.....   

Went to the Club Med in the Maldives mid 90's. Diving instructor was a lovely Japanese girl....😍😍😍  My ex was not very impressed, to put it gently ...

• Haha 1

Just now, Pumpuynarak said:

I just love the place, been to 5 different islands and did all my courses there, pure quality, they can't be beaten imo.

Yes, but Mahé having been taken over by Islamists, one better stays on the island and atolls.   Even in those day topless was frowned upon ...

Nowadays, and if I had the money Seychelles would be on the list for retirement. Lovely place as well, very similar beaches , multi cultural. English is currently spoken.   

In fact if I could live 50 more years, I would probably move 15 times...so many placee to see !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yes, but Mahé having been taken over by Islamists, one better stays on the island and atolls.   Even in those day topless was frowned upon ...

Nowadays, and if I had the money Seychelles would be on the list for retirement. Lovely place as well, very similar beaches , multi cultural. English is currently spoken.   

In fact if I could live 50 more years, I would probably move 15 times...so many placee to see !

Only ever flew into Mahe and then seaplane or speed boat to our island, i used to hear the Islamists wailing at 4am from neighbouring islands but visited quite a few of them and was always made welcome by the locals.

9 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Been there, pure paradise, had 1 week there and 1 week on Mauritus (sp) Marlin fishing, ahh the memories. 

Seychelles (yeah, yeah, sorry about the date...)

20190817_084545-1024x768.jpg

And next we went to Mauritius. Great place as well. Plenty digital nomads nowadays choose it. 

20190817_084624-1024x768.jpg

20190817_084846-1024x768.jpg

Naah, no need to post "Thank you for your services" ...It wasn't that hard  after all. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Seychelles (yeah, yeah, sorry about the date...)

20190817_084545-1024x768.jpg

And next we went to Mauritius. Great place as well. Plenty digital nomads nowadays choose it. 

20190817_084624-1024x768.jpg

20190817_084846-1024x768.jpg

Naah, no need to post "Thank you for your services" ...It wasn't that hard  after all. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Love the pics, 1976, what a momentous year for me and Southampton FC, i got married and Saints won the FA cup defeating Man Utd.

• Like 1

This week there is an event called "Sanur Village Festival"  

http://www.sanurvillagefestival.com/en/events/

It consist of a week of various festivities and competitions like surfing, kite, traditionnal dances, open air fair with bands etc..... as per the above link.  We didn't go last year, so I decided to have a look yesterday morning. Day time visit, I don't really fancy the evening mayhem.....

Location is on the north of Sanur, about 10 / 15 min by taxi from my place.

The grounds were just opening, so not much to see but enough to have an idea how it must look in the evening.

Two big stages for bands and traditionnal music / dances, plenty shops selling souvenirs or clothes, and of course plenty food tents. 

DSCN1051.JPG

DSCN1059 (2).JPG

Sound system was being tested, and YES IT WORKS !  Can't see myself having dinner with such a level of noise (sorry, traditionnal music...)

20190821_112539_s.mp4

After a quick walk around, of to the nearby beach area, a part of Sanur I hadn't visit yet. It is VERY touristic as it is the departure area for the speedboats to the nearby island (Nusa Penida, Lombok...)

DSCN1059 (1).JPG

The walkway along the beach is full restaurant, shops, and the ticket booking offices with "waiting room" 

DSCN1059 (4).JPG

DSCN1059 (5).JPG

DSCN1060.JPG

Power should be OK on this one.... (6 x 250 !)

DSCN1061.JPG

And a general view :

Saw a funny thing... As "boarding" is done by wading through the water, the staff provides basket (the blue ones) to put your shoes in to avoid to wet them. Now after everybody has boarded, the guy sure sure a good intention in mind, dips the basket a bit in the water to clean it from the sand....  And on disembarking, he simply dumps the whole lot of shoes on the beach.... Good hunt !

PS : I found an application "PANDA" for resizing videos on my phone !  You see @Pumpuynarak, us old dinos should never despair !

Things got a bit on my nerves when we wanted to leave, as this is a "taxi mafia only" area and Grab or even the official BlueBirds are banned to pick up people.  Of course plenty touts around quoting inflated prices, we walked a bit, got a Grab but still the guy gave it a try to offer us a visit to a temple and Uliwatu beach !  Grrrrrr....

OK, visited once, but I'll stick to my usual area which is way more friendly.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Great pics/vid and TR TS, i love the sea/beach and really miss it. 

Absolute must for me.  If one day I move the next destination shall be by the sea again .

This was the view from my terass when I lived in the Caribbean (Martinique) nearly 20 y ago . Was / is on my retirement list but the place is expensive, and the locals are less nice than here.....

DSCF0005.JPG

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Absolute must for me.  If one day I move the next destination shall be by the sea again .

This was the view from my terass when I lived in the Caribbean (Martinique) nearly 20 y ago . Was / is on my retirement list but the place is expensive, and the locals are less nice than here.....

Bloody gorgeous but yes i understand its expensive, i love the Caribbean. Only been to Grenada and Tobago scuba diving but i'd live there in a heartbeat.

BTW  the capital of the Madives is Male and the capitol of the Seychelles is Mahe, i knew it did'nt look right and i have a constant reminder as a wifey whose name is ????

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

That boat with the 6 O/B surely should have an inboard engine judging by the size of it.

With an inboard and propeller(s) deep under the waterline they would not be able to "beach" in reverse like that.

Hence the choice of outboards that can be tilted out of the water.

Of course a proper pier would solve the problem, but..... politics and money !

• Great Info 1