An old frog Indonesians exploration

Thai Spice

Just now, Pumpuynarak said:

and the ones they fly around my gaff are as noisy as f***, not as big as the ones in your pic but they tie them up so they're flying 24/7 !!!

I saw some attaching a small propeller drive dynamo on it, to power a light. Those are really a pain.  A bit like the APU on a plane.

Lucky not many of them and plenty trees between the beach and my place, so not too noisy.

Evening usually there is a concert,, beats the noise....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Agreed its different, not in Thailand but on our doorstep and with TI f****** us about many maybe looking for pastures new. 

TBH, for somebody who wants to enjoy a relaxed retirement, this is not a bad place at all.  It has about everything one may want at a certain age.

And from what I experience since 2 years, the climat is much more easy. 

Again, girls are available everywhere in the world. Here also, simply not in your face 24/7.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

Saw a great international kite festival in 2001 in the army camp on the Hua Hin/ Pranburi Road. Those kites were over 100 meters long, with half a dozen guys hanging off the end to hold them down. 

Fantastic pics TS, thanks. 👍

On 9/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, KhunDon said:

Saw a great international kite festival in 2001 in the army camp on the Hua Hin/ Pranburi Road. Those kites were over 100 meters long, with half a dozen guys hanging off the end to hold them down. 

Fantastic pics TS, thanks. 👍

They have them around here also sometimes, but I guess not convenient for this kind of competition.

Pic taken from our place, around 800m away from the beach.

DSCN0354.JPG

• Like 2

Last Sunday we had a walk at the beach closest to our ressort, the one where the kite festival was held recently.

There is a place there called “Dreamland” that we passed many times but never ventured in as I expected it to be some local tourist thing. And, confirmed IT IS ! 

To enter we paid 20k each (45b),  I am pretty sure I saw 2 local girls just paying 10k each but OK lets be diplomatic and shut up. No need to put the Miss is an embarrassing situation.

That’s what the place advertises, and I think in the evening it must be a bit busy. At 11.00 am it was dead.

DSCN0091.JPG

A few yachts in the port on the other side of the water, need to check one day what is the daily or half day charter rate.

DSCN0092.JPG

DSCN0093.JPG

Inside there are some places to eat, BBQ, and a small stage so there might even be some entertainment at night ?

DSCN0090.JPG

DSCN0096.JPG

DSCN0094.JPG

DSCN0100.JPG

There are also some bungalows that I suppose you can rent by the day. But the whole area really lacks of maintenance. Sadly, as it could be something really nice !

DSCN0097.JPG

A 30 min walk around, a few pics and out we went again. The guy at the entrance asked for our tickets back, the Miss duly hands them over … And 50m further a live guard ask her “You have your tickets ? You can have an ice cream with it here !”  That’s when you realize you were ripped off a 2nd time…..  OK, it doesn’t happen often here so smile and go for a beer.

Close to there is the beach patronized by the locals. A few pics :

DSCN0105.JPG

DSCN0104.JPG

DSCN0110.JPG

DSCN0106.JPG

DSCN0109.JPG

Some statue representing some local gods ?

PS : The one on the right with the cap, is the goddess of switching mood..but I guess you all already worshipped and made donations to similar ones ...

DSCN0112.JPG

OK boys, thats it for today .

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Do they ever clean the beach tide line TS ? it would look so much better imo

The "local" beach no, the beaches in proximity of the hotels yes.

The dirt on the beach depends a lot of the location with regard to the currents and wind. 

• 4 weeks later...

My visa expires on 15/12, so I'll start the renewal process on 01/11.

Remember from previous posts  that in Indo all long term visas are based on having a "sponsor". In fact "guarantor" would be a more appropriate name, as the purpose is that this person is legally responsible for you.

In case of W.P. the sponsor is your employer, for married guys it is their wife, for 6 month "social visit" visa you have to find somebody ... And for retirement visa only government approved visa agencies are accepted to act as your sponsor. No need to say it is a closed market with little competition, and prices are about the same everywhere.  

It cost me 9,000,000 IDR ( 20,000 B). Pretty cheap IMO as it comes to 1600 B/month.

This includes a MERP, Multi Entry Reentry Permit, which allows me to travel out and back of the country illimeted times for the duration of the visa (1 year).  There is no periodical reporting. 

Once the visa extension  obtained, my landlord has to go to the police to declare my presence and obtain a "Police Report"

Documents required (copied / paste from agent's email) :  

Please provide asfo :

1. Original Domicile letter by Banjar and legalized by Head Village Office - to make SKTT is IDR. 500,000
    1. Processing SKTT is now around a week (before was only 3 working day). 
    Note : the "domicile letter" is handled by my landlord. 

2. Original passport

3. Copy extended villa contract includes a copy of the receipt payment. (note : contract is 1 year, fully paid in advance !)

4. Copy/on-line extended health insurance

5. Copy/on-line – Bank Account – the latest 2-months is fine. (note :  Bank account in France is fine)
  6. Copy a letter of statement of hiring Indonesian staff.

T

TTo be followed.

T

• Thumbs Up 1

Some Qs.

4 - Health Insurance.  What sort of cover is required and is there a standard (govt?) policy or are you free to source your  own?

5 - Bank Acccount.  Is there a minimum balance to be maintained or any easy access requirements?

6 - Local staff.  What is required to satisfy this?

38 minutes ago, KWA said:

Some Qs.

4 - Health Insurance.  What sort of cover is required and is there a standard (govt?) policy or are you free to source your  own?

5 - Bank Acccount.  Is there a minimum balance to be maintained or any easy access requirements?

6 - Local staff.  What is required to satisfy this?

4- Health insurance. You are free to choice any local or overseas coverage. Yearly travel insurance is accepted. Yes, I know the limitations, but here comes the point of choosing between really having an real, wide cover insurance, which is pricewise nearly impossible at 60+, or do you want a document that shows you have insurance.... 

5- Sorry, I wasn't precise enough on this. You need to show a regular and constant income (pension) of minimum USD 1500/month. No minimum balance to be kept. I simply provide the bank statements from my bank in France on which I receive my pension monthly.

6- Local staff. You make a statement that you hire (part time is accepted) a maid, a gardener, a driver etc..... Paper signed by both parties, with copy of ID of the person. The person need to be domiciliated in the province you are living. Example : I can not put the Miss, as her ID adress is in Java.

To note also that the lodging rental has a mandatory minimum price.  A 4,000 B room will not be accepted. If I remember well the minimum is 60Million / year (10 k Thb / month)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't posted in this thread since some time as nothing really special or new going on, but I witnessed this event a few days ago and I think its worth posting, as it gives an idea of the death / cremation ceremony or procedure here in Bali compared to Thailand.

It is a elaborate (and expensive) ceremony. Here near the sea the body will be carried in a procession to the sea, where it will cremated on the beach.

I often see those processions, but this time I was in a relatively decent position to made a short video.

Per principle, I normally don't like to take pictures of this kind of things, but that day plenty others were doing it, so I felt a bit more confortable. But no way I would follow to the beach to film the final stage, the cremation, which is done at dedicated religious areas on the beach.

You can search "Balinese Cremation ceremony" on Youtube and you will find plenty.

Here 2 pics and 2 vids I took that day. The videos are compressed so the quality suffered a bit, sorry for that.

20191029_114105.jpg

20191029_114145.jpg

Balinese Hindu cremation ceremony :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngaben

"Ngaben, also known as Pitra Yadyna, Pelebon or cremation ceremony, is the Hindu funeral ritual of Bali, Indonesia.[3][4][5] A Ngaben is performed, states Victoria Williams, to release the soul of a dead person so that it can enter the upper realm where it can wait for it to be reborn or become liberated from the cycles of rebirths.[1][6] The Balinese Hindu theology holds that there is a competition between evil residents of the lower realm to capture this soul, and a proper cremation enhances the chance that it may reach the upper realm.[

A quick Ngaben is preferred, but usually too expensive.[1][7] In Balinese culture, people go through an interim state where they bury the dead for a while usually near Pura Prajapati, pool funds and cremate many recently dead on the same day in an elaborate community-based Ngaben ceremony.[1][8][9] Once the families are financially ready, they select an auspicious day, make bade (coffins) to carry the deads, and announce the event in the village. The families also make a patulangan to cremate the body in,[7] which is either a lembu (bull or mythical animal-shaped bamboo-wood-paper coffin) to burn with the dead, or a wooden wadah (temple-like structure).[3][1] Once the corpse is ready for the cremation ground, it is washed, dressed in Balinese attire, family and friends pay their last goodbye with prayers and the mourners take it for cremation. They carry the corpses with rites, dressed in traditional attire, accompanied with gamelan music and singing, to the kuburan (cremation grounds).[1] If the path passes through major road crossings, the coffin is rotated three times to confuse the evil residents of the lower realm.[1][3]

330px-Funeral_of_Bali_Hinduism_%E3%83%90

Funeral music during Ngaben, Bali

At the cremation ground, the corpse is placed into the bull-shaped lembu or temple-shaped wadah, final hymns are recited and the cremation pyre lit.[2] While the corpse burns, the Balinese music team plays the beleganjur music, a battle song symbolizing the soul's fight with evil underworld to reach the worry-free upper realm.[1][10] Twelve days after the cremation, the families collect the ashes, fill it inside coconut shell, carry it to nearby ocean or sea to return the remains back to the elements.[1]

20191029_114236.mp4

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

13 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

That does look expensive TS but very grand, ya get what you are prepared to pay for ehh ?

Correct mate. 

I like the whole thing, but being a bit a lonely dog here in Bali I don't think I would have to much "followers".

So it would likely be the jungle ceremony for me.  Shit I'll miss the beach .....

More seriously, it is one of the things I have been thinking about. Because after all, I wouldn't have much followers in France neither ! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Correct mate. 

I like the whole thing, but being a bit a lonely dog here in Bali I don't think I would have to much "followers".

So it would likely be the jungle ceremony for me.  Shit I'll miss the beach .....

More seriously, it is one of the things I have been thinking about. Because after all, I wouldn't have much followers in France neither ! 

I am giving my corpse to medical science to cut up. I'll shout a few drinks for my mates at my local pub.

If I die in Thailand they can throw my body out with the garbage.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Seems this sleepy pensioners small town (SANUR) is in for a grand construction ...

20200212_100552-1024x768.jpg

Located between the main road and the beach this is being started 

20200212_100237-1024x768.jpg

20200212_100010-1024x768.jpg

20200212_100055-1024x768.jpg

20200212_100155-1024x768.jpg

20200212_100002-1024x768.jpg

20200212_100020-1024x768.jpg

20200212_100225-1024x768.jpg

Considering the size of the main street, this is not gonna be fun in the future.  Luckily it is not at my favorite beach spot, which at the moment stays untouched !

Anyway considering the speed at which construction is going here, this is not going to open before 3 years.

20200212_100205-768x1024.jpg

• Like 4