Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I quoted him and told him that when Secrets was in its Heyday there was no bar that was any more fun than secrets.

If the people that own the building have taken it over then that will save them having any rent payment which will help tremendously. But I do agree with you regarding it being a terrible location without constant promotion which is what the Forum gave it

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

You and I once had a conversation not so long ago about that forum going and what the common denominator would be with the bar - you were right. It did well because of the forum and I know I’ll get shot down for living in the past but there was a lot of fun to be had in the bar - always. <Thumping my head against a wall> I used to love rocking up straight from my flight, shower, pop down stairs and pop right back up for a snooze with some company. I would never had discovered it without the forum.

It’s a damn shame that everytime I’ve wanted to be there when Scooters is open the place closes up - maybe that a sign.

As for another bar opening up...being fun...good luck!!! I’ll eat my words should this picture ever change. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

If it wasn't for the forum that made.people venture inthat small street, created certain bonds and a sense of comradeship, Secrets had nothing going as advantage on other bars. Rather the opposite, awfull location, girls not better looking than elsewhere, and a prices not cheaper than elsewhere.

What kept the visitors revisiting after a first visit was hosts like Larry, and the idea of meeting up with forum mates.

As simple as that IMO.

But that has been discussed 1000 times.

Now the movie / drama is over. I could see it re open as a Chinese karaoke ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I agree with most of what you say but you have the highlighted bit wrong. For me what kept me going back was the girls and how I felt whilst partying in the place. Sure hosts like Larry were a big asset but they had some super girls working for them that had great attitudes and were at a reasonable price for the service they provided. Take the girls away of which they had probably the best afternoon line up in WS and probably 50 to 70 girls working at night every day and no one would have stayed in the place. Also the food was very good for a bar. Infact the whole package was so good  that many guys never ever left the hotel and the bar for the whole of their holiday.

Agreed. 

In my case remember I discovered Secrets I living in HKG, and spending a WE per rmonth in BKK, so during my few visits the girlie part was not my target.

First visit (probably 10 y ago) was a meeting arranged through the forum with Sinclair and a few other BM's. I always remember me entering, looking around and Sinclair calling "Hey JM, over here !". When I asked him how he recognized me he answered "You're the only one looking like a French in here !" 😄😄😄😄

Went back now and then over the years, even 2 times with the Miss, but the place didn't really attract me. And then one day I had a 3 min chat with Ben, and that was the final nail in the coffin for me visiting again. He 100% confirmed what I thought he was.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I agree with most of what you say but you have the highlighted bit wrong. For me what kept me going back was the girls and how I felt whilst partying in the place. Sure hosts like Larry were a big asset but they had some super girls working for them that had great attitudes and were at a reasonable price for the service they provided. Take the girls away of which they had probably the best afternoon line up in WS and probably 50 to 70 girls working at night every day and no one would have stayed in the place. Also the food was very good for a bar. Infact the whole package was so good  that many guys never ever left the hotel and the bar for the whole of their holiday.

also good a/c & wireless when not so common years ago. not many good ac bars open afternoon in pattaya.

• Like 3

sp we will get a relaunch, of a relaunch.... of a relaunch.  not bad for less than a year.  i am guessing the landlady wouldnt wait till 2nd for the rent but who knows.  dark, empty soi off an otherwise thronging WS...  no greeters on the junction,   nobody knows its there.  

17 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

First visit (probably 10 y ago) was a meeting arranged through the forum with Sinclair and a few other BM's. I always remember me entering, looking around and Sinclair calling "Hey JM, over here !".

Sinclair now that's a blast from the past! Missed too!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

Lost contact with him and I've had some cracking nights drinking till the sun came up,

Partied with him at the Rockhouse many times. The last time was 4 years ago. I briefly chat with him on FB from time to time. But he's slowed down a bit as far as traveling outside BKK. He has lost interest in the forums which is a shame as he was an interesting contributor with a lot of insight. His linguistic abilities are amazing as he speaks so many languages fluently. 

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:02 AM, boydeste said:

and between you Namps,

you banged the lot :default_clapping:

regards

grayray

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

Been out of touch with things lately, lots going on at the moment keeping me out of the loop. Sad to see the bar going downhill. Was a massive draw back in the early days in particular. Loved staying in the hotel and knowing one of the best bars around was downstairs. The loss of the board must be a big impact. That's not to say other things are part of it too of course. So many learned about the bar and Pattaya in general through the board. I hope if it  does re launch it goes well this time. Hope the hotel carries on too.

• Like 4

Secrets is 1 of the best bars in Pattaya . It’s big clean and modern bar just off walking street . 
But what it doesn’t have is the personality or manager behind the bar . Someone that can bring in the crowd . I stayed in the hotel a few times but it’s not my cup of tea. Climbing up the stairs after a few drinks (a lot ) 

whoever takes over the bar will need to be well known to draw in the crowd again and bring back the good attractive ladies 

5 hours ago, Homor said:

whoever takes over the bar will need to be well known to draw in the crowd again and bring back the good attractive ladies 

Personally I think that Secrets was a combination of so many factors, including the forum, the regulars (many of whom lived in town at the time), the initial lineup of chicks, Soi 7, the lower cost of alcohol (before the several tax hikes lately), the relatively-good world economy, the far-smaller number of bars competing for business and chicks than today, etc., that it couldn't be repeated.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

• Thumbs Up 4

44 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Personally I think that Secrets was a combination of so many factors, including the forum, the regulars (many of whom lived in town at the time), the initial lineup of chicks, Soi 7, the lower cost of alcohol (before the several tax hikes lately), the relatively-good world economy, the far-smaller number of bars competing for business and chicks than today, etc., that it couldn't be repeated.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

The change in visitor types ain't helped.Less big spending Westerners and more cheap arse Russians and Indians who don't drink or barfine in bars. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Only tax on drink recently was the sugar tax.
Prices have been pretty steady for years.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, misteregg said:

Only tax on drink recently was the sugar tax.

There were tax increases on alcoholic beverages in 2017 and 2019, according to news reports anyway.

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-taxes/thailand-sets-new-excise-tax-on-alcohol-cigarettes-idUSL4N1LX03R
https://www.nationthailand.com/breakingnews/30326850

Dunno mate, maybe your suppliers didn't pass them along?

Edited by Rompho Ray
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

The change in visitor types ain't helped.Less big spending Westerners and more cheap arse Russians and Indians who don't drink or barfine in bars. 

I always said that the market for western tourists (other than mongers) was going to be fickle and fragile.  Too many other choices closer to home.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Homor said:

Secrets is 1 of the best bars in Pattaya . It’s big clean and modern bar just off walking street . 
But what it doesn’t did not have is the personality or manager behind the bar . Someone that can bring in the crowd . I stayed in the hotel a few times but it’s not my cup of tea. Climbing up the stairs after a few drinks (a lot ) 

was. rip