Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

6 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Still open if you read the thread, what is your thoughts on that, are you going to pop by..............

I was going to pop in as I always enjoyed Secrets. Reading the thread has put me off somewhat,  I think I might end up giving it a miss. Shame, used to be a good bar

2 hours ago, Parry said:

I was going to pop in as I always enjoyed Secrets. Reading the thread has put me off somewhat,  I think I might end up giving it a miss. Shame, used to be a good bar

It hasn't put me off as it is a bar I used to frequent and a bar I would like to try. Of course if the welcome doesn't match the hype then it may not stay on my dance card.

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

But if you enter with your own company you are unlikely to get much interaction with the staff ,  Secrets and Scooters are both no hassle bars 

I got to say I disagree as many times with my ex wife back in the early 2000's I went into Secrets and other customer friendly bars and was welcomed and made to feel my patronage was appreciated.  Staff were interested in us, they made us feel welcome without needing to sit on our laps all night and were happy to make polite conversation if required.

What I am gaining by many of the comments here are that many of these bars now treat you as little more than a piece of the furniture without need to offer a reasonable level of service.

I have been to many no hassle bars but the level of service (even if in a couple unit) is such that I would wish to return and will remember my night for what was on offer including the smiles and eagerness to serve. 

Go into Le Pub and Phil will make you welcome, he won't stay in your face all night but those staff contracted to take care of me do in such a way as I am made to feel special and welcome. I leave with a positive view and not one of negativity which is the case in more and more bars now.

It is no wonder to me that some bars fold and close down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I got to say I disagree as many times with my ex wife back in the early 2000's I went into Secrets and other customer friendly bars and was welcomed and made to feel my patronage was appreciated.  Staff were interested in us, they made us feel welcome without needing to sit on our laps all night and were happy to make polite conversation if required.

What I am gaining by many of the comments here are that many of these bars now treat you as little more than a piece of the furniture without need to offer a reasonable level of service.

I have been to many no hassle bars but the level of service (even if in a couple unit) is such that I would wish to return and will remember my night for what was on offer including the smiles and eagerness to serve. 

Go into Le Pub and Phil will make you welcome, he won't stay in your face all night but those staff contracted to take care of me do in such a way as I am made to feel special and welcome. I leave with a positive view and not one of negativity which is the case in more and more bars now.

It is no wonder to me that some bars fold and close down.

the days of walking into bar and the ladies rushed over help seat you and offer hot/cold washers and maybe give you a quick feel are long gone,let alone come behind you and give you a shoulder massage,while you had a reach round for a discreet/or not so discreet, touch up are long gone.

there are still plenty of places you can have laugh and some friendly grope or three.well it was when I was last there.

SHIT!!!!!!! that was a few years ago,ya stupid old bastard :default_1087: thanks Khun S, I got in first

regards

grayray

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Secrets bar always seemed to me to be pretty upscale. I am sure Ben and his cohorts invested a considerable amount of money to get it up and running and then maintain it over the years.

Now more $ have been invested by Scooters for the remodel. It is really sad to see that it appears from the photos I have seen that there seems to be little customer interest. IMO got to be one of the biggest fails in Pattaya in terms of return for the $ invested. No surprise Ben got out and maybe not as soon as he would have liked.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jcolorado said:

Now more $ have been invested by Scooters for the remodel. It is really sad to see that it appears from the photos I have seen that there seems to be little customer interest. IMO got to be one of the biggest fails in Pattaya in terms of return for the $ invested. No surprise Ben got out and maybe not as soon as he would have liked.

Pattaya is currently in the grips of the lowest of low seasons (same dead horse that get flogged every year),  hopefully patronage will pick up once high season kicks in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Painter said:

Agreed, and I have no objection to being ignored in this situation.

🙂

You were a good man to stay ! I would just have turned around.

Being ignored because you have company doesn't tick it with me. Even with a companion, I expect a few welcome words, inquiring about how is the meal , etc....

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

You were a good man to stay ! I would just have turned around.

Being ignored because you have company doesn't tick it with me. Even with a companion, I expect a few welcome words, inquiring about how is the meal , etc....

Having slept on it, just the lack of a hello, and a smiling face when we ordered would have meant a lot, and we didn't get either, although we did, I think, get a half hearted thankyou as we walked past the bar to leave.

My main concern was the lack of atmosphere; it was to me,  cold and unwelcoming. Yes, I remember well Secrets in its heyday, and I suppose I was hoping for a return to this. I was, obviously, disappointed. 

Talking to the gf (non bg, older, not been in town long, so she says), I dont think she would want to return. In her words, "it borling", although she enjoyed her seafood spaghetti. However, she likes le pub, and was happy to sit there talking to Phil and trying to understand the crazy farang game of "clickit".

Edited by Painter
  • Like 3

Seeing these pics of Scooters is a virtual carbon copy of my experiences in Secrets over the previous 2 years. Staff behind the bar with no energy, no hellos, a couple ladies sitting next to each other in the corner of the bar closest to the bathrooms, heads firmly in  a down position on their phones, the bar basically about as welcoming and lively as a proctologists waiting room.

True, Painter may have entered with his gf in tow and maybe that caused the ladies to maintain a respectful arm's distance away. But I walked in solo and the welcome wagon didn't exactly shower me with any attention for showing up.

I mean, I was dressed well enough, brushed my tooth, even showered using the fruity soaps so as to smell like a bowl of freshly picked lemons, yet still my presence drew about as much excitement as a new toe tagged John Doe at the morgue.

Sorry to hear about the guy who has these health problems that are causing him so much pain, but those employees have bills to pay and families to feed. I hope this guy does right by them and pays out whatever salary they have coming.

Low season can make the most braggadocio bar owner a cowering, weeping mess. Hope this place can at least survive enough to allow it the benefit of a full "high" season, such as it is, to see if it can gain traction in the ever tightening hospitality bizz in Pattaya and become a nightlife mainstay in the WS neighborhood.

Meanwhile, it's low season as well  one country over to the east and Ben is going strong 7 nights a week until 5 am, a full house of girls, busy bartenders fixing drinks and cooks in the kitchen prepping late night eats, customers butts in seats, a live band cranking out high energy rock and pop hits, and the cash is flowing.

I wonder who's laughing now?

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 2

Visited 2130 last night.  Although quiet when we entered, a few customers did come in.  The refurbished place is clean and tidy, although I think a little refurbishment to the upholstery of the seats would be beneficial.  The music is at a volume which allows one to speak and for be a bonus was the smoke free atmosphere.  

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, john luke said:

Visited 2130 last night.  Although quiet when we entered, a few customers did come in.  The refurbished place is clean and tidy, although I think a little refurbishment to the upholstery of the seats would be beneficial.  The music is at a volume which allows one to speak and for be a bonus was the smoke free atmosphere.  

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

How many stiff was there on then..?

I can only see two..

On 6/19/2019 at 9:19 AM, Painter said:

Having slept on it, just the lack of a hello, and a smiling face when we ordered would have meant a lot, and we didn't get either, although we did, I think, get a half hearted thankyou as we walked past the bar to leave.

My main concern was the lack of atmosphere; it was to me,  cold and unwelcoming. Yes, I remember well Secrets in its heyday, and I suppose I was hoping for a return to this. I was, obviously, disappointed. 

Talking to the gf (non bg, older, not been in town long, so she says), I dont think she would want to return. In her words, "it borling", although she enjoyed her seafood spaghetti. However, she likes le pub, and was happy to sit there talking to Phil and trying to understand the crazy farang game of "clickit".

Gone are the days of Larry taking the time to go and speak to ( everyone ) that entered the bar whether he knew them or not.

Thats what made him an outstanding Manager.

Phill is of the same mould  thats why she was happy, there is clearly a lesson to be learned here for all managers to follow.

JDM

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, JDM said:

Gone are the days of Larry taking the time to go and speak to ( everyone ) that entered the bar whether he knew them or not.

Thats what made him an outstanding Manager.

Phill is of the same mould  thats why she was happy, there is clearly a lesson to be learned here for all managers to follow.

JDM

Isn't it an ironic twist, that in a town with several thousand bars and many more girls, one of the main reasons for the success of one of those bars then, and one right now, is due to a couple of guys, who to be fair, were and are far more popular at any given time than any female staff member in either bar is or was. How many times would one stop into Secrets and either leave or stay for just one and then leave because it was a night off for Larry and he wouldn't be there to glad hand the customers?

And how many are disappointed when stopping in LePub only to find out that Phil is off, or had to leave early for whatever reason, and either turn around and leave or only stick around for one and then leave?

Both places employ many women for customers companionship with a mere wave to come over, and yet, it's that warm fuzzy you get inside when  being made to feel welcome and engage in a short chat, with the manager himself, that was/is oft times the key as to whether you considered yourself  having a good time in the bar or not.

Larry and Phil, two men who operated in different styles, one who was more gregarious, the other more subtle, yet each never trying to be something their not but both highly effective in making a connection with their customer base and the success of their respective bars.

Is it any coincidence that one bar began it's slow decline once Larry, a manager that Stickman once bestowed on him the title of the best bar manager in Pattaya, left, and the other, Phil, taking over his own bar and basically building it up and refurbishing it with all amenities available for the customers enjoyment, and has found success where previously there wasn't, despite the location not changing?

Does the Scooters group have anyone close to that level of manager that either Larry or Phil were/are, in order to get this location jump started? If they do not, then without that very important factor, a solid bar manager, to be the glue to the entire operation, this total enterprise, despite all the best of intentions, and the money invested, may be all for naught.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

. . . .  I have been monitoring The Forum there and here are the numbers for the last 7 days as far as post counts. 33 33 28 22 28 50 26 numbers like that show you that there's little to no interest it has just been let go and that's the reason for the downturn.

Some of that down to the tapatalk move I think.  Altough I can sign in using my Secret's credentials, I can't see anything apart from a tapatalk banner.  I don't want a tapatalk account so effectively I've been excluded from the forum.

Some of that down to the tapatalk move I think.  Altough I can sign in using my Secret's credentials, I can't see anything apart from a tapatalk banner.  I don't want a tapatalk account so effectively I've been excluded from the forum.
Trust me the numbers weren't much better before Tapatalk better yes but not much nowhere near the numbers of the early days

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Trust me the numbers weren't much better before Tapatalk better yes but not much nowhere near the numbers of the early days

Yes, I'm sure my average of one post a week isn't being making a big difference 🙂

• Haha 1