Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

11 minutes ago, galenkia said:

No matter how good the forum,the bar still has to be attractive to customers.

But is helps massively in getting people through the door.

I agree on your second statement and it is a good vehicle to direct traffic to an establishment but relying on that forum could prove dangerous especially if, like some forums, personalities take over and piss of many members.

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Besides that, did Scooters promoted the new place in their existing ones ? Like "A new Scooters branch is now open on W.S. .."

I dont think so, maybe they feared to cannibalize the existing ones ? Doubtful as geographically in completely different locations. 

Don't know if they did any promotion in their actual existing sites but they did on their various social media accounts which covers all location.

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

I agree on your second statement and it is a good vehicle to direct traffic to an establishment but relying on that forum could prove dangerous especially if, like some forums, personalities take over and piss of many members.

Seems most of the people pissing off people on Secrets forum did not even use the bar,so you do have a valid point.

The bar itself is a winner IMO but they're going to need a big PR push to raise the profile of the place if it's going to reopen. 

Having a good product isn't any good if nobody knows about it, and because of its location, not many people do.

Best of luck to them. :default_good:

23 minutes ago, Jambo said:

That is absolutely correct.

The forum got people through the door but it  was the fact that they like what they found and returned time and time again.

We were a good team.

Larry galvanised the forum and was the best meeter and greeter in Pattaya and Phil followed on

Ben was a great "Mine Hoste" and my best friend ; Alan a great Chef and I ran the office and spent hours counting the takings.

We had a great line up of girls, good service staff and you would be lucky to find a seat after 7.30 at the weekends.

Then Ben started playing Poker.

Ben's no longer associated with the Bar / Hotel now , so what do you think is the issue ?

Is it true it's now closed until 1st Sept as mentioned earlier 

Damn! Guess I'll miss walking into an empty bar next month and have a couple of quiet beers while listening to Lulu singing, "To Sir With Love". Hey, if I'm the only guy in the joint, then they better be taking requests!

I think one of the major differences between Scooters/Secrets and the other Scooter locations, is that in those other spots, they were a part of the local scene that was visible for all to see who happened by. They compliment the areas they are located at.

The WS location however, is a place that you "gotta go there to get there", as it's location isn't really connected to the main nightlife area it claims to be attached to. It is instead separated from it's WS anchor, pretty much hidden away and out of sight, as having to go down an alley will only attract a very small crowd when where they are standing on WS before deciding to head down that alley, lays before them a feast for the senses. A dazzling kaleidoscope of neon lights, music, food smells, drink, women walking back and forth, and the promise of "come hither" delights with a plethora of ladies lined up in front of their respective venues enticing passers by with cheap happy hour drink prices.

WS is one of the great human parades on nightly display anywhere in the world and people are naturally attracted to people watching. The other Scooter locations don't have to compete with that as they are a part OF IT!

Makes for a tough go for Scooters/Secrets when it is where it is. Maybe by September and into the high season things might change, but after reading these recent posts, it doesn't appear likely.

I guess I'll have to venture  into a different bar while in Pattaya. Can anyone recommend another place to go to?

I'm open to suggestions!

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Yea, it's how I discovered the Rockhouse, via the Pattaya Live forum.

And also, as you say, from my last few times of viewing PL, it wouldn't give me much incentive to go there, quite the reverse in fact. 

But, I don't run PL or the Rockhouse, the bar has successfully been going for years, so what do I know ...

The Rockhouse still does well and I remember we used to regularly get told we were not the biggest spenders, that was reserved for others who came into the bar at the peak times which were usually passed my bed time.  Location of the Rockhouse is probably better and the forum may not have had such a large impact on the majority of it's patronage.

I can understand how a forum can (should) offer a higher patronage across it's threshold but it should have had an ability to attract many others who were not interested in a forum. I am sure the majority of members who have signed up previously to forums have never set foot in the associated bar, that certainly was the case with the Rockhouse (or so we were told)

As Tommy said the forums were massive in their day but staying competitive, creative, innovative is the way forward, maybe the forums just didn't keep up with what was required to maintain membership as well as the main inroad to it's parent bar.

43 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

The Rockhouse still does well and I remember we used to regularly get told we were not the biggest spenders, that was reserved for others who came into the bar at the peak times which were usually passed my bed time.  Location of the Rockhouse is probably better and the forum may not have had such a large impact on the majority of it's patronage.

I can understand how a forum can (should) offer a higher patronage across it's threshold but it should have had an ability to attract many others who were not interested in a forum. I am sure the majority of members who have signed up previously to forums have never set foot in the associated bar, that certainly was the case with the Rockhouse (or so we were told)

As Tommy said the forums were massive in their day but staying competitive, creative, innovative is the way forward, maybe the forums just didn't keep up with what was required to maintain membership as well as the main inroad to it's parent bar.

you are right dave.. but they couldnt keep up.  in fact  fb was carrying, at one time, more horny pics than any board wanted to.  5 yrs ago it reached the stage where bms were showing the girls pics that other had taken,  the girls got into sm, and along with fb getting massive, the forums have become chat rooms, like this one, but could not be relied on to launch and keep a bar flowing.

things are changing again tho.  fb, now the king of swing, is charging fortunes to share your posts with "friends".  you post from secrets and have x number of followers, well unless u pay them 10- dollars, only x/15 will see that post.  its how they will make their money.  

so there will be a change again, but not sure what it is.  i think it will be a return to forums and web pages.  and see people using fb to drive traffic to the web pages, and people working to make their web pages interesting enuf that users come again and again with a fb  post only becoming a reminder and not THE post

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

I always preferred forums to Thai related Facebook groups. 

Forums like this are way better for me ...

Same here , I don't follow any Thai related FB pages , all your friends can see what you "like" and comments you make , okay if you have a fake FB Page specifically for Thailand , but I was always worried about cross contamination..... so best to view only and not follow for me 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Well sounds a little dangerous to have a bar that relies on a forum, the bar for me should have been successful in it's own right and I would have been happy to have patronage via the forum but surely a business should be more associated with the actual bar product, the business offering.

Thai Visa ran a bar in Hua Hin but that didn't last long, I think the forum is still doing well so forums are not really related to how well an associated bar is doing and in the same vein a bar should be looking at a business plan that doesn't revolve (or rely) around a forum. 

Just my personal thoughts.

Maybe somebody took their eye off the ball.

New owner never had eye on ball

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Painter said:

I was trying to use a phone in the rain, with a battery that was threatening to die, whilst balancing an umbrella as it was precipitating!

Sorry they're not up to my usual high standards!!

You have high standards young man since when ???????

Heard this rumour few days ago ............ sad where we first met Darkling remember Merv he said this is !!! .................. hope life is good Si  :default_gathering:

Namps

5 hours ago, tommy dee said:

I am sure danny will be able to confirm that the hotel side is still open?  i know he isnt in the bar side but that the hotel was being looked at as a separarate entity.. Danny??

Hi Tommy,

Secrets Hotel is totally separate from the Bar, ring fenced if you like as are all its employees.

In other words, business as normal.

Got to get back to writing my memoirs "Secrets - an inside straight". :default_dirol:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Hi Tommy,

Secrets Hotel is totally separate from the Bar, ring fenced if you like as are all its employees.

Got to get back to writing my memoirs "Secrets - an inside straight". :default_dirol:

I would like a signed copy of that please

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Hi Tommy,

think u deserved that chance to confirm as i am sure u have bookings and dont want their bums twitching when they hear about the bar

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2