Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

11 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Not trying to start a rumor, just an honest question.

Othe authorities took action and closed the bar down for a period of time.

Anyone here have any information if this is true or not

I have no involvement with the bar however I am 100% certain that is untrue.

The decision to close the bar for a period is an internal matter.

And "Yes" Secrets Hotel is open as normal being a quite separate entity.

Edited by Jambo
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/5/2019 at 6:15 AM, Steelers4Life said:

A "short walk"? Damn, kudos to you for that. :default_bow: I could do a walk from Secrets to Soi 7 or 8. But I would have to take a nap afterwards. 💤 Note to Self: Start walking again on a regular basis.

P.S. Thanks for the reminder of how lazy I am here in Patts. 

This was in response to Thumper's original post Not Ivan. Sorry my bad.

Thumper does his walking stateside in a Rocky Mountain High elevation of around 5,000 feet in Colorado so with his lung build up from the much thinner air, a jovial jaunt at sea level from WS to Soi 6 is mere child's play for him.

What I can't figure out is how his feet don't bother him from wearing those high heels the whole way! 😜

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Pal of mine bought one, he can't run anymore so was looking for alternatives. Similar to Yesitsdakids post he'll watch a 30 minute quiz show and row away. Hard work!

He should listen to this while rowing.😀

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Thumper does his walking stateside in a Rocky Mountain High elevation of around 5,000 feet in Colorado so with his lung build up from the much thinner air, a jovial jaunt at sea level from WS to Soi 6 is mere child's play for him.

What I can't figure out is how his feet don't bother him from wearing those high heels the whole way! 😜

First off, Durango is at 6512 and the cabin is at 9000 feet. And secondly, the feet never really bother me..... plus the money's good.

Edited by thumper63
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

lack of a kitchen is a major drawback for the hotel

In reality, it makes little if any difference whatsoever to the Hotel.

Everybody says how great the food is in Secrets but historically less than 10% of Hotel customers ever eat food in Secrets.

Last month, which was very busy, every customer received a 100 Baht voucher each day to spend in the Bar/restaurant on food. That meant they could, for instance, have enjoyed an excellent freshly cooked breakfast for 39 baht.  A grand total of 12 vouchers were used.

In 13 years the kitchen  never made a profit mostly because the menu was always rediculously too large and the margins far too small.  You go to a gourmet restaurant for a gourmet meal not a bar. A bar should offer appropriate bar food of a good quality. There is a big difference between the two alternatives and Secrets paid the cost of one individuals delusions of grandure.

There is only one reason for offering food in a Bar.

To  stop the buying (drinking) customers wandering off when the carbohydrate debt kicks in sometime during the evening and it always does. That is whySecrets introduced a 100 baht Bar Snacks menu that proved to be very popular only for Ben to scrap it and introduce an even larger extended menu. Having to stock every item on that menu simply ensured the best fed kitchen staff ( and their family) in Pattaya from the items falling out of their sell by date.

My understanding is that when the Bar re-opens it will be offering quality Bar Food and in the evenings only.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

Everybody says how great the food is in Secrets but historically less than 10% of Hotel customers ever eat food in Secrets.

Last month, which was very busy, every customer received a 100 Baht voucher each day to spend in the Bar/restaurant on food. That meant they could, for instance, have enjoyed an excellent freshly cooked breakfast for 39 baht.  A grand total of 12 vouchers were used.

In 13 years the kitchen  never made a profit mostly because the menu was always rediculously too large and the margins far too small.  You go to a gourmet restaurant for a gourmet meal not a bar. A bar should offer appropriate bar food of a good quality. There is a big difference between the two alternatives and Secrets paid the cost of one individuals delusions of grandure.

To  stop the buying (drinking) customers wandering off when the carbohydrate debt kicks in sometime during the evening and it always does. That is whySecrets introduced a 100 baht Bar Snacks menu that proved to be very popular only for Ben to scrap it and introduce an even larger extended menu. Having to stock every item on that menu simply ensured the best fed kitchen staff ( and their family) in Pattaya from the items falling out of their sell by date.

My understanding is that when the Bar re-opens it will be offering quality Bar Food and in the evenings only.

good to hear your points Jambo.

I used to snack and eat there quite frequently so it would be  a loss to me .The food in most part was very good

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Post of distinction. 

Agree menu always way too large and poor young James who I loved to death when he took over with his sea bass ceviche. Oy vey ........ no chance.

Jambo struggles to spell haddock let alone ceviche. It's raw fish young man .......... 

Them 100 baht bar snacks awesome move as were the 100 Baht vouchers. For me Secrets died many deaths ..........

letting the bitch from Detroit go and running down daytime dancers etc ....... still think it should be a gold mine ......... as it was back in the day!!

But maybe the Western tourists are gone forever  so ...... Bangra Beat and Chinese House Mafia music, Gingham Style  and naked women .......... make a fortune in no time.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Post of distinction. 

Agree menu always way too large and poor young James who I loved to death when he took over with his sea bass ceviche. Oy vey ........ no chance.

Jambo struggles to spell haddock let alone ceviche. It's raw fish young man .......... 

Them 100 baht bar snacks awesome move as were the 100 Baht vouchers. For me Secrets died many deaths ..........

letting the bitch from Detroit go and running down daytime dancers etc ....... still think it should be a gold mine ......... as it was back in the day!!

But maybe the Western tourists are gone forever  so ...... Bangra Beat and Chinese House Mafia music, Gingham Style  and naked women .......... make a fortune in no time.

Secrets was  never the same after you headbutted the red button 😥

images.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Hahaha I remember being hunted on Shhh forum after commenting on Secrets being a "restaurant" ....

FFS, a brothel serving pub food. 😂😂😂

You have hit the nail on the head.  Very obvious now.  Secrets must have closed as their is no longer prostitution in Walking Street.  

• Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Hahaha I remember being hunted on Shhh forum after commenting on Secrets being a "restaurant" ....

FFS, a brothel serving pub food. 😂😂😂

Not by me you would not have been.

When I was General Manager I fought a continuous battle trying to get through to "HE you could not be criticised" that Secrets was effectively a bar and as such should sell just quality bar food not pretend we were some gourmet restaurant in Macau or Vegas.

ps - Just for the record. You really are a nasty waste of space.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Starshine said:

For your once only, one beer visit?

Several times, man....Even went through the effort of saluting the great Ben...

Assisted at the inaugural party with the female meet and greet...another genius idea...

Etc, etc, etc....  Would I have eaten there ? No, same.as I never eat in a any other bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Not by me you would not have been.

When I was General Manager I fought a continuous battle trying to get through to "HE you could not be criticised" that Secrets was effectively a bar and as such should sell just quality bar food not pretend we were some gourmet restaurant in Macau or Vegas.

ps - Just for the record. You really are a nasty waste of space.

Part 1: fully agreed

Part 2 : I just say things straight and in an objective manner. I don't, never had, and never will have the rose tinted glasses...

• Thumbs Up 2

I would eat in the bar every day when I was staying there. Would always start off with a good breakfast and do my " catching up on the Forums " in a  comfortable quiet area with a cup of coffee. I really liked the food and the service was always excellent. Young daytime Apple was a delight to flirt with. And I loved the vouchers, best idea in a long time. Where else can one get a 39 baht English Breakfast in this crazy town. Was sad on my last visit to hear Ben got rid of them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Always had breakfast there when we'd be there for the month, often dinner and/or a late meal in there too. 

I hope it will re-open and gain success with the bar & kitchen, it's been all part of the experience for our stays. 

Its still a great location for us, as WS is our favourite area.  Would be strange staying there without the bar/club/girls/food/partying etc downstairs though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

good to hear your points Jambo.

I used to snack and eat there quite frequently so it would be  a loss to me .The food in most part was very good

I enjoyed the hamburgers some arvo and had some thai meals with the staff all good enough for me.

regards

grayray

• Like 1

Years ago, I used to frequent a bar that had good hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries and very good simple hard shell tacos. Once in a while they prepared chili bean soup. If I want a good meal, I go to a good restaurant. The tacos were surprisingly the most popular and priced right with bowls of freshly prepared condiments, The chili was pretty tasty but they always quickly sold out. and didn't have it every day. I think it is a mistake for a bar to try to offer a large menu. Quickly prepared food with no chance for it to be out of date is the best route for a bar.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Even went through the effort of saluting the great Ben...

I only had a chat with him once over the years. After 2 minutes in I went through the effort to walk away. From that time on, I went through the effort of avoiding him when there. If I want to talk to a used car salesmen, I can do it at home. I really liked Secrets, but whenever I headed down there with friends, we would not call it Secrets. We called it, "Let's go down and see Larry."  or "Let's go down and see Phil."

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Steelers4Life said:

I only had a chat with him once over the years. After 2 minutes in I went through the effort to walk away. From that time on, I went through the effort of avoiding him when there. If I want to talk to a used car salesmen, I can do it at home. 

Same....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I only had a chat with him once over the years. After 2 minutes in I went through the effort to walk away. From that time on, I went through the effort of avoiding him when there. If I want to talk to a used car salesmen, I can do it at home. I really liked Secrets, but whenever I headed down there with friends, we would not call it Secrets. We called it, "Let's go down and see Larry."  or "Let's go down and see Phil."

That'd be a really good new name for the place, except that you'd have to change the name every time a new manager started. Unless he had the same name as the last one of course.

I'll shut up now. :default_1087:   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tailspin said:

Always had breakfast there when we'd be there for the month, often dinner and/or a late meal in there too. 

I hope it will re-open and gain success with the bar & kitchen, it's been all part of the experience for our stays. 

Its still a great location for us, as WS is our favourite area.  Would be strange staying there without the bar/club/girls/food/partying etc downstairs though.

I ate in the bar many times plus used room service a lot.

Always thought the food was good and value for money.

• Like 1