Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

1 hour ago, STARGAZER said:

who am I to say being an outsider and zero emotional attachment.....but sometimes that lens of objectivity can see things differently. Sometimes the vision of seeing the forest through the trees is just crystal clear.

Secrets, when primary ownership changed only had one thing they needed to do to have a good chance of success again....could even create some positivity out of the negativity that became associated with the brand...

That would of been to figure a way to give Larry a sizeable chunk of equity vested equally in 1/4s over a 4 year period, let him do what he was GREAT at, both from a forum and a day to day on property basis,  than surround him with a few folk who might be really good at what Larry might not be so great at, and just step aside as a silent or passive majority shareholder and let nature take its course.

I would venture to say nobody played a bigger role in the success of Secrets than Larry!

a great idea, but by then he had decided seriously to reitre and had done with no desire to go back to the 2 gallon a night pineapple juice consumption .  what would work is a mini Larry, slightly younger .. same skills, less affection for rats 5555

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, Jambo said:

That was not a statement issued by Paul or as far as I am aware issued with his approval by Scooters. It was one effectively soon corrected when an email written to a prospective Hotel guest was immediately posted on all the forums. The contents of that email was 100 % accurate at the time so it did not matter really but nevertheless, so much for confidentiality!

It was a year or so after Paul became owner of Secrets that I first spoke to him. I wanted to before that as I had this sinking feeling that he had been sold a pup by the previous owner but my wife kept reminding me "It's not  your business". Quite literally Sai's comment was correct yet I felt sorry for Paul and I did not even know him at the time. Having known that everyone else had got stitched up one way or another why should Paul be any different?

I do know Paul now and I really like the guy and he was sold a pup. He has worked tirelessly to try to keep Secrets (Scooters) going and in recent weeks doing so whilst having chemo for a new tumour next to his spine.

Anyone that risks their own personal capital in the entertainment business in Pattaya for the enjoyment of all of us who actually live here or visit here deserves to be applauded and receive our support. Paul has gone way beyond what probably made sound  economic sense and I KNOW he turned down several offers previously where none of the staff would have been retained. It has probably gone beyond that now but to this day he is working to try to ensure staff are paid what is due. He certainly does not deserve the criticism he has received on this forum by the circulating vultures just waiting to say "I told you so."

There are several members on this forum who so dislike Ben that they would rather see a business that Ben has not had an involvement in for years simply go under thus ensuring the staff are never paid. I have nothing but contempt for you ( I don't mean "YOU" personally Tommy 😛) and I say that as somebody whose last "conversation" with Ben was him screaming "call the police!"

Your last conversation with Ben,was him screaming for the police?

Jambo i saw the photos of the Phnom Penh opening night,you and Ben looked like you were joined at the hip,you were hugging him in most of the photos.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:11 PM, Baldylocks said:

I saw him in May, and he looking so much better than 12 months previously, looks like he has got himself back on track, health wise

I ran into him at The Office on LK 2 nights ago. He was using crutches when he walked in. Through noise of GG, he said he had an accident of some kind and showed me a photo on his leg on his phone right after the accident. Dunno if he fell or it was a motorbike accident. His ankle was three times it's normal size and black and blue. Horrid photo. I have known Adam for many years and for the past 5 I have felt like he should lay off the booze. But he hasn't and I worry about him when I am in is company. But as the TGs say, "What can I do?" 

• Great Info 2

24 minutes ago, canadaman said:

Jambo i saw the photos of the Phnom Penh opening night,you and Ben looked like you were joined at the hip,you were hugging him in most of the photos.

Welcome to the forum. Interesting first post.

At that time, at Ben's personal request, I had just completed 3 months work setting up the Cambodian Hotel's reservation system, creating the booking sites with the Agents and 4 days training the staff in how to use the new system. I had also paid for my return flight to Cambodia to do the staff training for which I expected to be reimbursed. I gave the first month of the 3 months work free to Ben as my contribution to the new venture.

The Opening Night was a happy occasion and I was very satisfied at the culmination of my contribution hopefully to the future success of Secrets Cambodia.

I had no reason to believe I would not be paid as agreed as Ben had once been my friend and for some reason that now escapes me I still trusted him.

I was also at that time not banned by Ben from Secrets forum having been one of the founder members for over 13 years.

The incident you refer to occured many months after the Opening Night and in Thailand not in Cambodia. Much water had flowed under the bridge by then all of it murky.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Welcome to the forum. Interesting first post.

At that time, at Ben's personal request, I had just completed 3 months work setting up the Cambodian Hotel's reservation system, creating the booking sites with the Agents and 4 days training the staff in how to use the new system. I had also paid for my return flight to Cambodia to do the staff training for which I expected to be reimbursed. I gave the first month of the 3 months work free to Ben as my contribution to the new venture.

The Opening Night was a happy occasion and I was very satisfied at the culmination of my contribution hopefully to the future success of Secrets Cambodia.

I had no reason to believe I would not be paid as agreed as Ben had once been my friend and for some reason that now escapes me I still trusted him.

I was also at that time not banned by Ben from Secrets forum having been one of the founder members for over 13 years.

The incident you refer to occured many months after the Opening Night and in Thailand not in Cambodia. Much water had flowed under the bridge by then all of it murky.

Fair enough Jambo,youre not the only one hes burnt,his partners in Cambodia have now woken up to that fact.

• Surprised 1

9 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

For sure we have folk on this thread who miraculously survived not just a first dose of the kool-aide, but a second one as well. What is shocking though is some are obviously waiting for a 3rd and final fatal dose.

Mind boggling!

Couldn't have said it better.

The blindness of some people amazes me .....

2 hours ago, canadaman said:

I am sure that if you were working for someone you would always put on a united front for the public, if not you wouldnt last 5 mins :)  Jambo was probably the most loyal of employees they ever had to be fair.  He would never say anything derogatory about them until the end.  a lot of companies would give their left nut for that kind of loyalty, especially here

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

I am sure that if you were working for someone you would always put on a united front for the public, if not you wouldnt last 5 mins 🙂 Jambo was probably the most loyal of employees they ever had to be fair.  He would never say anything derogatory about them until the end.  a lot of companies would give their left nut for that kind of loyalty, especially here

I agree,but surely he knew that showing loyalty or trust in Ben,was going to end in getting burnt.Dont get me wrong,i know Jambo is a great guy.

The new partners in the Phnom Penh Secrets were warned to keep an eye on Ben,and they did,now the shit has hit the fan over there.

• Surprised 1

22 minutes ago, canadaman said:

I agree,but surely he knew that showing loyalty or trust in Ben,was going to end in getting burnt.Dont get me wrong,i know Jambo is a great guy.

The new partners in the Phnom Penh Secrets were warned to keep an eye on Ben,and they did,now the shit has hit the fan over there.

The shit has hit the fan over there? Please explain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadaman said:

So Benjamin is running out of buttons? 🤔🤣🤣🤣

What a shame 🤡

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, roomark said:

So Benjamin is running out of buttons? 🤔🤣🤣🤣

What a shame 🤡

No reason to think Secrets Cambodia would buck the down trend of British visitors and likewise all countries that use the Euro coming to SEA. Sterling and the Euro weakness follow us wherever we go

34 minutes ago, RR007 said:

No reason to think Secrets Cambodia would buck the down trend of British visitors and likewise all countries that use the Euro coming to SEA. Sterling and the Euro weakness follow us wherever we go

Better target those great Chinese visitors .....🤣🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Better target those great Chinese visitors .....🤣🤣🤣

Wooing Chinese tourists is a tough, probably impossible job. They try to patronize only Chinese owned places. 😜

• Like 1

Everyone who has ever shopped at Big C Extra knows the standard price for helping you with your groceries into a truck and taking you to your condo / hotel is 200 baht. Not more not less. Yesterday, I was walking in and couldn't help but listen to a Chinese family with a full grocery cart throw loud a fit that saawng loi was too expensive. They were yap yaping that they wanted the ride for 50 baht. khee niaao maak maak the lot of those f**kers. The Thai guy with the truck remained calm and just chuckled at them. Only 6 bucks to take you and your groceries home here and help you with the bags. Shit, that would cost me at least 20 bucks at home. 

Rant over -Sorry to veer off the subject.  

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1